Author Topic: Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome  (Read 44228 times)

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #150 on: September 10, 2010, 02:05:32 AM »
All I get is sound??

J

Offline TouringComet

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered streamliner
« Reply #151 on: September 10, 2010, 05:24:48 AM »
Sorry about that, someone else reported the same problem.  The encoding is straight from my Nikon D5000, I expected they would use a format that would be more universally accepted.  Just googled, and the format is motion-jpeg.  Try saving the file and playing it in QuickTime.  According to Wikipedia, Firefox is supposed to be able to play motion-jpeg, too.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 05:38:34 AM by TouringComet »

Offline Tzoom

• All revved up with no place to go - Meatloaf 1977
« Reply #152 on: September 10, 2010, 09:02:32 AM »
I'm using Firefox and it worked fine for me. 
Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games --- Ernest Hemingway

Offline tedgram

« Reply #153 on: September 10, 2010, 05:34:31 PM »
 Firefox and it worked fine.

Offline Luckyontheducky

« Reply #154 on: December 16, 2010, 03:36:39 PM »
Hey Max! 

Interested to know how all of that anchor chain handled the speed and heat.  Have you torn into it yet?

2011???
Todd

Offline debgeo

« Reply #155 on: December 16, 2010, 06:27:46 PM »
Max I agree update please :-)
George---Sidecar in progress

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #156 on: December 17, 2010, 12:47:58 AM »
Stainless should be able to get us an update. He has nothing else to do since he doesn't have to cut grass on the farm now. :evil: Get with it man. :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #157 on: December 17, 2010, 08:49:53 AM »
Max has not started on the bike for next year yet.  He has been taking care of some medical issues he delayed till after racing season. 
We have been discussing his plans... making the rear solid, go through the motors, replace transmission bearings, remove some of the water systems and try to make the between run service and morning prerun service more user friendly. 

That is a lot to do.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline WEAL

• New folks
« Reply #158 on: December 17, 2010, 07:35:17 PM »
I would not go rigid with the rear end - might be a rough ride at 300 and promote wheelspin as well. Better reduce the wheel travel a bit by inserting rubber bumps into the shocks.

Cheers  Hartmut

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #159 on: December 17, 2010, 08:04:29 PM »
Hartmut, actually the suspension pretty much stops working at about 150, you are traveling about 220 fps, how fast acting do you think the suspension is... say you run over a low spot that is 2 feet across....
Now without a doubt the first mile will be a little rougher.  The rigid rear is not set in stone  :roll: just one of Max's thoughts to make things a little easier.
Now going 300 will be your task...  :-D
Stainless

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #160 on: December 18, 2010, 03:02:06 AM »
Hartmut, actually the suspension pretty much stops working at about 150, you are traveling about 220 fps, how fast acting do you think the suspension is... say you run over a low spot that is 2 feet across....
Now without a doubt the first mile will be a little rougher.  The rigid rear is not set in stone  :roll: just one of Max's thoughts to make things a little easier.
Now going 300 will be your task...  :-D

I will start here by listing my engineering qualifications  followed by my extensive experience in designing suspension systems.

Ok, now we've got that out of the way I will relate why we chose to go with a "hard" rear end on our lakester.

1./ I saw that many succesful cars lacked suspension.
2./ I saw that many teams reduced the travel of their suspension and stiffened it progressivly as they tried to control stability.
3./ I failed to find anyone with convincing evidence that there were suspension systems capable of tracking a surface at 200+mph .
4./ Throughout the build of our car I clung to my own dictum that "no science is better than bad science" , the only thing I ever heard about suspension was "some is better than none"......Personally I think the advantage of the simplicity, the clean aero and the safety aspects when a car is sliding are very great benefits indeed.

In the first year we ran our car, it was incredibly smooth, and sat on the track so well it was boring. It turns out the trouble I had this year with vision and handling are most likely down to a severe balance problem we had which ultimately destroyed the motor.

I am happy with what we built and dont regret not using any suspension. If I could condense the argument , and my opinion, it is based on my suspicion that I don't believe anything could have a response rate , spring rate and a sensitivity to keep the wheels on the track any better than nothing other than the tyres and the damping provided by the mass of the body.

Other's results may vary..............
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #161 on: December 18, 2010, 06:09:57 AM »
x2 doc, :-)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #162 on: April 23, 2011, 11:39:27 AM »
OK folks, Max is giving it another go.   The faithful can start watching here, I'm going to lock this one
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,9113.new.html#new
Stainless