Author Topic: 2 II Ratical ---- aka Too 2 Ratical Liner #211  (Read 57250 times)

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
Re: 2 II Ratical ---- aka Too 2 Ratical Liner #211
« Reply #135 on: June 04, 2010, 11:46:49 PM »
Sometimes, I almost wish that I was running something like a Mod. PU  or something that was more bolt together---notice that I said SOMETIMES!!!!!!!!

The grass is always greener . . .

I find myself thinking, as I work on the Midget, "Geez, if I could only just lose this production-based crap and start with a build table and some tubes".

Tell you what, Sparky, I'll work on your car for a week, and you can work on mine. 

I suspect we'll both be wanting to go home by Tuesday afternoon! :-D

Gosh guys,,, I sure know how you feel !!! 
But when the builds are done and the cars drive off under there own power that is when it will be hard to wipe the big grins off our faces.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: June 05, 2010, 12:28:23 AM »
I might feel capable of making brackets for your 2 cars---might is the operative word!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #137 on: June 05, 2010, 01:21:09 AM »
Sometimes, I almost wish that I was running something like a Mod. PU  or something that was more bolt together---notice that I said SOMETIMES!!!!!!!!

The grass is always greener . . .

I find myself thinking, as I work on the Midget, "Geez, if I could only just lose this production-based crap and start with a build table and some tubes".

Tell you what, Sparky, I'll work on your car for a week, and you can work on mine. 

I suspect we'll both be wanting to go home by Tuesday afternoon! :-D

Therein lies another of the great intangibles of Landspeed racing.......i just sent a PM to someone over there who's got a Stude... we can barely talk the same language but we "get" it....sure the grass is always greener, but...................
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #138 on: June 23, 2010, 03:50:44 PM »
We got a phone call from Terry Mouer today the front hubs and stub axles are actually being worked on we may have axles by SW.  We had a discussion about castellated nuts.  I have seen some somewhere that allow for very small adjustments;

What have others used for this---Timken wants very close tolerance on lash and preload.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #139 on: June 23, 2010, 05:26:02 PM »
Sparky,
Preloading tapered roller bearings (Timkens)is a very touchy proceedure and it is better to be to lose than to tight. The best way (in my opinion) is to calculate or measure the distance between the inter bearing races and then make a solid spacer to fit between the two races that is that dimension, this allows you to tighten the spindle nut as tight as you can make it because the bearing spacing (pre-load) is set by the spacer. I usually come up with the exact dimension then make the spacer in two parts one about 1/4 inch short and then make a series of .245 to .255 thick spacers in .0005 increments and then fit the bearings and spacers till the pre-load is correct when I really torque down the spindle nut. Doing it this way make is easy to always have the correct bearing spacing every time you take the hub off.

If you are having your spindles made have the threads for the nut made to the bearing manufacture's specifications for bearing lock nuts, this will require that there be a keyway thru the threads but then you can use the standard bearing lock nut and washer which give you an almost infinate amount of position adjustments for the lock nut.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #140 on: June 23, 2010, 08:05:24 PM »
Rex,  I think I understood that way they are being made is that the hub is being made to bolt to the outer stock GM 4X4 steering knuckle. The hub will capture the inner and outer races in such a way that we will have to use temp. diffs. to remove them and the stub axle will have an inner shoulder that we tighten against to achieve the almost zero/zero I am sure there will be little torque. As we turn the wheels any in and out movement will be transferred across the u joint to the inner axle shaft which will be able to move slightly in and out of the carrier.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #141 on: July 03, 2010, 09:37:34 AM »
Yeah!!   We picked up the 6 18" Taylor Made wheels,  had a nice visit with Taylor and Chuck,  yesterday and dropped them and 3 M/T 30" for the front and ordered 3 M/T 26"s for the rear.  Sorry did not have the camera with me for picts. Called Terry at Mouer Machiene Co---May soon have the front hubs and outer stub axles-- then to Texas and try to finish the axles
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 11:34:40 PM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #142 on: July 06, 2010, 11:35:47 PM »
Jeez you have to sign a 5-6 page relaease to get M/Ts now-  :-o --wow

Offline mkilger

« Reply #143 on: July 07, 2010, 11:27:21 AM »
Sparky, can you still get the 30in 600MPR tire from M/T?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #144 on: July 07, 2010, 07:56:55 PM »
Yes they said that they have a 3 sizes in stock

BONNEVILLE TIRE SPECIFICATIONS            

Size   24.5x7.50-16   26.5x9.0-18   30.0x9.0-18   

Part No.   033060   033057   033011   

Approx Weight   13 Lbs.   16 Lbs   19 Lbs.   

Measuring Rim   5.5x16   6.5x18   6.5x18   

Rim Width Range   4.0-5.5   6.0-7.0   5.0-7.0   

Tread Width *   5.2"   7.0"   6.7"   

O.D. (Static) *   24.2"   26.1"   29.4"   

Section Width *   7.5"   9.0"   9.0"   

Est. Speed Rating    375 + MPH   475 + MPH   590 + MPH   

Price    $720.00     $740.00     $760.00    

*APPROXIMATE INFLATED DIMENSIONS @ 90 PSI         
      NOTE:  ALL TIRES ARE TUBELESS      

ABOVE SPECS PER M/T ENGINEERING:  REVISED AS OF JULY 29, 2003            

« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 10:55:20 PM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: July 07, 2010, 10:58:45 PM »
I copied the price and spec copy of the reply

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #146 on: August 26, 2010, 11:19:40 AM »
We got an education on mounting LSR tires yesterday---tried to pick up IIs new wheels an tires yesterday ---trying to mount 26" on 6" rims was quite the experience during 3 hours we got air in one of the 3.  I can't even imagine trying to  this at a shop that is not familiar with these tires.

Nate is going to have to use the HEAVY GOOP process---get them mounted sets them set for a week break them down clean them up them remount.. wow