Author Topic: The worlds fastest Weslake.....well maybe!  (Read 111259 times)

Offline Briz

• Custom cycle developments
Re: The worlds fastest Weslake.....well maybe!
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2012, 04:54:39 PM »
Oz; yes, its the same as coolant temp on a watercooled lump. The microsquirt has inputs for engine temp and inlet air temp.

Doc; you're right about Volvos, our '91 740 now has 350K miles on it. And it aint quittin' yet.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2012, 12:00:26 AM »
Briz, I think you have a twin brother in England named Briz with a Diamler V-8 powered bike.  Really well done.  I saw an article about it Backstreet Choppers.

Offline Briz

« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2012, 06:54:31 PM »
Thanks WW. The feature was a good one. Pretty pleased with the bike so far, very rideable.
Did a vid when first registered:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_LZ8YpdmNg

Offline Briz

« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2012, 03:07:05 PM »
Time for an update. Got the pistons back from coating last week, and now finally got the top-end buttoned up.
If I have to do the damned cam timing one more time I'm gonna scream!
This engine is basically a good one, all the fundamentals are tough and capable of making plenty of power. But the way the top-end goes together is just nuts. One suspects the influence of recreational drugs!
After much faffing about with cams that were binding in their end-thrust washers and trying to prevent oil leaks (which I suspect may be a losing battle) its together.
BTW; WW, you were right to caution about patchy annealing of the head gaskets. Couldn't get the rear one to compress fully. Had to take it apart and anneal it again. OK now.
Intake & wiring next.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2012, 03:14:34 PM »
Weslake cam timing builds character!
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2012, 01:01:40 AM »
It is easier to see how the rear end is set up with the different colors on the swing arm and frame.  It look good.  It has the lowness of a rigid job and suspension like a taller bike.

Offline Briz

« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2012, 08:18:04 AM »
Of course, one of the neat things about race bikes is the simplicity of wiring them, right? No annoying lights, turn signals etc. :D
Yeah, right! 2 weeks in, I'm about done :roll:  My own fault for getting all fancy with fuel-injection.

I've had it cranking over so far but couldn't get oil pressure until I overfilled the tank. Dry old pump wouldn't suck enough! I dont have a gauge, but the way the starter slowed when the oil light went out indicates theres plenty pressure.

Heres the completed loom: After reading of Oz's VR signal woes, I went overboard screening not only the VR sensor wires, but also the coil & injector circuits. Shredded a couple of old printer & antenna leads to get the braided stuff.

Here it is installed: The 3 relays are: main system, fuel pump & starter.The loose coiled wire is the ECU bootlogger connection. Grounding this clears the ECU code. I wont be doing that!

Heres the wideband oxygen sensor module with MAP sensor & main circuit breaker.

VR sensors:

Injectors:

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2012, 04:44:09 PM »
Very cool build...........I don't like wire............so I'll stay out of your way!
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2012, 01:26:27 AM »
Thanks for showing this, Briz.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #99 on: March 19, 2012, 10:39:11 PM »
A gauge with a lambda wideband sensor is how I check my fuel/air mixture at Bonneville.  The setup quit working a couple of years ago.  I was running 110 octane leaded gas and I forgot to remove the sensor.  The lead killed it, I think.  The microsquirt depends on wideband sensors to get input.  Does this limit you to running unleaded, only?

Offline Briz

« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2012, 09:59:24 AM »
Yeah, pretty much. But if I need more octane, as long as I've dialled in a good fuel map I can run without the wideband O2 sensor.

Offline beerbellykelly

• #1980-A/F 1350-AIRCOOLED-TOO COOL FOR SKOOL
« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2012, 06:13:58 PM »
everyone,s in a spaghetti western!-it,s just before 10.30 at night here , i been spaghetti,ng all day too.all new to me,digital signals...
look forward to hearing this lusty vee twin bellow-see you saturday briz.
p.j.
GOD BLESS THE HUMMIN' CUMMINS
www.jamesandfriend.com

Offline Geo

« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2012, 11:34:18 PM »
Briz,

Hope you don't mind me placing this in your build because I could not remember which bike build by beerbellykelly, SUMO, Briz, Desperate may have had a start/run problem with the new wiring and your photo shows the shielded wire. I have been thrilled at the work by all of you and looking forward to tales of your runs.

I was reading the latest version of "Data Acquisition" and a point jumped out at me that I thought I should share.  On a shielded cable you only ground one end of the shield and that should be the one nearest the sensor. Otherwise ground loops and noise cause all sorts of problems. As can using two seperated (independant) batteries, having low voltage, not enough grounds.  Hope this is useful to someone.  Cheers to all.  :cheers:

Geo

Offline Briz

« Reply #103 on: April 22, 2012, 02:04:14 PM »
Thanks Geo
We've been having a hell of a time here trying to get this thing going. A solid month since the first attempt to start it up, and it finally started yesterday.
Not running well; the ignition is all over the place. Very rich, which would be easily dealt with but without a consistent ignition, its hopeless.
Young David, who is much smarter than me with EFI stuff has been very helpful here with the laptop, but he now agrees that a stand-alone ignition system would exorcise a lot of demons.
So I've set about altering the timing cover to take an HD pickup plate, and turned a special rotor up. Decided to shell out the dough for a TwinTec ignition box.
And if that isn't enough, its carburetor time......

Offline Jon

« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2012, 04:52:19 PM »
What ignition pickups & wheel are you using Briz?
Where is the chopper wheel driving from?

If the ECU isn't happy enough with the ignition pickup signals to get the spark timing right I would have thought that it would struggle to get the fuel close as well.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3