Author Topic: steering wheel  (Read 3461 times)

Offline hitz

steering wheel
« on: April 03, 2009, 12:41:48 AM »
Still trying to put a picture on this forum. This is a steering wheel I fabricated from 6016-T6 and oak for my lakester.

Harv

Offline hitz

Re: steering wheel
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 12:48:03 AM »
Well that certainly is small enough. :-o

Offline hitz

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 01:37:11 AM »
Earlier pic.

Harv

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 10:08:16 AM »
Harv, a couple of questions, how far do your arms go past the wheel and how much steering do you have lock to lock?

The reason I ask is in the event of an accident, your hands may not be on the wheel and the edges can cause injuries.  I suspect you have, but sit in the car with the belts and arm restraints on and check your range of motion and its range of motion. 

Nice wheel, just don't want it to cause you any problems....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline hitz

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 12:19:22 PM »
Stainless,

The str. wheel turns 90 deg. lock to lock. The fingers just reach to the fire system control outside of the wheel turning circle. I can pull the chute and the fire system at the same time if I need to. This is the second str. wheel I've made, it is 1 1/2 in. shorter than the first one. Good eye Stainless. I'll radius the edges on the wheel.
  The cockpit measures 19 1/2 wide at the steering wheel. Every thing is pretty close but probably more room than the Bockscar.
  I'll try to post a picture of the cockpit at the str.wheel area. No guarantee on posting pictures yet.

Couldn't get the pic on

Thanks for your concern.

Harvey

Offline jwyer

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 04:20:44 PM »
That is identical to the one Mark Williams sells.  Every dragster, F/C, & altered has one.  Just bought a gold anodized one for my under construction modified roadster.