Author Topic: TREITS STREAMLINER  (Read 1810903 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: TREITS STREAMLINER
« Reply #450 on: December 22, 2010, 09:17:06 PM »
I guess us old guys were lucky to have the advantage in school to have these classes. Things were still built in the USA and as kids that had that chance to develop the modern things that are farmed out all over the world today. We as a nation need to bring it back to this country.

Keep those kids involved, I am proud of what you are doing.

Merry Christmas.
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Tman

« Reply #451 on: December 22, 2010, 10:46:20 PM »
I guess us old guys were lucky to have the advantage in school to have these classes. Things were still built in the USA and as kids that had that chance to develop the modern things that are farmed out all over the world today. We as a nation need to bring it back to this country.

Keep those kids involved, I am proud of what you are doing.

Merry Christmas.
 :cheers:

Glen, I agree and preach this all the time! I am only 41 which means I was in shop class in the early 80s. In 84 I was allowed to take a disassembled 12g to woodshop to make a new stock for it. We learned plastics,metal,wood. these days many of these classroms are only full of computers!? we are talking only 25 years time and we have lost this much!Sorry, to derail the thread. Trent

Offline Freud

« Reply #452 on: December 23, 2010, 02:48:03 AM »
Be ready. We will have another post on www.target550.com this Friday. Some exciting stuff.

I appreciate the support that you extend to all of us involved with this site.

It's a blast being part of it.

Merry Christmas from Marlo, Jim, Dave and Jason.

Ray Therat and I are just along for the free food.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #453 on: December 23, 2010, 10:21:50 AM »
The Manhattan project in WWII was dreamed up by the theoretical brains, but it was the "lowly" techs who took shop class along with Richard Feynman who built the actual working device! This project is an LSR A-bomb all the way! I am drooling from afar and eagerly awaiting the Trinity event!

Thanks for all the updates - it's like Christmas all year long!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Freud

« Reply #454 on: December 23, 2010, 12:44:44 PM »
Woody, there is one thing that slides through my mind as I drive home from Hume's.

What's he gonna do when it's done?

It will never be done, for him and his crew, until the car is done running.

Absolutely no way will the car run w/o the build crew being there as a major part of the crew.

Any problems that may come up can be handled faster by them than anyone else.  They are the warranty crew.

At this stage, contemplating running is a distant thought. Discussions don't center on that. They concentrate

on one area until it is resolved and then head to the next.  I wonder how Hume can sleep.  There are

so many parts and areas that just happen to be ready when needed. His organizational ability is mind boggling.

I'm fascinated. Sometimes when I leave his driveway I don't even know which way to turn.

The odds are 50/50 for Doris. She can always hope.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #455 on: December 23, 2010, 03:10:37 PM »
As I said in a post several months ago, at some time they will be "finished" in the bare metal stage and then they have to blow it apart and and do all of the painting, plating, coating and what ever else they are going to do to finish the parts and then re-assemble. That part of the project itself is mind boggling to me. With this type of project you also just don't get it all assembled and hit the start button and go for it, the effort just to get it to roll under its own power will be monumental! With so many special systems and mechanisms and "trick do-dads" this car will have a long gestation period before it ever turns a wheel in anger, and hopefully thru Ray and Freud we will all be along for the ride. Thanks Freud and Ray!!!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Freud

« Reply #456 on: December 23, 2010, 07:35:14 PM »
Rex, u nailed it.

We have even discussed the tear down and the possibility of cataloging it on a computer to guarantee that special bolts,

similar pieces that aren't the same, all wires and tubing marked and recorded as to location and all of the unique pieces

go back where they belong.

There are welds that need to be finished on the bottom side, plating  of many items and the paint and coatings that will be needed to

protect it in the hostile environment of a salt flat. As much stainless steel as practical has been used. Any piece that can be anodized

or coated is done when it is finished.

Sorta like putting the Christmas tree up.  It still has to be taken down and if the plan is to use it next year, storage and marking is mandatory.

I'm happy that you spelled out why the run date is impossible to predict.

Merry Christmas from all of us.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline hitz

« Reply #457 on: December 24, 2010, 01:25:44 AM »
Freud,

Your pictures are an important part of this project. They will be looked through many times as the car goes through it's post paint assembly. I know the quality and detail of the photography is going to help. Did you notice the last picture you posted here showed Jason's reference marks for the tangent of the bends on some of the tubing?

I've noticed that if something that looked good on the car but not quite perfect mechanically it was soon changed. The work on this car will influence many new builders to do as good a job as they can. Kudos!

Harvey

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #458 on: December 24, 2010, 11:29:07 AM »
Before Freud makes the official announcement, I'll just let ya know that the regular Friday post is on the Target 550 server:
http://www.target550.com/gallery/80_instrument_panel_gauges_plumbing/index.html

I'll let him do further explanation.

Offline Freud

« Reply #459 on: December 24, 2010, 12:43:31 PM »
This will be the last full post before Christmas..........it's almost that time anyhow.

http://www.target550.com/gallery/80_instrument_panel_gauges_plumbing/index.html

I seem to skip from place to place but it's all exciting to me.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #460 on: December 24, 2010, 01:35:50 PM »
Thanks Harvey.

Dave did the tubing for the oil system. Jason did the small stainless lines and is now back on panels.

I put the two pieces close to one another to show how he made the pattern and then the finished piece.

I am totally amazed the way their work overlaps at times and then how unrelated their tasks are at another.

There is a harmony in that shop that seems to feed on their enjoyment of the project.

It is an amazing build.

Thanks for your interest and comments. We appreciate that.

FREUD

« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 01:39:46 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #461 on: December 24, 2010, 01:38:59 PM »
Wow! This is a very amazing build, with tons of info! Keep up the great work and posts!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Freud

« Reply #462 on: December 24, 2010, 02:09:45 PM »
As the year draws to an end I want to take this time to say, "Sumner, come on back."

I miss you.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #463 on: December 24, 2010, 02:18:51 PM »
Freud,
I will second the return call for Sumner.  Sumner, I hope your health is good and your lakester project is starting to get going again.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #464 on: December 24, 2010, 02:25:21 PM »
Essential tools for dismantling:
Zip Lock bags
Wire tags
Black marker
Digital camera - take a picture of the bolts and parts from each section before you bag it.

I've dismantled machines much larger than this project. Don't plan on remembering anything. Document, document, document.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.