Author Topic: Cool suit alternative  (Read 5672 times)

Offline jdincau

Cool suit alternative
« on: July 05, 2009, 06:47:31 PM »
     Joe at D J Safety suggested we try this. A Parker Pumper is mounted in the trunk with a vacuum cleaner hose attached. While sitting in line waiting to run we put the hose with a crevice tool on the end of it down the neck of Tony's suit. When he is ready to leave we just shut off the blower and coil the hose in the trunk. Nothing to maintenance or leave in the pits. At the June lakes meet he said it worked great, he could feel the air flowing down his back and arms.
Jim
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline pookie

Re: Cool suit alternative
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 08:37:07 PM »
jdincau.... I have never heard of a "Parker Pumper"!!! Could you enlighten me, Please.  Thanks Mike R.

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 09:18:15 PM »
Probaby a product of Parker Pumper,the race car component sales company in Mira Loma, Ca.

It's a Roundy-Round driver breathing/cooling system I recall.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 09:21:52 PM by interested bystander »
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline jdincau

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 10:45:27 PM »
Parker Pumper makes helmet fresh air systems for off road racing

Parker Pumper
3834 Wacker Drive
Mira Loma, CA 91752
(800) 700-2350 Toll Free

http://www.off-road.com/dirtsports/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=252728
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline hitz

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 01:21:58 AM »
I installed one in my enclosed lakester. Hope to try it out at speedweek. It just pulls in outside air through a filter and puts it into my helmet. I might run it through my intake air charge cool air box if I have time to build one. Keeping your head cool is a good way to keep you body temp down.

Harv

Offline akk

• owner of #920/928 Contrivance Special
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 11:35:15 AM »
We put some ice in a zip-lock bag, put it on our chest inside of the driver suit between the shoulder straps..... works great! ( wear a t shirt or you will get the shivers)

akk
holder of AA/GMR A/GMR B/GMR C/GMR D/GMR E/GMR records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 11:47:21 AM »
There are also these nifty landracing.com neck coolers.  We sold all we had with us at Maxton -- but will have a good supply at the Salt.  They're five bucks each.  They absorb water and swell to the size you see here.  Buy two -- one for your neck, the other in the ice chest re-charging after picking up lots of heat from your body.  When they dry out the shrink back to pretty-much flat.

And by buying them -- you're supporting this website.   We thank you for that support.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 12:47:34 PM »
reckon I will be having a few of the collars. I just got some Helle hansen stay cool base layer stuff looks like a body stocking so it dosent look that attractive on me but anything to try and stay cool, I cant figure out how it works as it seems to be made out of a high proportion of polypropylene,Strange.

TTFN Oz
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 12:03:04 AM »
There are also these nifty landracing.com neck coolers.  We sold all we had with us at Maxton -- but will have a good supply at the Salt.  They're five bucks each.  They absorb water and swell to the size you see here.  Buy two -- one for your neck, the other in the ice chest re-charging after picking up lots of heat from your body.  When they dry out the shrink back to pretty-much flat.

And by buying them -- you're supporting this website.   We thank you for that support.

Glad to hear they're avialable, did you nave a pic?
Just happy to be here. :-D

Erik

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 01:48:54 PM »
Yup -- but no.  That is, I've got a photo in the other computer but have suffered a failure of the internet connection to it so I can't get to said photo.  I'll take another one today and put it on photobucket so it's available no matter where I am.

Anyway -- Nancy spent time yesterday and today making some more of 'em -- so we hope to have a hundred or more ready for SpeedWeek.  Visualize them as . . .

A neck bandana, about three feet long, seamed at the center of that 3 feet, with a fat hot dog sewed into each side of the center seam, then seamed so said hot dogs won't fall out.  The hot dogs (so to speak) are flat and non-existent when bone dry -- but swell to full-size when soaked in water for an hour or so.  They re-dry and get flat in a day or two of sunlight.

I'll get a photo on this thread soon.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 04:34:45 PM »
 :-o That drying, swelling, shrinking, drying, swelling sure sounds familiar some how.  Must be old age!
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 07:10:57 PM »
Nexxussian and everyone else:

Here's a photo of dried neck coolers.  They'll be available at SpeedWeek in our pit and at Salt Talks, for $5 each, some of which coves the cost of making them, and the rest of the money goes toward the upkeep of this site.  Buy at least two -- one for your neck and the other for your ice chest where it's cooling off and waiting its turn to help keep you vertical and sucking air during the heat of the day.  They're about three feet long overall, with the two sections that absorb and swell up about 8" each.  You'll see here the center seam and so on.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 07:40:55 PM »
Jon, save me two, maybe 4
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 07:58:20 PM »
Jon,

I've been using those for several years and believe me, there is NOTHING more refreshing!  I guess I'm gonna be on that list of buying one from you, I can't seem to find any of mine (probably in storage somewhere!)  Really, guys and gals, this is one product you don't want to be without!!  These things are almost better than the T-shirts!!  Better grab 'em while you can and once you use them, you'll kick yourselves for not using them before this!!

Thanks for all that you do for us Jon!

See you on the salt!

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 10:14:05 PM »
If you are goint to use a Parker Pumper type device for 2009 the hose must becovered with a flame resistant material; page 30 of the 2009 rule book. After you have your hose you can find flame tubing at McMaster-Carr........... good luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro