Author Topic: Motor Scooters, Drag racing & LSR's  (Read 21274 times)

kliff

Motor Scooters, Drag racing & LSR's
« on: January 29, 2010, 08:07:00 AM »
As Motor scooter become more and more prolific, primarily with the Chinese imports, it was a matter of time before us Americans started hot rodding and racing. The NASRA( North American Scooter Racing association) has been formed, and is planning it's first event May 1, '10.
http://nasra.proboards.com/index.cgi

« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 07:05:24 PM by kliff »

Offline dw230

Re: Motor Scooters, Drag racing & LSR's
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 12:01:15 PM »
"1/8th mile drags can get kinda long and drawn out"

If the 1/8th is too boring because of distance maybe LSR isn't for you. The shortest distance available to get a time slip is 1 mile.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

kliff

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 02:49:51 PM »
"1/8th mile drags can get kinda long and drawn out"

If the 1/8th is too boring because of distance maybe LSR isn't for you. The shortest distance available to get a time slip is 1 mile.

DW

Though you couldn't be more mistaken, I don't think this is the place for me.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 07:07:08 PM by kliff »

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 02:57:59 PM »
Careful Kliff, don't start jumping to wrong conclusions or at people for that matter, until you know who they are!  Take a deep breath, slowly let it out, there, doesn't that feel better?  Now apologize to the nice man... dw230 is a very honorable man and we won't let you badmouth him!

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Bville701

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 03:15:38 PM »
I'm with Lynda on this one. DW is a very nice person and full of information. I think that both of you mis-understood each others post. I fully read your post and can see where it can be mis-leading. I think that DW was trying to help you before you got too far along with your project. Dw is a good person and has LOTS of friends on here. Please, lets all play nice. Good luck with your project.  :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

ScottG

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 03:51:55 PM »
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 07:21:33 PM by ScottG »

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 04:32:23 PM »
I gotta say Iam with Linda on that reply also.  I have met all sorts of great people here at Landracing.com as well as at Bonneville and Maxton, and everyone has been positive and always willing to help with honest suggestions.  Iam sure DW was just trying to give some good advice and not trying to be a smarty pants. Lets be nice now. . .
For Scotts question - I believe a Scooter is a stand in, not a sit down, motorcycle you sit on. Time to get rule books gentlemen. Some venues I believe have restrictions on Scooter tire sizes also. Iam a motorcycle guy and I try to read and re-read the new books every year to try and keep up with any changes.
Personally - I would get the rule books, and study them, before even starting a build project. Just my humble opinion though.   :-D
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 04:55:32 PM »
sounds like Kliff knows everything already so  why bother giving him any advice.  With his attitude I am sure he knows more than all of us put togther.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 05:00:14 PM »
This question should be directed to the www.scta-bni.org  web page and submitted to the rules committee. They are the official word for the running on the salt flats.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

ScottG

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 05:27:59 PM »
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 07:22:10 PM by ScottG »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 06:13:53 PM »
How about - -

A scooter is step-through -- a motorcycle with the high center (tank, frame, etc) is step-over.

Would that be a workable definition?  There well may others - but I betcha I'm on the right track.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

kliff

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 07:03:41 PM »
Careful Kliff, don't start jumping to wrong conclusions or at people for that matter, until you know who they are!  Take a deep breath, slowly let it out, there, doesn't that feel better?  Now apologize to the nice man... dw230 is a very honorable man and we won't let you badmouth him!

Lynda

Well most certainly.....excuse me dw230. Y'all have fun, figuring out a scoot, even the NASRA hasn't got a firm handle on that yet.
See ya later gator.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 07:29:04 PM »
now for the bad news---you will have to run at least 2 miles at bonneville --2 times (scta event) to get a record---you will also have to have a 15 inch rim front and rear minimum --unless you have a sidecar or a streamliner---what everyone should do before they start the build is to get a rule book and read it at least 10 times --ask questions then start the build---then if you are lucky you will make it through tech----just some thoughts-------------willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline desotoman

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 08:02:03 PM »
Well I guess this is one build we will never see. Looks like Kliff signed off and is now a Guest.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 08:27:46 PM »
I think you guys just blew off Kliff Klaven
( Cheers, remember ? )
Bob, I knew that, W