Author Topic: El Mirage 5/16/09  (Read 41694 times)

Offline desotoman

Re: El Mirage 5/16/09
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2009, 06:56:49 PM »
I hope everyone enjoyed these pictures.

Photos by Tom G.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 07:09:38 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2009, 07:38:51 PM »
TOM,
THANK YOU!
Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2009, 08:13:35 PM »
Tom --

How could you miss that record-setting C/Street Roadster this morning.  Thought you were coming by.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline desotoman

« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2009, 08:31:21 PM »
Stan,

As I got there this morning I parked in behind the Announcers Stand. As I was walking North to the starting line I heard the announcer say your name and Jim's name. Then I see your car take off down the course from a distance. I said to myself I will never find Stan now, and I didn't. Sorry, I really wanted to talk to you and Jim.

Did you set a record? If so way to go. Where do you guys pit? Are you going to run next month? If so I promise I will take some good pictures of your car. I think this was the biggest El Mirage event for spectators that I can remember.

Once again sorry I missed you and Jim, (It won't happen again)

Tom G.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 10:16:37 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Dreamweaver

« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2009, 09:50:13 PM »
If I knew how to post pics I would.......

Bro and I had a good time....was hot!

Saw a couple of records set Sunday AM.

Offline mkilger

« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2009, 09:55:02 PM »
Stan, what a great pass, looked and sounded  good, whats next  AA/STR come on its only 190.154 maybe someone got your pass  on utube?

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2009, 10:26:00 PM »
Yeah -- hadn't though of that.  AA, hell AAA.  Pretend we're on the other coast.  How 'bout AAA/Blown Fuel Partially Modified Roaster -- It's open, isn't it?

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2009, 11:09:59 PM »
Tom --

Our goal this weekend was to get enuf points to have a good starting position in June so we could try to take the record over 190.  Never made it to the starting line on Sat. with a 241 starting position, but were about 5 back on Sunday morning.  Our driver hadn't used the new wrap-around windshield at Elmo and was cautioned by an official Barbee that the dust would rise up.  He reports he could not see the course, nor the tach, from the middle of 3rd gear thru the lights.  Sound shifted to 4th and after a while saw a cone once in a while until he saw a clump of them which he took as the finish line.  Had his hand for minutes on the chute release and that vision triggered a response.

He said he was heading Glen's advise to exit the course quickly and did so off to the left.   He over exited to the concern of many officials who thought he knew better.  He didn't, but says he now does.  He went 193.9xx and will probably not be asked back the rest of the year.  That's probably as fast as the old crate will go on a dirt field.

There's talk of putting me back in the driver's seat (after I finish rehab) and get my state license back.  I guess I'd have to start at the bottom again, but I've done that in Wells once or twice.

Thanx for asking,
Stan Back

Offline mkilger

« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2009, 11:30:12 PM »
I like to start at the top and work my way down:wink:

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2009, 11:34:04 PM »
Jim, are you crying wolf.......?  :-D Dang you always seem to find a mph or 2..... Good for you.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2009, 12:38:19 AM »
Stan,

Way to go! Saw your Pit on the way in Saturday. Left the Car home (5 & 1/2 months seamed like so much time to make the changes for this year), but had a patrol duty. Meant to stop by but got stuck watching dust blow by.

Tom

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2009, 01:05:39 AM »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2009, 01:10:06 AM »
Looks like the Moon disks and those special rear shocks Al had made for you were the big difference, nearly 5 mph.

Congratulations.

Woulda liked to come back Sun but it isn't every day my nephew goes to Israel to become a Rabbi.

And how 'bout that Jim Stevens flathead coming close to 200 -on gas - with Record Rick driving!

« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 01:40:00 AM by interested bystander »
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2009, 10:56:11 AM »
I got to Elmo Friday afternoon and stopped by the Langlo pits and "officially" met John and Troy, great guys! I was not able to stay for Sunday and missed their run but it looks like they probably were not able to hook the 2000+ hps to the dirt on Sunday. Real glad to see that Rick got the "OFFICIAL" XF record on Sunday. Rich and Jack are doing their standard deal, don't just break the record annihilate it! Saw them go 186 on Saturday but then get DQed because their paper work was incorrect. That is one great sounding flat head! The real question is can it go 5 miles and over 301 at B'ville?? Sure hope so.

To bad the weather on Friday didn't hold over till Saturday but still had a dirty great time.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2009, 11:35:10 AM »
Interested --

I think the tonneau you cobbled up made the difference -- funneling the dust up to the helmet area gave quite an aero advantage.  Plus it allowed the driver to remain calm as he couldn't see how fast he was going and scare himself.

Stan