Landracing Forum Home
November 20, 2017, 01:03:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:
BACK TO LANDRACING.COM HOMEPAGE

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

(Note: Donations are not tax deductible)

Live Audio Streaming and Archives of Past Events
Next Live Event: TBD
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wheeler Racing 2011 Quest for 200 MPH  (Read 4201 times)
fredvance

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 04:06:05 PM »

I had around 230hp last year and went 205 naked.

WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing
Briz

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 06:56:27 PM »

Racer; I shall be very interested to see whether you really have cracked the problems of rubber-mounting an engine in a rigid frame (although I'm now confused with the talk of using 'Busa suspension...?)
I've probably spent as much time working with rubbermounts as anybody; and I've not come across a setup which works well.
Obviously, as others have mentioned, if you rubber mount a chain/belt drive engine & trans in a frame without rear suspension, then as soon as you apply power, the drivetrain will pull itself backwards to the full extent that the rubbers will distend. The chain then comes off.
So; you introduce some means of stopping the engine moving back. Tie-rods etc. Trouble is, you then transmit all the horizontal vibrations into the frame but none of the vertical ones. As most engines vibrate in an elliptical motion, this ellipse is cut into jagged zig-zags.
The result is a much nastier vibration than would have happened with a solidly mounted engine. Cant keep feet on pegs, extremities (like light lenses) shattering. I once saw a license plate moving back & forth about 2 inches, when you could only flex it about a half inch by hand...
So, as I say, If you've avoided these pitfalls, I'll be very impressed.

racer

Impound 2009. sweetest spot at Bonneville.

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 02:53:24 AM »

thanks.... we've designed a bed that runs from the front frame rails to the tip of the bottom portion of the rear fender, this foundation will rest on 8 rubber isolators that are secured to frame cross members. we will use heim joints to align and control movement of the bed.
Todays plan is to use a chain tensioner, or two on the rear chain.....at least that's todays plan thats subject to change as we head to the finish line.
will post photos soon.

Racer; I shall be very interested to see whether you really have cracked the problems of rubber-mounting an engine in a rigid frame (although I'm now confused with the talk of using 'Busa suspension...?)
I've probably spent as much time working with rubbermounts as anybody; and I've not come across a setup which works well.
Obviously, as others have mentioned, if you rubber mount a chain/belt drive engine & trans in a frame without rear suspension, then as soon as you apply power, the drivetrain will pull itself backwards to the full extent that the rubbers will distend. The chain then comes off.
So; you introduce some means of stopping the engine moving back. Tie-rods etc. Trouble is, you then transmit all the horizontal vibrations into the frame but none of the vertical ones. As most engines vibrate in an elliptical motion, this ellipse is cut into jagged zig-zags.
The result is a much nastier vibration than would have happened with a solidly mounted engine. Cant keep feet on pegs, extremities (like light lenses) shattering. I once saw a license plate moving back & forth about 2 inches, when you could only flex it about a half inch by hand...
So, as I say, If you've avoided these pitfalls, I'll be very impressed.

Ray C Wheeler
TURK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 05:30:46 PM »

Allright Wheeler whats going on,mines allready!!!---Turk

Kansas Margareta,mix methanol & salt add one Harley
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: