Author Topic: BYU electric liner test  (Read 8756 times)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
BYU electric liner test
« on: July 28, 2010, 03:07:16 AM »
I got an email from Tom Shannon letting me know that the BYU engineering team who'd brought a chassis to the salt in 2008 for pre-inspection was ready to make a few test runs on the front straight at Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele, Ut.  It'd already been a busy day with the Graham liner shoot, but I headed out there and ran into some of the usual suspects, Wester Potter, Tom, my friend Jim, Kent and Brent Singleton and a cast of thous....nevermind.  It's late and I'm gettin goofy from the long day.

The team had reserved the track for the hours 5 to 8 pm, but there was some nasty lookin weather heading in from the southwest.  Just like on the salt, that valley is just one big air channel.  And true to form it got dark, then it got darker and then it got wet. 

However, before all that nasty stuff happened, the team made a few adjustments to the car...the one I liked was the mill file on the underside of the bodywork so it would clear the "pavement" tire.  On the salt they'll use an aluminum wheel, but for the asphalt, they used a conventional rubber inflatable tire...which, under load didn't quite clear the body. 

While the they were working on that, Jim Burkdoll (the hired shoe) got into his firesuit and prepared to get the belts and other cockpit adjustments made.  Finally they were ready to go and it (as usually happens with electric vehicles) took us by surprise.  Jim ran halfway down the 3/4 mile main straight and then tossed out the laundry.  It all worked very well.  My friend Jim and I headed for the turn one end of the straight...but it got real dark and foreboding.  However, Jim got a full length run and although my photos are a study in blur, the results were good.  Other than the wheel clearance issue, there were no problems that were apparent to those of us observing.

Jim stated that he was surprised by the acceleration and the car handled well with no apparent balance issues.  All factors considered, I'd say they did pretty well.  Jim and I split just as the incoming thunderstorm started to let loose. The team had already stated that they didn't think it'd be a good idea to get a lotta water into the battery boxes where there's some serious current capability.  So when the we got more that 6 inches of desert rain (the drops were closer than 6" apart) we decided it was time to split. 

I'm not really happy with the photos I got, particularly the speed shots at the end.  Maybe Wester has some better.  Mine would make great abstracts to hang in the Museum of Modern Art as a study in carbon fiber blur.

But I'll include a couple in this post or the next (depending on when I fall asleep at the keyboard) and you can decide for yourselves.

I'd like to publicly thank Tom Shannon for keepin me in the loop on this.  Good friends like Tom are worth their weight in gold.  So.  I dunno if they have another test scheduled...s team member told me that they'd only been able to get it to about 40 mph in the campus parking lot.  I think the track is a lot safer.

Ok.  Here are the photos:

1.  The team Banner
2.  Last minute check with Burkdoll in the saddle
3.  And then he just took off.  I dunno about these quiet cars.  Hard to use the ears to keep track of what's goin on.
4.  The liner was already gettin with it pretty good just in the first 10 or 20 feet. 

More in the next post.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
Re: BYU electric liner test
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 03:18:51 AM »
Next set:

1. The first half-track run under way...without canopy.
2.  At half-track just before he tossed out the laundry.
3.  A pretty smiley Jim Burkdoll talkin to Wes Potter.  You'd think Jim kinda enjoyed that ride.
4.  A study in blur.  Real dark clouds, small aperture tryin to get decent depth of field and...well, I blew it.  But that's sorta what it looked like as it came by at a silent 50 or 60 mph.

Ok.  All the fun I can stand for one day.  I'm gonna play the bass for a bit and crash.

Offline hechtrod

• MyRideisMe.com
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 12:23:20 PM »
Man I wish they had this project rolling when I was a student there.  This was a twinkle in the professors eye back then (2003 or so).  I did get to help build the Electric Blue spec electric "formula" car and strip down the EV-1 electric fwd drag car.  But, I didn't have Salt Fever back then either.  Thanks for these pics Ray!  See you on the Salt!  16 days!

Offline iguana

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 12:31:55 PM »
Very cool stuff. Were they simply making sure the thing would roll in a straight line, or gathering data on performance?

("Study in blur" is now my desktop background, thank you!)
2004 Subaru WRX
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2015 I/FL ? ? ? ?

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 05:04:23 PM »
@Hecht: glad ya liked the coverage.  If that's yer rat in the sig, I may pester ya for a ride while I got my camera with (which is pretty much all the time)...and maybe even shoot some video in it (nice thing about the Canon 7D is that it can shoot stills...very nicely...and video.)  Look for Camp Rat on Jackrabbit Flats or the red Burb with the white "PhotoRat" on it.  I may also be on a platform of scaffolding mounted on a trailer with a Model A pickup box and a beam axle.  Gonna be interesting.

@Iguana: shoot me an email at raytherat@gmail.com with yer screen dimensions and I'll send ya a full-sized wallpaper image.

Offline Constant Kinetics

• I'm not Crazy, I'm Invincible!
    • Constant Kinetics
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 05:55:19 PM »
Electric vehicles will suprise you because electric motors make more power at primary energizing and while under load. If you have one rated at 25hp, it may make 60 when it first gets hit with currentand 35 while working hard, 25 is just it's cruising figure.
                                                                                            -Chad-
Wierd is good

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 06:26:44 PM »
Great shots Ray! Blur is good - just call it LSR art!
BTW: These guys did a great CFD paper on this liner and I have been looking forward to seeing them on the salt scene!
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 08:09:07 PM »
chad that's a very interesting comment.... i thought that 1 HP is 1HP!...... isnt HP just a standard for rating?.... ya know like 1 inch or 1 foot.....
kent
www.eracebike.com

Offline Freud

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 08:46:40 PM »
Lotta feel in that shot, Ray.

No apology necessary for that image.

It feels good.............

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 09:17:19 PM »
Kent,
Electric motors are not like IC engines, their hp rating is based upon the maximum amount of power they can make with in a certain temperature rise. It is not uncommone to run electric motors at 2x their rated power you just need to keep them cool. If you pour enough amperage to them they will make amazing power for a short time. It is not uncommon for electric motors to have cooling added which can then increase their horse power rating by 2-3 times for continous out put.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
Didn't go to his web site huh Rex?
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Constant Kinetics

• I'm not Crazy, I'm Invincible!
    • Constant Kinetics
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 09:34:11 PM »
Kent
     Electric motors are rated by the amount of power they put out on a continual basis with no load. However, when they start up, the sudden energizing of the motor causes a sudden jolt that is usually between 2-4 times the nominal rating. They also have a tendency to pull more amps under a harder load because the motor having to work is resisting the electrical current. The result of pulling more amps is producing more power. I'll provide some information from an ultra-scientific source: the Northern Tool and Industrial catalog. 1hp electric=1 1/2hp hydraulic. 1hp hydraulic=1 2/3 gasoline. Of course thse are rounded numbers based on averages, but using that, one could estimate the performance of an electric motor to do the same amount of work as a gas powered model rated at 2 1/2X the horsepower. {1E=1.5H, 1H=1.67G where E is electric, H is hydraulic, and G is gasoline. 1E=1.5(1.67G) leads us to 1E=2.5G as a rule of thumb.
                                                                                  -Chad-
Wierd is good

Offline dw230

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 10:27:49 PM »
I'm glad you guys know who you are talking to:

Kent Riches
500CC
A-PBF   R Nelson MDR Airtech   Honda      08/09   133.884
A-PBG   R Nelson MDR Airtech   Honda      08/06   119.382
APS-PBF   R Nelson MDR Air Tech   Honda      10/07   131.711
APS-PBG   R Nelson MDR Air Tech   Honda      08/07   147.621
M-PBG      R. Nelson MDR Airtech       Honda           10/02   127.307
MPS-PBF    R. Nelson MDR Airtech       Honda            08/03   132.393

750CC
SC-G       Riches Nelson      Suzuki      08/07   147.155

1000CC
S-G        Riches Airtech MDR              OSXR             08/03   179.523

OMEGA
APS-Omega   
Riches Nelson      Electric      08/09   176.434

El Mirage Dry Lake
750cc
SC-F   Riches Nelson      K. Riches      06/10   153.959
SC-G       Riches Nelson      K. Riches      06/07   151.011

Omega
APS-Omega
Riches Nelson       K. Riches      06/09   149.117

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 11:47:29 PM »
 :-D
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline hechtrod

• MyRideisMe.com
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 12:10:00 AM »
Hey Ray, I wish that was my rig.  I'll be in a World Rally Blue 2002 Subaru WRX with stickers on the window.  That '27 T I'm riding in is Craig Pike (Pikesan) from MyRideisMe.com's car.  Talk to him when you see him on the salt and if he's not running around crazy (he might be driving the Volk Bros '29 Roadster if the stars align for him.  :)
Chris