Author Topic: Texas MG Build  (Read 11884 times)

Offline possum

• New folks
Texas MG Build
« on: December 23, 2010, 09:29:49 PM »
I am building a MG for modified sport. This project started a few years back when I purchased a project MG at a swap meet the car was rough and had a 3.4 Chevy v-6 installed but not running, the plan at this time was for a fun street car. After a weekend at the Texas Mile as a spectator I started to research using the car for both street and trips to Goliad. Meanwhile hurricane Ike hit the island(I live in Galveston) and the car was under 4 ft of water for a couple of hours just enough to ruin the majority of the running gear, so the decision was made to skip the street part and use the car for racing. After towing to a friends shop nearby the car was stripped to the tub sandblasted and the rust cut out(not much left at this point). A new base was made of 2x2x.188 square tubing stretching the frame to accommodate a 3 liter Nissan twin turbo v-6 and 5 speed. bracing and roll cage were made of 1 5/8 .120 tubing. The suspension is basically stock MG with road racing springs shock valving in front and leaf springs with tube shocks in back. Rear axle is a narrowed 10 bolt Chevy. Hopefully the car will be ready for Maxton this spring, plans are to run the car first with the motor stock and sort the chassis then go through the motor. Tried attaching pictures but received error message (not a computer genius).

Offline debgeo

Re: Texas MG Build
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 11:38:36 PM »
Welcome aboard. Work on getting picures. We love seeing and following progress. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
George---Sidecar in progress

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 01:07:23 AM »
MG, eh?  That marque has a grand history at Bonneville going back to the late 1930's. 

B? Midget? BGT? A?  Which one you starting with?

Sounds like you're heading into Modified Sport territory, although the MGB-GT might fall into a coupe class these days - 1 5/8 cage would keep you legal at those kind of speeds -  and the Nissan is a killer motor.

Texas would be a fun event for such a car.  If you're thinking Bonneville or Maxton, get a rule book ASAP, and I'm really not kidding.  You can wind up a long way down the wrong road before you realize you need a map.

I encourage you to check out Hotshue's build diary (Bonneville Bugeye), and if you'd like to know how NOT to do it, you can check out mine (Milwaukee Midget).

Boy Howdy - welcome aboard, mate!  :cheers:

PS - Need some parts? :-D

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline possum

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 01:34:11 AM »
car is a 1966 mk2 midget have rule books for both scta and ecta memorized both before serious work started, also have run once at Maxton with a stock Supra. Not my first brit car did scca in the early 70's with a bugeye.  BTW took all lucas parts out of car.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 11:35:42 AM »
BTW took all lucas parts out of car.

And Lo, the Prince of Darkness was banished from the Garages of Morris, and there was much rejoicing in the land.

:cheers:

« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 05:26:04 PM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 12:04:23 PM »
The 2011 rulebooks will be printed and released to the purchasing public soon after the beginning of the new year.  Make sure you're using that newest one as you build.

Best wishes, and Welcome!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline possum

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 01:52:55 PM »
here is a try at my pile of parts

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 01:56:41 PM »
Well, with all those parts, you should be busy for a while!

Cool build, keep us posted!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 07:07:12 PM »
I recognise those wheel arches!

Slick adaptation of the front stub.  Be cautious of your stops on the swivel axles - depending on your wheel offset, 15" tires will rub just a tad north of the triangulation at full lock.

Offline possum

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 12:55:12 PM »
Work has been slow on the car however we did get the body mounted. Most of the sub assemblies have been mocked up in the past. Next is to paint and reassemble the rear suspension and axle. The front has been painted and is ready to be put  back together. hope to have it rolling soon. didget some new pictures.

Offline possum

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 12:58:08 PM »
Missed getting other pictures.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
Don't want to be a pest, but if you've got some shots of how the body is mounted, I'd love to see them.

Any drawings or plans for the front end?

Go get 'em, Tex.

Offline possum

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 11:12:56 AM »
Well it has been a while since I have updated the progress on the Midget. Life got in the way and not much work was done for quite a few weeks. Got back to work and this what was accomplished first the motor is a JDM piece and had arrived with a cracked and dented oil pan, most likely from shipping. this was removed and repaired. These engines are supposed to only have 30-40k on them and I believe it, the inside of the motor looked new. The motor and transmission were put in place the mounts and brackets had been made earlier. This week I was off of work (vacation)  and the rear end was assembled and the suspension was painted and put place. Being curios, and a little anxious the tires were put on and the car lowered to the ground. Well we must have done something right it sets level. Iam a little concerned as there is only 2.5 inches groun clearance at the oil pan. The front sheet metal was set on. And it is starting to look like a race car.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »
Good to see this one back on track.  Pics when you can - still wondering what the front tin is going to look like.

Offline possum

• New folks
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 07:33:10 PM »
OOps forgot pcture. It looks like an MG