Author Topic: 200 MPH Club  (Read 23849 times)

Offline desotoman

200 MPH Club
« on: September 23, 2009, 07:03:53 PM »
What sanctioning bodies does the 200 MPH Club recognize besides USFRA, and SCTA? From their website below it does not say the SCTA and USFRA are the only recognized organizations, only that they are included.

Tom G.

1) Fill out an official entry form from a sanctioning body recognized by the Bonneville 200 MPH Club.  These sanctioning bodies include the Southern California Timing Association (S.C.T.A.) www.scta-bni.org or The Utah Salt Flats Racing Association (U.S.F.R.A.) www.saltflats.com

2) Prepare your vehicle to meet all rules and technical requirements of that sanctioning body.

3) Break an existing record or established minimum over 200 mph at the Bonneville Salt Flats and you will have qualified for membership in the exclusive Bonneville 200 MPH Club, joining some of the most distinguished names in auto racing.

4) Where there is a record and a minimum in the same class,the higher speed prevails
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: 200 MPH Club
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 07:12:52 PM »
Part of the discussion,I believe, was that the snowmobile isn't a wheeled vehicle.  So I moseyed over to their pit.  The sled has 18 wheels supporting the drive track -- which therefore might or might not be considered wheels under the phrase "wheeled vehicle".  But it's got four wheels in front -- two on each side -- that do come in contact with the surface.  Call is a four wheel vehicle with track drive, or call it a 22-wheeler.

For further discussion -- just fun stirring the pot -- didn't the Thrust SSC get Andy Green an honorary hat?  And don't I remember that vehicle had two wheels and some skids for support?  Would that therefore disallow him his membership?

Tom -- Your comment says that "these sanctioning bodies include..."  but does the rule say the SCTA and USFRA are the ONLY sanctioning bodies -- or just what it says -- which means they are recognized but others might be, too.  I see you've made the same point -- maybe if both of us do it somebody will notice.

Okay -- thanks for taking this discussion over here.  Back to the Shootout for me, where there's nothing going on right now.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 07:17:27 PM »
Selections from the membership list:

Stirling            Moss           1957               245.640
Craig               Breedlove   1963               600.601
Art                  Arfon           1965               536.710

http://bonneville200mph.org/images/bonneville%20200%20mph%20club%20roster%20year.pdf

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 07:19:22 PM »
Slim --

It probably has a fly-wheel, too.  But I think they're more concerned with drive-wheels.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 07:23:47 PM »
too much hairsplitting already going on in the 2-club.

give the rider/driver a hat, take his picture and welcome him!
gregory w. gillette
aka: monty wolf (not monte wolfe)

"fear is never boring!"

read all about it: http://montywolf.blogspot.com/

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 07:25:14 PM »
Bonneville 200 Club - as it said - records set at Bonneville with a speed faster than 200 mph (if there is not a written limit).

The Thrust SSC had 4 wheels, two in the front  and two in the rear, which was in line (a little bit offset).
Andy Green got a honorary membership for this record, so as Richard Noble with the Thrust II.

Jet or rocket powered cars like Craig Breedlove, Tom Green, Art Arfons and Gary Gabelich went into the 200 Club - they run at Bonneville.....ooops...I forgot Nathan Ostich......

Andy Green got his official hat when he runs the JCB diesel streamliner.

I'm more interest in which class or catagorie the saltmobil will be certified..... :roll:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 07:34:08 PM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 07:27:20 PM »
I went over and shook the hand of Francis Morin -- wearing his new hat.

The sled has an 8" wide drive belt.  It's a stock belt with the outer edges trimmed -- the stock unit has holes on either side to allow snow to get in to lubricate the runners on which the stock sled rides.  

The engine is a stock Yamaha snowmobile engine, with stock gears and clutch and other parts.  Well, stock bore and stroke and no internal mods, that is, other than running alcohol.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 07:35:28 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 07:37:48 PM »

The sled has an 8" wide drive belt.  It's a stock belt with the oter edges trimmed -- the stock unit has holes on either side to allow snow to get in to lubricate the runners on which the stock sled rides.  

The engine is a stock Yamaha snowmobile engine, with stock gears and clutch and other parts.  

The engine has aftermarket pistons, rods, valve springs and clutch springs or a lock up clutch..

Oh yeah, a turbo and intercooler as well I believe..not stock as I recall... :wink:

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 07:41:08 PM »
The reason for 2 club minimums is to keep someone from running over 200, but not competitively.

If your vehicle meets a certain criteria, it should go as fast as the vehicles that have set records that are close to that criteria.

2008 1000cc records and minimums from the Bonneville 200 club:
CLASS RECORD HOLDER MOTORCYCLE SPEED DATE
A-BF Les Ranger Honda 208.146 1988
A-BG MINIMUM 210
A-F MINIMUM 205
A-PBF MINIMUM 210
A-PBG MINIMUM 205
A-VBF MINIMUM 205
APS-BF MINIMUM 240
APS-BG MINIMUM 230
APS-F Jason McVicar Yamaha 215.592 2004
APS-PBF Jon Minonno Triumph 213.245 1996
APS-PBG MINIMUM 210
APS-PF MINIMUM 210
APS-VBF MINIMUM 210
M-BF
M-BG Dean Sabatinelli 208.310 2008
M-PBF MINIMUM 205
M-VBF MINIMUM 205
MPS-BF MINIMUM 230
MPS-BG Joe Amo Kawasaki 240.913 2004
MPS-F Joe Amo Kawasaki 223.353 2001
MPS-G Stainless Steele Racing Suzuki 208.959 2008
MPS-PBF MINIMUM 215
MPS-PBG MINIMUM 205
MPS-PF MINIMUM 205
MPS-VBF MINIMUM 210
MPS-VBG MINIMUM 205
MPS-VF MINIMUM 205
S-BF MINIMUM 255
S-BG MINIMUM 240
S-F MINIMUM 245
S-G MINIMUM 240
S-PBF

So you could run a streamliner on gas and set a record at 200 mph. Yes, you get a record, but no red hat because it isn't competitive compared to what you could run. (If you think 240 as a minimum for a 1000cc streamliner is too high, please reference Joe Amo's ridiculous, amazing, WOW 272)

So to give Thrust SSC a hat is not debatable. It may not fit any category you want to wrap your head around, but is truly the fastest wheeled vehicle.

There are a select few, and should remain a select few that fit that category.

Just because a snowmobile went over 200, and may well be the world's fastest in that category it isn't competitive with a comparable motorcycle. It's also the one and only to try. So huzzah for running fast and being the first to do it, but it would make the red hat less valuable to give them one.

While I was typing this was posted. So if you can get that pogo stick over 200 you can get a hat.

Well, I guess I'm going to be building a Group G vehicle for next year so I can get a cheap red hat.

Group G - Quad Racers
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 07:42:57 PM »
Okay, John -- you may have better information than do I.  I talked with one of the crew -- but his English, while better than my French, still isn't great and I couldn't ask him too many questions (even though FIM Charlie was interpreting).

I know the sheave on the primary is variable, which is standard snowmobile, but this one locks up manually when triggered by gthe rider.  As for turbo and intercooler -- again, the crew guy implied that the internals were stock and didn't address the blower and assorted add-ons.  Thanks for the correction.  Did you have anything to do with the rods and pistons (just curious)?

By the way, Mike Cook reminded me that the snowmobile ran under FIM rules and met their standards and requirements.  Not SCTA or ECTA or Loring or Nascar, but FIM.  I would guess that the next step, after this discussion is done, is for some interested party to go to SCTAand/or the Bville 2 Club and petition them to allow/disallow such non-traditional wheeled vehicles.  But I'm not on the board of SCTA or Bonneville 200 MPH Club -- just a member of the Club and the Gear Grinders (Go GG!)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 07:50:02 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

McRat

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 07:55:34 PM »
I'm not 100% sure but I'm thinking that is perhaps the fastest a snowmobile has ever gone.  Snowmobile racing is very popular, and there are lots of heavily modified (even multi-engine) racing snowmobiles.  IIRC, one has went 192mph.  

Not "fastest with Class 2x1g section 8 body panels, built between 1927-35, with pushrods, and 751-1000cc".  Nor do I believe they go 175+ mph on your way home from the dealership after just getting your learner's permit.

Sounds like quite an accomplishment.  I imagine the Red Hat is icing on the cake.   Claiming to have built and ridden the world's fastest snowmobile is probably what they were after.

:cheers:

Offline zpower

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 08:29:21 PM »
Francis  u are the WORLD FASTEST   SNOMOBILE DRIVER IN THE WORLD congrat my friend.
FOR all the G_FORCE TEAM  you are a pioneer team.Nobody before you try to do 200mph pass on 1mile in salt flat whit a snomobile.U prove  whit your achievement how u are serious about  racing.Congrat all of you !   :cheers:

« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 08:34:58 PM by zpower »

Offline bak189

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 08:39:21 PM »
All this talk about the "200mph Club" ....present and past just shows that to get into the club you have to know the "right people"...........It is VERY political........as for myself, that is all I will say about this subject
..........because I personally believe the ONLY non-political 200mph club is the one at the BUB Trials....you go 200mph you get a hat and are in the club, no minimuns and no BS..............Simple..........................
Question authority.....always

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 09:06:02 PM »
All this talk about the "200mph Club" ....present and past just shows that to get into the club you have to know the "right people"...........It is VERY political........

very astute, bak189!
gregory w. gillette
aka: monty wolf (not monte wolfe)

"fear is never boring!"

read all about it: http://montywolf.blogspot.com/

Offline johnbeck

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 09:27:31 PM »
Bak189, I have known all the right people for a lot of years and I just earned my hat this year at speedweek. Its not what everybody else thinks, weather they are in the club or not, It's the personal acheivement that counts. I don't think that the saltmobile rider wen't threw all the time and expense just for the hat, its all about the ride people, all about the ride.
nitro junkie