Author Topic: "City of Salt lake" Liner Rebuild  (Read 34262 times)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
Re: "City of Salt lake" Liner Rebuild
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2010, 07:02:44 PM »
Well, it's painted and the skins are on the car.  (See attached photo)
http://www.chevyasylum.com/lsr/bsf2010/20100720/Welcome.html

Butch finished the painting and let it set up over the weekend.  Today Richard Thomas and an old friend of Butch's (I'm really sorry, but I can't remember his name.  I can hardly remember mine) put the skins on the body and the Dzus fasteners in place and lemme tell ya, it's lookin great! 

Butch has done a heroic job of uncrumpling the aluminum body parts, straightening 'em out and returning the liner to its original state (minus the motor for the moment.)  He had one heck of a deadline and has absolutely busted his butt to get it together by the July 31 deadline.  It might even make a Pioneer Day (July 24th, Utah's version of the 4th of July) event.  I don't know what the schedule is, but it's at a point where it could, if necessary, be put on a trailer and taken to a show.

My personal opinion (the original idea was mentioned to me by Lynn Goodfellow) is that getting the City of Salt Lake, the Mormon Meteor and the Mormon Missile liner (Lynn's race car) together for the Utah Concours 'Elegance would be a really kool deal.  The only problem is that the Concours is on the first day of the BUB meet.  So many overlaps this year.  I'm gonna have to clone myself so I can get into twice as much trouble.

Anyway, the photos are on the server, now I gotta go put out some more fires.

Offline Billy @ AHG

« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2010, 09:02:03 PM »
Plans are to take the car out to the salt on Thursday 8/12   and put it on display in the pit area, we will be sharing a pit location with the Black Creek Racing team. If possible it will be right up front on one of the rows, so as soon as you enter the pits it will be "in yer face!"    I think it it's going to be an exceptional year ! :cheers:
Salt Junkie

Offline Crosley

« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2010, 09:51:44 PM »
tell Butch ;  excellent job.   :-D
Tony in AZ...

"If you find yourself in a ditch.... let up on the throttle"

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2010, 10:41:10 PM »
I already told him exactly that.  He HAS done an excellent job and I made sure that somebody told him so.  But I'll tell him again next time I see him.

Offline Freud

« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2010, 11:56:25 PM »
Ray, it was built for a smaller man. Don't ask to drive it.

daddy FREUD
Since '63

Offline Crosley

« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2010, 10:14:27 PM »
Ray, it was built for a smaller man. Don't ask to drive it.

daddy FREUD

LOL .....  :-D
Tony in AZ...

"If you find yourself in a ditch.... let up on the throttle"

Offline Billy @ AHG

« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2010, 09:04:17 PM »
My personal opinion (the original idea was mentioned to me by Lynn Goodfellow) is that getting the City of Salt Lake, the Mormon Meteor and the Mormon Missile liner (Lynn's race car) together for the Utah Concours 'Elegance would be a really kool deal.  (Ray's Quote) 

Is Lynn going to do the Concours show ?? It might be a good idea and would make a cool display, Not sure if John Price would bring out the Meteor, might be worth looking into !

With those three cars, the Concours could actually be considered a real show, like it was , in the University days !   (just sayin' !!)
  I know when I saw Lynn setting up the Missile at the Auto rama this spring I told him having the car here was worth the price of addmission alone !
Salt Junkie

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2010, 01:11:11 AM »
I really don't know if Lynn will do the Concours. He wanted to do a show in the LA area and have everybody come to SoCal for it....I don't think JP nor Butch would go for that.

The Concours is on 8/28...same day as the first day of BUB.  Yanno, there just aren't enough weekends!  I think we otta go for a 4 day week with a 2 day weekend.  That'd add a coupla weekends to the year...like about 8 more of 'em.  Yeah, I know....but Galileo was excommunicated for postulating that the earth wasn't the center of the heavens.   I spose I could just try it on my own, but since I normally work 7 16 hour days every week, I'm not sure I'd know the difference.

So, Doc...since I'm a scrawny rat ya don't think I'd be a prime candidate for the driver?  Hell, with all the success it had in the past, I don't see how I could do much worse.  :)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2010, 05:58:59 PM »
The graphics were placed on the car today.  A fella named Adam Vries made up the vinyl STP and "City of Salt Lake" and "Firestone" representations of the original sponsor decals.  I'd never seen this done and it was really interesting to see how they went about it.  "Billy" showed up to help and I got to point the camera. 

I've gotta go shoot a test run of the BYU (?!?) electric streamliner at Miller's, so I don't quite have all the stuff on my web server yet...but I'll get it this evening (if I can stay awake.)

I'm gonna attach a coupla fotos and split.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2010, 02:09:11 AM »
The photos of the Graham liner and its graphics are finally on the server.  I got a little distracted by a test of an electric streamliner at Miller Motorsports Park.  That was pretty interesting.  More on it later.  Here's the url for the new photos and writeup.
http://www.chevyasylum.com/lsr/bsf2010/20100727/Welcome.html

I think Butch Graham and Richard Thomas deserve a round of applause for all the effort they've both put into the project.  I know Butch has really spent an unbelievable amount of time and labor to re-create the liner that resulted  in his father's death.  It's hard to imagine how someone could take on a job like that.  But he's done a wonderful job and has always had a smile and an infectious laugh that's made it a pleasure for me to be involved with this project. 

Richard has donated time, parts, supplies and who knows what else.  He's gone way beyond the call of duty to help out with this project.   :cheers:  Well done, guys.

I'm fallin asleep and I've got a lot to do tomorrow.  I'm outta here.

Offline Billy @ AHG

« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2010, 02:10:11 PM »
I had to laugh at page six photo #12, the look of terror on Butch's face ! No. it was'nt even close besides I had the parking brake in my hand, and Ray was willing to throw himself under the wheels if necessary !
Salt Junkie

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2010, 10:21:47 PM »
Yep.  I seem to attract outta control race cars and I had one heading right for me.  But I think Butch lost a couple more hairs on the head at that moment.

Coupla things: I hear ya found a trailer.  I found one, too.  So whatever works out, we're set up.

Next, I'm sending this from my laptop tethered thru my Android phone.  I got my fingers crossed.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2010, 10:22:06 PM »
Holy smokes, it worked!

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2010, 09:45:45 PM »
For those in the Northern Utah area (or anywhere else, for that matter) the restored City of Salt Lake liner will debut at the west side (I think) of TOSH (The Orthopedic Specialty Hospital) 5848 S Fashion Blvd, SLC (or Murray or whatever.)  The public showing will be from 10 am to 12:30 pm.

And this post is a test of the backup connection, an AT&T cellular modem.  I think we got belt and suspenders for SW.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2010, 09:46:35 PM »
Well, well, well.  We're set.