Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097278 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank
« Reply #2295 on: October 25, 2016, 12:56:34 PM »
WT?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2296 on: October 25, 2016, 03:49:04 PM »
W. T.   My oldest son made his first pass
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2297 on: November 06, 2016, 07:20:51 PM »
Thanks again to the unknown Photographer who caught W.T.'s first pass at El M in Oct. and  posted on another site!! John sent it to me.  Thanks to all who make EL M possible!!!!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 07:23:29 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2298 on: November 06, 2016, 07:29:59 PM »
Car looks good Bill... even in the dirt  :-o

:cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2299 on: November 06, 2016, 07:39:18 PM »
Thanks  SS 1   we are beginning to get it sorted out---I plan on driving next weekend  will be my first pass with the new canopy!!

Offline jpm49c

« Reply #2300 on: November 06, 2016, 08:11:32 PM »
 :cheers:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2301 on: November 07, 2016, 02:54:42 AM »
Thanks again to the unknown Photographer who caught W.T.'s first pass at El M in Oct. and  posted on another site!! John sent it to me.  Thanks to all who make EL M possible!!!!

That's a very special photo. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2302 on: November 07, 2016, 09:20:51 AM »
I agree I wish the light wasn't quite so flat so I could see what the dust was doing!!   I think we have a fairly "clean" car.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2303 on: November 13, 2016, 09:57:22 PM »
well snake bit we are--- after 6 trips to EL M  we are still not  2 line qualified---I was the fat old driver this trip and I kicked a rod out just after shifting in to OD in low gear at just over 100  but we rolled merrily  on down the track due to the freewheel aspect of the Gear Vendor---

So we have our work cut out for us this winter---new shifter-- new gauges and controls to enable the driver to control the transmission GV better---oh  evaluate the eng and or class situation

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2304 on: November 13, 2016, 10:16:28 PM »
Forget to add STP to the last change  :roll:

Shit happens Bill  :cheers: and better luck next year
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2305 on: November 14, 2016, 12:48:17 AM »
That's ruff Mate, diagnose the engine failure, don't just accept it.
Have you thought about running a 4L80E? You can run them manual without the ECU, put a switch on the converter lockup & they are as tough as hell in stock trim. We have a $150 Craigslist one living on the back of a twin turbo Duramax.
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2306 on: November 14, 2016, 07:51:55 AM »
Sid,  I have thought of it---I have 2--

but I haven't  found Trans companies who would speculate how well the OD would hold up with 1000-1500 HP ---also the 2.48 low would could be a bit much  but it is something to REALLY consider---then with maybe a lower rear ratio  :-D

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2307 on: November 14, 2016, 07:53:33 AM »
The other consideration is the special geared AT 400 or AT 475 with the helical rear gears with the HD

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #2308 on: November 14, 2016, 11:08:31 AM »
Sid,  I have thought of it---I have 2--

but I haven't  found Trans companies who would speculate how well the OD would hold up with 1000-1500 HP ---also the 2.48 low would could be a bit much  but it is something to REALLY consider---then with maybe a lower rear ratio  :-D

I think the 4L80E is a great transmission and have one built by the same guy that has been building your transmissions and it would be fine at B'ville to those HP levels in 1-3 but also question the OD handling it.  

Not sure the others know what you are trying to do or not.  With the powerglide you would like to go 1st, 1st overdrive with the Gear Vendors, then to direct and not overdrive and then overdrive.

Not sure if your PG has the 1.76 or 1.82 1st but if you could split the gears like you want to then I think you would end up with better ratios than the 4L80E that has 2.48 (1st), 1.48 (2nd), 1.00 (direct), 0.75 (OD).

With the 1.76 PG you would have 1.76 (1st), 1.37 (1st - OD), 1.00 (direct), .78 (OD)

With the 1.82 PG you would have 1.82 (1st), 1.42 (1st - OD), 1.00 (direct), .78 (OD)

I know that splitting the shifts is not easy from the driver's standpoint and takes time but might not big a deal at B'ville with the longer track vs. El Mirage where you are done so quickly.  

Another option but probably not enough space in the car would be the 4L80E with the GV OD behind it.

Probably forget 1st (except maybe El Mirage) but 1st OD might be good at 1.93.  Don't use the 4L80E's maybe weak .75 OD but use the GV .78 OD.

Ratios would be 2.48 (1st), 1.93 (1st - OD), 1.48 (2nd), 1.15 (2nd - OD), 1.00 (direct), .78 (GV -OD)  Might not use all of those and maybe with the right rearend at El Mirage use 1st to direct and take advantage of the .15 drop between 2nd-OD and direct.

Lots of options, give us something to talk about when I see you next week,

Sumner

« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 11:11:06 AM by Sumner »

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2309 on: November 14, 2016, 12:17:50 PM »
Sid,  I have thought of it---I have 2--

but I haven't  found Trans companies who would speculate how well the OD would hold up with 1000-1500 HP ---also the 2.48 low would could be a bit much  but it is something to REALLY consider---then with maybe a lower rear ratio  :-D
The 4L80E O/D planetary is actually bigger than the G/V unit. Mate, you ain't gunna hurt one with 1500 puny's! :roll:. If you're not game to build one yourself, any trans shop can freshen one up with a Hughes Red kit.
The high mileage used one hanging on the back of the Twin turbo Duramax was going to be a temporary to get it on the road 3 yrs ago & we figured once we turned up the boost & blew through the clutches we'd build a stout one. Well....after many drag strips, plus running Drag Week, plus a blown up engine, plus 30K+ miles & three sets of Hoosiers & a blown up Jones quickchange, it's still in there. :-o
I would have used one in the liner but didn't want to turn the T-cases & drivelines that fast so I went with a 400 & O/D's on the pinions.
 The G/V is the old Laycock unit from England that was in old Jags & BMC junk back when Adam was a cowboy, G/V bought the rights & tooling for them. I sure don't like the free wheeling sprag clutch for a race car.
  Sid.