Author Topic: I dream of salt.........from England  (Read 2037 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: I dream of salt.........from England
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2023, 12:53:59 PM »
Once the turbo is attached and IF you build the motor to take lots of boost actual engine selection is almost a non player.  I noted that the CX500 is a shaft drive which has allowed the use of a differential and obviously eliminates the need for a PIA chain and Killer has made the rear suspension fully independent so he is ahead of most of the rest of us with live rear axles. I think that I would suggest getting the coil overs out of the air stream, as cars with limited power every aero improvement is better that adding horsepower.

You might think about going with methanol and running in the fuel class as you can run some pretty high boost and not need an intercooler and since the blown gas and blown fuel are very close your goal is basically the same.

Again, a great start. Keep the info coming.

Rex

Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline edinlr

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2023, 02:26:50 PM »
I totally agree with Rex's post above about running in the fuel class.  Anderson Miller Racing has run their homebuilt CX500 turbo on methanol and are running 140mph with a lightly modified motor. I think their dyno results are in the 130hp range and I am guessing there is still another 25+ horsepower that could be added if needed.  If however the CX motor doesn't cut it, the old Honda Interceptor 500 is being run at incredible speeds.  Good luck and keep us posted.
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2023, 12:27:42 AM »
I disagree with most of that. A chain drive is more efficient than a differential, that's why most bikes still have them plus it makes infinite ratio changes easy & when you're dealing with low hp engines of any kind that is an absolutely necessity for getting maximum performance.
An axle shaft with upper & lower links hanging out in the breeze are important in a single seater going into a turn but we don't have turns in LSR so there's no reason to add the drag of two extra links plus whatever it needs in the form of a sway bar hanging out there.
How can engine selection "almost be a non player"? HP is made by how much air an engine can flow (lb's per hr), not by how much boost (air restriction) that is built up in front of it. Equal boost number is never going to get the same performance from a good flowing engine & a bad flowing engine.
  Sid. 

Offline killerkel

• New folks
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2023, 07:43:57 AM »
I am new to this (LSR) so I am very happy to hear all you views and suggestions.

with regards to the final drive.
Well, I have designed it to use both, so the shaft from the back of engine feeds a 90 degree drive to a sprockets and chain to the final drive shaft.
This allows me to easily change the final drive gearing....when running with CX500T

I know I could have turned the engine 90 degrees and just fitted a sprocket to the engine drive.
But my plan is to try and make the engine mounts and final drive interchangeable with another engine (500cc diesel).

Aslo I do race F3 500 here...and all my race cars run on Methanol...so I may go down that route too.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2023, 02:46:19 PM »
You're giving away HP with that drive combo Mate, even if at best, high gear in the bike trans is 1 to 1 & the gear drive for the chain drive is 1 to 1. Then you have an independent rear axle setup that needs axle u-joints that take more of that HP you don't have a lot of in the first place!
A bunch of years ago I helped a friend design a J/GL with a solid mounted go-cart type rear axle to optimize HP. It broke the record & upped it a few times before they retired it. It was a bit of a rough ride at low speed but it payed the bills on the top end.
You are obviously influenced by your single seater cars but Bonneville requires a totally different vehicle than a circuit racer. 
Keeping your build simple will get you here sooner & give you better results. Like many you're probably thinking that building something & running it here will fulfil your dreams, well it won't!:roll:  This is an addiction & you'll need to go faster so think about being able to evolve the car with minimal design changes.
If I can be any help to you, send me a pm & I'll send you an email. I live in Idaho & have been at this LSR thing for over 30 years with lakesters & liners & my new liner is a 4WD AA/BFS.
  Sid.
  Sid.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2023, 02:58:42 PM »
I'll disagree with Sid on only one point.

You may not set a record but there is an immense sense of accomplishment and satisfaction of having actually driven a car that you built by yourself on the Salt Flats of Bonneville. "It's hallowed ground, Mate!"
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2023, 11:53:34 PM »
Killer... lots of good advice
This is straight line racing, no turns tighter than 1/4 mile.
To go fast you need to put as much of your motor power as you can to your wheels
As Sid and I will always tell you... keep as much as you can hidden from the wind... and the parts in the wind as small as possible

My car is a chain drive to a live rear axle, no portion of the suspension, front or rear, is in the air.  You will want your suspension movement to be limited and stiff... JMO... look at Bockscar 2.0 for ideas of how to do that.

Very few folks want to spend the time and money building to come out and make a couple of passes... as Sid said it is an addiction.... but I have to agree with Neil, there is satisfaction in doing it, but everyone wants to set a record. 
Be prepared to become addicted  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O