Author Topic: World Finals 2009 -- THE THREAD!  (Read 124392 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
World Finals 2009 -- THE THREAD!
« on: October 06, 2009, 07:28:23 PM »
How about if we all use this one thread for the event itself, okay?  We've had the "What cars are going" thread and the "weather" thread -- now let's have one that we use for updates and photos and comments and stuff like that.  I'll make it a sticky topic so it shows up at the top of the list so everyone can find it easily.

To begin, then -- tomorrow morning at 7 the gates officially open to allow racers to enter and set up the pits.  Inspection will start as soon as we can get it going -- by ten for sure, maybe by nine, maybe even earlier if there are enough inspectors and enough vehicles to look at that early.  There'll be no racing tomorrow (Wednesday) -- but Thursday morning there'll be the drivers meeting followed by racing as soon as we can get things going.  It gets dark earlier now than it did at WoS and much earlier than SpeedWeek -- so expect things to wind down by 6.30 in the evening, maybe not even that late.  And return runs will not be at 7AM -- not unless you've got really good headlights on your race vehicle.

Racing will go through Sunday, unless there are so few vehicles left running that it is decided to quit early -- and that'll happen only after everyone has had the opportunity to make his needs to keep running known.

Oh -- there'll be a food vendor on the Salt, but -- Red Flame will be there starting Wednesday (tomorrow) noon or so, through Friday afternoon -- only.  They've got a weekend commitment that precludes them from staying later than Friday.  But SCTA/BNI has attempted to get someone else to be there to cook and sell food for Saturday and Sunday, so there'll be food available all during this meet.

That's enough for now.  Quite a few vehicles are already in town for the event -- so we hope to see you on the Salt.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
Re: World Finals 2009 -- THE THREAD!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 07:51:46 PM »
Lookin good.  I'll start off with a shot of the street roadster (#459 Gerber Special) that was being pre-teched...an artsy-fartsy shot of the grill, hood and windscreen.

Then our Lovely Lynda (who's not a meter maid, but gives great hugs.  :-D ) as she awaits the next customer.

I'd brought her a bottle of pickles that Milwaukee Midget had given to Pork Pie...but he couldn't take 'em on the plane.  So Lynda got 'em...or so I thought.  As I went back to my Burb to get a print I'd forgotten, a pickle thief snatched 'em clean away.  A brief search revealed that "daughter #2" was the culprit.

Finally, the view of the salt with Lynda discussing matters with someone (I have to plead insanity for not recognizing him) and Dennis the night security dude walking with his dog, holding the envelopes of prints I'd brought to him.

Just one more photo in the next post (while I enjoy my pizza and cream soda.)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 08:34:10 PM »
Very good pizza.

A coupla shots of the High Desert Racers PS bike and tow vehicle as they waited at Land's End.  That's it for tonite.  I'll be on the salt as soon as they opens the gates.

Offline mrweld

• New folks
  • Hot Rods and Bonneville Bikes - Beauty & Speed
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 05:32:48 AM »
The little orange Buell (#1472) is leaving Olympia this morning at 3 AM.  We'll be there late tonight.  Can't wait for my salt fix. 8-)
MR WELD HOT RODS & BIKES
Bob Biehler
5248 Johnson Point RD NE
Olympia WA 98516

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 07:31:36 AM »
This is yer wake up call for World Finals.  Pork and I will have breakfast in a bit, then head for the salt.  Photos of inspection and registration (and pickle thievery) will follow.

It's 37F this morning, so it might be a while before I get the blood warmed up...but eventually it'll get flowing. 

So far this is the "license plate of the meet."  It's on the push car (70-ish Caprice wagon) for the 459 Street Roadster.)

More later...

Offline coloradodave

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 07:47:56 AM »
Hey mrweld from Olympia, don't forget your sunglasses and good luck on that record, Let us know how hard we need to work this winter.
Dave Jr. :cheers:
No regrets

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 10:18:04 AM »
The inspection day has started.  Salt looks good, not a cloud in the sky...a bit chilly.  Pork Pie just came by and asked me to request some warmer weather...or maybe a coupla torpedo heaters.  He forgot his gloves.

Photos: the row of cones leading to the Land's End checkpoint.  It was a wee bit dark at 7 am.

Yesterday's pickle bandit trying to keep warm.

Setting up as the sun rises.

Staying warm in the inspection line.

I'm gonna go freeze my butt off and get some more shots. 

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 10:29:20 AM »
Wow, nice push vehicle....  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Texican

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 11:32:39 AM »
Pork Pie just came by and asked me to request some warmer weather...or maybe a coupla torpedo heaters.  He forgot his gloves.

I'm still gathering stuff up; I'll pitch a couple extra pair ski gloves in; he won;t swim around too much in them.

Jim

fixed quotation box
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 11:47:20 AM by DahMurf »

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 11:42:29 AM »
  Pork Pie just came by and asked me to request some warmer weather...or maybe a coupla torpedo heaters.  He forgot his gloves.

I'm still gathering stuff up; I'll pitch a couple extra pair ski gloves in; he won't swim around too much in them.

Jim

Not to worry.  He found a pair.  All is well...and I just shed 2 layers of clothing...it's warming up quick...it's already a scorching 40F.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 11:45:54 AM by RayTheRat »

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 12:22:59 PM »
Since it's inspection day and there isn't a lotta racing goin on, I'll just be posing as I run across "stuff."

First, I talked with SSS and he tells me that the salt is as smooth as a baby's butt.  He watched the drag going down the course without even kicking up any spray or dust.  And there's (at the moment) very minimal wind.  The first photo is of SSS installing a carousel or egg beater...or maybe it's an anemometer...it looks kinda trick, whatever it is.  So with the optimal conditions, we gotta keep our fingers crossed for Nancy.

The Jaz sidewinder twin-engine streamliner is here.  Pork and I had breakfast with the "Don-don-don-don" crew.  Too many Dons.  I heard their tale of eating 17 Ford toploader transmissions before finally settling on a multi-plate clutch and an in-out box setup.  I wish 'em luck.

One of the Pepperoni Brothers has the goodies in hand to bribe the inspectors...or so he said. He told an interesting story of his sponsor hittin people up for the funds so he could make the trip to this meet.  It seems they did a bit of scrambling to put things together at the last minute.  Sounds like a familiar tale.

And the Saltosaurus FWD lakester is lookin as wacked out as ever.  It's foaming at the mouth now.

More as it happens.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 12:56:07 PM »
Geez, I can't let Ray have all the fun.  Just 'cause we bribed him with a few meal tickets -- he thinks he's gotta do some work.

Nancy and I strolled through inspection.  Here's what we saw:

And finally, this guy kinows how to make his ballast look REAL -- nothing slick here!

As I was posting these a slick APS-BF 650 trailered past and Nancy took a photo.  I'll put it up here next issue.  You gotta see this -- looks like it came off a movie set.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 02:00:47 PM »
Does anyone know if the Danny Thompson Mustang has made it to the salt?

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 02:20:32 PM »
Any info on the 9428 V4F/GR??

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 02:50:09 PM »
I haven't been playin hooky...just wandering around, talkin to people and sneakin up on SSS.

Caption the second one, "why did they put these stupid things on my feet?"

Clay Smith would probably approve of this graphic adaptation.

Would you believe there's a flathead under there?