Author Topic: Aerodynamics  (Read 21345 times)

Offline Mooseman

• New folks
Aerodynamics
« on: April 03, 2009, 05:12:25 AM »
My apologies if this has been discussed previously , but I was wondering how you guys come up with different aerodynamic designs . I am aware of wind tunnels and computational fluid dynamics but for someone like me who does not have access to such luxuries and I am sure alot of you guys are the same how do you come up with the best ideas . Personally I did technical drawing back in high school so I am sure I could sit down with a pencil some paper and a ruler and draw something but how do guys come up with your optimum aerodynamics . Don't be afraid to get technical with your answer's I am sure I will have an idea of what you are meaning .

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Aerodynamics
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 07:39:45 AM »
I would think that one "LOOKS TO" things that have a reputation for being "GOOD" in the application and SPEED RANGE you are intrested in--then ADAPT and INNOVATE!!!!!!!!!  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless Two

• newest member of the 199.9 club :)
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 07:47:11 AM »
i like them import cars with the big tail things!  you know they are fast when they gots one of them!  :mrgreen:
Look at my new RED HAT!!!!

#278 1000CC APS-G 208.959MPH record
209.093 mph best time

pit bitch to #1000 Bockscar

Proud to be a Texan!  in San Antonio

Offline crusher

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 11:19:40 AM »
Mooseman
Make it as small and as long as you can .The only limit is the size of your garage. :-D
www.mikecharlton.  Thats how we do it.
Mike

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 03:37:16 PM »
Take a look at the pictures in a Bonneville program from any recent year -- you'll find lots of different answers to the same question in even the same class.

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Mooseman

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 06:48:52 PM »
i like them import cars with the big tail things!  you know they are fast when they gots one of them!  :mrgreen:

:-o :-o :? :? :-o :-o I am glad I think you are joking . At least I hope you are joking .

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 06:51:26 PM »
SS2 never jokes. :roll:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Mooseman

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 06:58:52 PM »

Good thing I don't like imports then , I am a v8 , hotrods person myself .

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 07:20:43 PM »

Good thing I don't like imports then , I am a v8 , hotrods person myself .

They make V8s in New Zealand? :evil:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

McRat

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 07:28:32 PM »
Believe it or not, Australia and New Zealand are real hotbeds of V8 high performance.  The tuning tools I use for Corvettes, Camaros, and my diesels, is from New Zealand and it's the best stuff out there (EFILive).  The "down-under" guys are very hard-core hotrodders, especially with the late model stuff.

Offline joea

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 09:46:59 PM »
mooseman, i would be careful garnering advice.....you might want
to listen to folks who have gone fast, or have been involved in going
fast........

alot of folks offer advice....who have no real world results to back it up.....

there have been some interesting threads on this site....you may want to do a search....

ignorance is bliss........

Offline Stainless Two

• newest member of the 199.9 club :)
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 11:49:19 PM »
I still think the really fast cars have a big wing on the tails...and probably the loud exhaust has something to do with it...okay, okay, i jest...  i apologize
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 09:00:51 AM by Stainless Two »
Look at my new RED HAT!!!!

#278 1000CC APS-G 208.959MPH record
209.093 mph best time

pit bitch to #1000 Bockscar

Proud to be a Texan!  in San Antonio

Offline Mooseman

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 12:16:13 AM »
I still think the really fast cars have a big wing on the tails...and probably the loud exhasy has something to do with it...

I really do hope you are just messing with me because I am a newbie and that you aren't serious . I may be young but im not stupid. I am not one of those young guys who walks around with their hat on sideways and their pants around their ankles . I don't even like japanese cars . I dress properly and I am interested in hotrods and v8's , drag racing . I may only be 20 but I spend my spear time reading about engines and what makes them tick and how to make them run better . My favourite engines being the early Hemi V8's and the 426's even though I have never had one yet .

I asked a question about how to work out theoretical aerodynamics because I am aware that just because something may look aero doesnt make it so . I hope to learn alot from this site that may apply to many of my interests .

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 01:45:26 AM »
Mooseman,
Heid the post from Sparky, look at what is going fast and use that for a base. Lots of stuff on aero out there so if you like to read try "The Leading Edge" by Goro Tamai, can be a little heavy in math and about sun powered vehicles but what he talks about is what it important in landracing. Also search for post on Landracing from "Blue" lots of good info from him.

Just keep asking questions, ignore some of the BS comments on this site and start building. Make a trip to Bonneville too,the best people in racing!! and it gets in your blood and it will make you come back with a car.

See you in August!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline jl222

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 01:52:05 AM »
Mooseman

What type of a vehicle you want to build? As one post said just because it looks good doesn't mean its correct. I have gotten a lot of help from Carroll Smiths books [tune to win] Prepare to win and enginere to win
 some aero and wing building and fabrication + LOTS MORE. Not much on streamliners but still good info.

Good Luck JL222 :cheers: