Author Topic: Tunnel of Love  (Read 12008 times)

Offline Larry Forstall

Tunnel of Love
« on: February 16, 2011, 10:54:52 AM »
On Valentine's Day I took my baby to the A2 Wind Tunnel. She brought along a friend. Having to drive across the country to race for decades the East Coast has the advantage of a convenient, economical (for a wind tunnel) testing facility. We learned a lot and I must thank David Salazar for his patience as we asked many questions. I can now see why the Nascar teams test frequently. Every change has multiple effects. We made drag reduction gains that would be impossible to accomplish with HP (The Guppy is a N/A bike). This is the 21st century and air management testing is as important as the engine dyno. The 3000 HP electric motors drive the fans at 85 mph. Each test takes 3 minutes and the rider must not move. Standing in the tunnel as the wind is sucked by you is an unique experience. I'm hooked, can't wait to see what the salt thinks this summer.
Bill Warner's 278 mph mile bike.

Offline sabat

Re: Tunnel of Love
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 11:50:43 AM »
Thanks again for sharing Larry, beautiful pics. I can hardly wait to see how fast these bikes are this year.  :cheers: -Dean

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 12:54:51 PM »
I got to go out and gofer for these guys. Never has a gofer had more fun or learned more. It was a unique experience. :mrgreen:

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 05:59:27 PM »
Here is a little smoke
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 06:08:57 PM »
Getting ready for the first pull. OOPS first pull
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH

Offline Kool Performance

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 06:45:26 PM »
Going to A2 is the best money you will ever spend on your car or bike. We recently took a very special and unusual project for a friend. We started with a 1000 lbs of lift. We left with over 300 pounds of down force on the front. As well as reduced drag about a 100 Hp. Drag is important, but lift is even more important in my mind.  Getting light usually equals a spin, which can be very expensive and dangerous.

Will post a pic when I get time

Steve
Jack Rogers Racing

Offline TRNorBRN6001

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 08:08:29 PM »
Thanks for sharing, very, very cool stuff!!!!

Yep, lift on a bike is not good. I think it might have contributed to one rider going down at Texas.

Offline BALS aSALT

• Go Fast Be Safe...oh, and hold my Redbull
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 08:16:52 PM »
very very cool, thanks for the share. :cheers:
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 08:24:44 PM »
The pics are great, thanks for sharing. Can you tell those of us who are aerodynamically challeged what changes you made that the wind tunnel revealed?
Thanks,
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline osti

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 08:27:03 PM »
Great stuff guys. Thanks for all the pics.  8-)

Offline osti

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 08:38:16 PM »
The pics are great, thanks for sharing. Can you tell those of us who are aerodynamically challeged what changes you made that the wind tunnel revealed?
Thanks,
Don

I'm sure he could post the knowledge they gained. but why would he? They spent thousands of dollars to go to the tunnel and test. He would be nuts to give that info away for free IMO. That's just my .02

After all, we are racing...  :wink:

Offline Kool Performance

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 09:24:25 PM »
About sharing information. Rest assured the guys at A2 WILL NOT share secrets or tricks. They will help guide you and help you understand the basic principles of air flow. But that is as far as they will go, confidentiality is very important in there business.

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 10:33:30 PM »
Ok, so the post was not to share information, but just to make us jealous instead. It worked.
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 12:05:06 AM »
Does A2 have the tufting yarn/tape on hand?
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 09:33:56 AM »
No you have to supply your own yarn and tape. Actually takes some time to put on. Don: Unless we both had exactly stock bikes and identical riders most of the information learned only applies to the test vehicle. I can confirm that bikes have marginal front downforce. The reason we went to the tunnel was that the Guppy chunked a front tire at speed. I had added front weight and I thought it and downforce caused the tire problem. Close inspection of the tire and the WT data make me pretty sure we just ran over something. Most know the old Daytona trick of lifting your butt to add speed. I have used it in the Production class; on the Guppy it does not work. What we learned is to not assume anything; it might seem wrong but try it, you might just go faster.   Larry