Author Topic: Schimmer and Son "I" class fuel lakester:  (Read 161528 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: Schimmer and Son "I" class fuel lakester:
« Reply #315 on: July 21, 2022, 07:33:51 PM »
George,
I have 10 gallons of VP M-5 which is about 5-7% "soda pop". We plan to give it a try on the dyno when we get the engine back.
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #316 on: August 21, 2022, 03:12:01 PM »
Pretty much have the car back together as we were planning on the WOS but that is now canceled so we are going to finish the details and then put it on the dyno at Chuckle's Garage to get a basic tune and maybe try some M-5 VP. Then home, clean up the shop, put a cover over it and maybe think about a weekend at El Mo.

About time I drag out my old roadster and start reviving it again. Lots of ideas for some changes but just sketches right now. Something to keep me out of the bars this winter!

Rex
Rex

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #317 on: August 21, 2022, 03:45:11 PM »
Yeah I really figured you for pi$$ing your money away at the bar! :roll:
  Sid.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #318 on: August 21, 2022, 04:31:40 PM »

Now that is a trick lil roadster!

Offline Tman

« Reply #319 on: August 24, 2022, 12:36:23 PM »
Always dug your "roaster"!

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #320 on: May 06, 2023, 04:43:21 PM »
My "partner" Duke and I spent Friday on the dyno at the place he works, Chuckle's Garage. We made 9 pulls and we probably saved 2-3 days of running time at the salt. Got a pretty good tune up and should be able to correct it for the air density at Bonneville. Made the most HP we ever have and if you take the SAE correction factor for air density/temp and a little additional for being in second gear, chain drive and tire deflection my "guess" is that crank shaft HP is around 210.
We tested on straight methanol but I had some VP M5, which is supposed to be oxygenated so we drained the tank and poured some in. The results were not impressive, maybe 1 HP but it took out our O2 sensor. It could be that because the fuel was old, I have had it for 2 years, it my have lost some "zip". It was in a standard VP 5 gallon can and had the factory seal. Maybe it needed a slightly different tune,but with only showing a 1 hp increase we decided not to screw with it.
So we are in good shape for Speed Week now lets' all pray for good salt.

Rex and Duke
Rex

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #321 on: May 07, 2023, 11:19:19 AM »
That hotrod is spot-on..Bravo.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #322 on: August 06, 2023, 03:34:43 PM »
Just a note regarding Speed Week, Duke and I after a lot of discussion have decided not to attend. To us is sounds like 2019 all over again and our little car needs a hard, smooth track to even come close to our class record and driving thru 5 miles of ruts, bumps and salt slush won't help us toward that goal. We are planning to run the World of Speed event, which we did in 2019 with good results. Long range weather reports "appear" to be positive and most of all dry.

Hope to see you all there.

Rex and Duke
Rex

Offline Tman

« Reply #323 on: August 07, 2023, 05:34:45 PM »
My "partner" Duke and I spent Friday on the dyno at the place he works, Chuckle's Garage. We made 9 pulls and we probably saved 2-3 days of running time at the salt. Got a pretty good tune up and should be able to correct it for the air density at Bonneville. Made the most HP we ever have and if you take the SAE correction factor for air density/temp and a little additional for being in second gear, chain drive and tire deflection my "guess" is that crank shaft HP is around 210.
We tested on straight methanol but I had some VP M5, which is supposed to be oxygenated so we drained the tank and poured some in. The results were not impressive, maybe 1 HP but it took out our O2 sensor. It could be that because the fuel was old, I have had it for 2 years, it my have lost some "zip". It was in a standard VP 5 gallon can and had the factory seal. Maybe it needed a slightly different tune,but with only showing a 1 hp increase we decided not to screw with it.
So we are in good shape for Speed Week now lets' all pray for good salt.

Rex and Duke

A note on Alky vs. gas. My old Flex Fuel ranger would do the same switching between E85 and normal unleaded. Usually after some miles and a couple tanks the computer would relearn and be OK

Offline desotoman

« Reply #324 on: August 07, 2023, 06:07:23 PM »
Just a note regarding Speed Week, Duke and I after a lot of discussion have decided not to attend. To us is sounds like 2019 all over again and our little car needs a hard, smooth track to even come close to our class record and driving thru 5 miles of ruts, bumps and salt slush won't help us toward that goal. We are planning to run the World of Speed event, which we did in 2019 with good results. Long range weather reports "appear" to be positive and most of all dry.

Hope to see you all there.

Rex and Duke

Rex and Duke,

Better to be safe, then sorry. IMO you made the right decision. Good luck at WOS as it is a great event.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.