Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3171267 times)

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
Re: Here shake my hand
« Reply #315 on: October 29, 2007, 11:48:23 PM »
I look at that picture and keep seeing a Pink Floyd album cover
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Reverend Hedgash

Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #316 on: October 30, 2007, 04:16:35 AM »
To Sum, Harv, Jack, and all the other OS landracers,

Wish you were here.

rH+
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 04:21:15 AM by Reverend Hedgash »

Offline Reverend Hedgash

Photo
« Reply #317 on: October 30, 2007, 04:29:56 AM »
Actually I should tell the story about this shot. As staged as the original looks it actually wasn't. The good Lady Hedgash was videoing Dr Go in the car as he gave it a few test spurts of about 20m. He jumped out to suit up and that was when he shook my hand.

Amber had just shut down the camera and missed the hand shake and yelled at us to do it again. I yelled back that we don't re-enact scenes and the discussion went well on into the trip home.

It turns out that when the Colonel rocked up the next day he had taken this shot with his still camera. Wow, we thought, that's a keeper and legit too, it is the actual moment of shaking the hand at knowing it works after 4 years.

I like it so much I am going to turn it into a painting.

Rev H+

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #318 on: October 30, 2007, 06:28:49 AM »
NOTE TO AMBER :
Don't worry about missing the movie shot, I expect it will be often repeated. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #319 on: October 30, 2007, 10:13:00 AM »
To Sum, Harv, Jack, and all the other OS landracers,

Wish you were here.

rH+

I sure hope to be one of these days.  Can I be on the pit crew?? 

Sum

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #320 on: October 30, 2007, 06:35:00 PM »
Sum, you are already on the pit crew.

If you rock up down under, we will put you up in Melbourne and transport you to the lake.

rH+

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #321 on: October 30, 2007, 07:24:25 PM »
Sum, you are already on the pit crew.

If you rock up down under, we will put you up in Melbourne and transport you to the lake.

rH+

You'd better be careful, I got a passport picture taken the other day.  This year???????

Sum

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #322 on: October 30, 2007, 08:20:42 PM »
No, you'd had better be careful, it will be bushfire season and there will be plenty of slashing to be done...

rH+

Offline PJQ

• South end, Land of Oz
« Reply #323 on: October 30, 2007, 09:08:36 PM »
I may be talking out of turn, overstretching things a bit, but at Mangalore I reckon we had a touch of what it was like at early meets in So Cal. No records were set, the timer didn't work properly, only eight vehicles ran - but shit happened that will never be repeated.

Machinery is easy to understand; from the scratch-together tank on these pages to the priceless 1955 Johnny Penn Vincent Black Lightning LSR special. And the people, from club founders, to little kids plonked in the driver seat by eager dad, the mixing assuring a continuum of those that "get it".

Then there's the spirit. It really kicked-in when a bloke showed up with a partly finished Streamliner. Graham is clearly a "loner". No one knew him or the project. Friendly but quiet, he wouldn't ask for help, and doesn't care much for this Internet stuff. He and his wife drove through the night from Adelaide (10+ hours on the road). The trailer loaded with a car skeleton and parts.

Any time you passed his pits, there's someone tinkering alongside him. You check out the his work, discuss this or that, start helping  - it's obvious there's lots to do - pretty soon, you're sweatin' your arse off, getting this beast ready for the first ever run.

And did it run! Keep an eye out for this one.

Norm, the event organiser - despite his car toasting in a shed fire the day before - was happy as a pig in mud. "Mate, this is what it's supposed to be like" he said, watching Hadfield's jalopy and Moe Boys line up for impromptu drags.

The day ended with ear-to-ear grins on every dial: Moe Boys XA Falcon - Mad Max model - unleashed for ten minutes of high-rev burnouts (not on salt tyres).

Getting Graham's liner strapped to the home made trailer and sending them on their way, I was alone, soaking-in a golden sunset over the small planes and the tower, nestled among the foothills of Victoria's Highlands. "Get the camera" I thought. Nah, you can't photograph what I'm feeling.
Regards,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories

Offline Lynchy

« Reply #324 on: October 30, 2007, 09:49:42 PM »
Sum

Be careful if you come over! It will end up being a round Australia trip. There are members all the way around the outside of the country + quite a few in the middle. If you do get over here we will book you in for some accommodation in Brisbane + get you in at one of the DLRA (Qld chapter) BBQ / BS / Bench racing sessions. It would be nice to have a guest speaker!

PS - I'm sure more than one car could use an extra crew member. If you come over 6/12/18 months in advance you could do a bit of work on the Jag.

Lynchy

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #325 on: October 31, 2007, 01:05:21 AM »
Now that you have worked so hard to " Get It", you got it, and don't ever let it expire. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
In for a look
« Reply #326 on: October 31, 2007, 09:59:18 AM »
Ok enough of the love fest.....I took the water tank off this afternoon to have a look at a few things .The oil leak it turns out was partly the diff breather , partly the diff bung (oops, not very tight ) and some from the gearbox...The fuel fumes that I copped at the end of one of the runs seem to have been from the fuel tank breather which has no valve on it , I think it has "sloshed" as i backed off and being a fairly  fine tube that turns down rather quickly I think it has just blown some juice out to where it hit the tail-pipe...that'll have to be changed . The gear shift is going to get redesigned , the present shifter has morse cables and works in a cross pattern , as it turns out the side to side movement is too difficult to make and there isn't really enough room to do it properly....After checking out some of the photo's on Sum's site I think it is a toss up between two completely separate levers or a very narrow "H" . If I make two levers from shallow channel and a flat stick that will fit in the channel so it can tilt from side to side selecting one or the other I should be able to make it work.The brakes are a bit of an issue which will most likely be fixed by making the brake pedal longer , I allowed a lot of room for travel  which it doesn't need so it can be longer which will give a bit more stopping power. Apart from those issues I didn't find anything that was broken or looking like it was about to break , nothing burnt or rubbed , no cracks around the rear superstructure ( and it sure got some heavy thumps...airborne anyone????) so it was a dream run really and I'll be the first to admit it had as much to do with good luck as good management . The next six months will be spent getting the trailer built , compiling spares and doing a proper methodical tear-down and rebuild , checking everything , threads , clearances , fluid volumes , electrical connections , cooling system fittings getting the body fit neater and tighter .Having had such a neat first test we haven't got any excuses now .
Sum
Be careful if you come over! It will end up being a round Australia trip. There are members all the way around the outside of the country + quite a few in the middle. If you do get over here we will book you in for some accommodation in Brisbane + get you in at one of the DLRA (Qld chapter) BBQ / BS / Bench racing sessions. It would be nice to have a guest speaker!

PS - I'm sure more than one car could use an extra crew member. If you come over 6/12/18 months in advance you could do a bit of work on the Jag.
Lynchy

Now , Sum, people in Queensland are a bit like people from your Deep South ,you might never get to leave.... there's Staytie, Lynchy, Don Noble( hot Nissans and classical music! go figure :?) , Bob Ellis ( who's really a Kiwi) and more I've overlooked I'm sure but they're an "interesting " mob......As for working on Jag's I'd take the easy way out and devote your life to ending war for all time , it'd be much simpler. :wink:
Then there's the spirit. It really kicked-in when a bloke showed up with a partly finished Streamliner. Graham is clearly a "loner". No one knew him or the project. Friendly but quiet, he wouldn't ask for help, and doesn't care much for this Internet stuff. He and his wife drove through the night from Adelaide (10+ hours on the road). The trailer loaded with a car skeleton and parts.

keen to see how this guy goes , interestingly the Colonel said he was an insurance assessor.....not a trapeze artist or a bounty hunter , a fireman or a jet pilot not an engineer  or mechanic ..this man deals with crashed cars , and there's his wife with him while he climbs into a piece of scaffolding which he wants to pilot to 200 miles per hour ,a mixture of ingenuity , persistance and faith and a fascination with doing something different , his own way.

As you were men. :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
Re: In for a look
« Reply #327 on: October 31, 2007, 10:29:55 AM »
...................After checking out some of the photo's on Sum's site I think it is a toss up between two completely separate levers or a very narrow "H" ................

I found some more pictures and will e-mail them to you today.

Getting a chance to do the run the other day might of saved you a year at the lake.  It will be nice to know that you got these issues worked out and that there wasn't anything real major.

c ya,

Sum

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #328 on: October 31, 2007, 11:18:15 AM »
What type of movement are you wanting to duplicate at the tranny ?
We know how the human works, but how about the other end.
How about a picture of the transmission ?

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #329 on: October 31, 2007, 11:33:54 AM »
thanks to Sum for this pic, instead of what we have here I have extended the actual shift shaft and put the tag on the end of that...to move the point of connection out wide , which is what they seem to be trying to do here, I have supported the whole arrangement with a gantry, if not identical our box is very similar to this...( I'm , er , at work at the moment so I can't access my photo's)                                                                                                                           

extending the shaft rather than the lever means I can support it at the other end which they can't do here however my manufacturing tolerances probably mean we're on level pegging....the cables make our box work fine the issue is the amount of room in the cab , which is even worse when you put a person in there :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.