Author Topic: Craig Breedlove 1963 1964 FIM land speed record medallion???  (Read 9539 times)

Offline oldskoolflyer13

• New folks
Craig Breedlove 1963 1964 FIM land speed record medallion???
« on: January 02, 2011, 04:39:18 PM »
I had bought this medallion over a year ago on ebay and never inquired about its origins and history as to who made them, how many, and how one could have acquired this back in the day? I posted on the HAMB with no luck......someone recommended trying to post it here. I just wanna who those basic questions....any help at all would be great. can find me on the HAMB as oldskoolflyer13 or leave replies on here

Offline oldskoolflyer13

• New folks
Re: Craig Breedlove 1963 1964 FIM land speed record medallion???
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 07:38:51 AM »
someone on here must have seen one of these before......anyone?

Offline oldskoolflyer13

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 08:14:22 AM »
I tried posting this in misc with no responses. Anywho, I purchased this medallion over a year ago...I never inquired much about it recently until i posted it on the HAMB. Someone recommended posting this over here. Here is what I'm looking for:

1) how old is this?
2) who made it?
3) how would one have gotten this (i.e. cereal box, mail order, event vendor....etc)?
4) are there a lot made and how much is it worth (i spent between $20-30 on it)?

I dont plan on selling it, this is all for personal info. Im looking for a model of "Spirit of America" to put in a case with this as well

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 10:03:35 AM »
What are you accomplishing by double posting? If anyone has an answer they'll post back.

Pete

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 12:40:38 PM »
Thanks for pointing it out, PJ.  I just merged the two topics into this one -- under the Bville general chat heading.  No big deal having the two -- just easier on those (like me) that want to read each and every post.

H N Y.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline oldskoolflyer13

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 01:53:58 PM »
What are you accomplishing by double posting? If anyone has an answer they'll post back.

Pete

wasnt sure what category to post this under. I couldnt figure out how to delete the other, and I figured this would be read more in this section. Im not a regular on here.....just a HAMB guy with love for LSR who is trying to find some answers. Wasnt trying to ruffle feathers or offend anyone by doing this.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 08:54:04 PM »
Well it is obviously a fake... I can cushion your loss, I'll give ya $10 for it....  :roll:
Just so you know we are a friendy bunch over here....  :-D

It is a cool piece, I'll bet someone has seen one before, be patient some of us are here a lot, others once a week or so.  Have you tried getting in touch with Craig B?
Good luck with the search
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 09:23:21 PM »
I think he is living in Mexico now. Landspeed Louise might know
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 09:25:09 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Tman

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 09:32:03 PM »

Pete

wasnt sure what category to post this under. I couldnt figure out how to delete the other, and I figured this would be read more in this section. Im not a regular on here.....just a HAMB guy with love for LSR who is trying to find some answers. Wasnt trying to ruffle feathers or offend anyone by doing this.

Glad to see you post this here. Someone will know. I do not think you stepped on any toes.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 09:37:32 PM »
e-mail Louise    louise@landspeedproductions.biz    She was a team member for Breedlove.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 09:51:55 PM »
I had bought this medallion over a year ago on ebay and never inquired about its origins and history as to who made them, how many, and how one could have acquired this back in the day? I posted on the HAMB with no luck......someone recommended trying to post it here. I just wanna who those basic questions....any help at all would be great. can find me on the HAMB as oldskoolflyer13 or leave replies on here
I would like to know what you find out about the medallions. I have Louise's phone # if you need it.
Rick
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 10:06:53 PM by Richard 2 »
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline Tman

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 10:08:43 PM »
And if anyone can help, the flyer has started collecting all things Breedlove. A lot worse things to collect I might add!

Offline oldskoolflyer13

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 06:50:32 AM »
I would like to know what you find out about the medallions. I have Louise's phone # if you need it.
Rick

Thanks Rick! Out of respect I'm gonna try and email her first. I think we are on the trail now. If I had a way of getting a hold of Breedlove.....I would have gone straight to the source. Would love to meet the man himself....he may be no pro basketball, baseball, or football star....but to me legends of the salt were my hero's

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 03:32:32 PM »
Just FYI

Posted by George Klass on the HAMB:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh wow, I haven't seen one of those medalions in over 40 years. I used to give 'em away. Craig had them minted in honor of the 1963 runs that resulted in the 400+ LSR at the salt flats. We gave 'em away at cars shows. We didn't show the three-wheel car that much. We repaired it after the dump in the canal, and put it in a few shows in the L.A. area, but then it was trucked back to Chicago to the Museum of Science & Industry, where it's been on display ever since. We learned after that that there was money to be made at these shows (we were a booked in display) and showed the four-wheel car all over the country before it was given to Goodyear for their own use. :-D
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline JonAmo

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 05:29:44 PM »
When I owned the website, I sold many of those medallions over the years. I think I actually sold about 8 of them. The first few I fetched $50 for, then they were getting hard to find the last of the group I had I fetched about $75 each for them. I think I have a couple more that I kept for myself.

Good info on the post above on the history of them.

JonAmo