Author Topic: Corrosion Prevention on Non-race cars  (Read 16795 times)

Offline Beltguy

• Beltguy website (links to my other sites)
Corrosion Prevention on Non-race cars
« on: March 16, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
Well, this year I finally get to go back to Bonneville and I am stoked!!!!!.  Have been a spectator at many events, but business conflicts have prevented me from going the last few years.  This year I will again attend only as a spectator/flunky helper :-(

Each time I have gone, my driver has really suffered from the affects of the salt.  I have tried several home remedies (such as spraying linseed oil all over the exposed areas) but none seem to work very well.

I did a search and found these two threads:

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,4120.0
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,3224

These threads seem to focus on the race car.  There, the car can be properly prepped when it is built.  However, we are stuck with having to do some sort of preventative measure on a vehicle we can't take apart and prep.

From the reading, it looks like a reasonable solution is:  http://www.saltx.com/saltx_prod_saltx.htm.  If this product works, I would spray the truck before I left and again at the salt before I leave the road. 

What has been your experience with SaltX?  Are there other methods that work well for you?

Jim
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 12:21:26 PM by Beltguy »
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Retired Gates Blower Belt "expert"
My tribute to the Phoenix Land Speed Record Truck:
http://www.beltguy.com/Phoenix_LSR_Truck/The%20Phoenix%20LSR%20Truck.htm

Offline 836dstr

Re: Corrosion Prevention on Non-race cars
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 12:24:33 PM »
Jim,

"Salt-Away" is another good product. I like your idea of a second spraying before going out onto the Salt.

Last year I sprayed the Truck and Trailer before leaving home but went through a big thunderstorm on the way to Bonneville. So much for the treatment.

Tom

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 12:39:08 PM »
You don't say what you are driving but the best preventative is deflection. My truck uses 6 mud flaps and they are larger than normal. The front wheels do a lot of damage with salt. Make your flaps larger and wrap in towards the front suspension. This will help keep it off the trans and its electronics. Same for the front edge, add deflectors to keep it off the front bumper. I use 4 on the back One set at theback of the wheels and another set hanging down from the rear bumper. I also have side deflector from the bed of the truck down covering the rear springs.  I also coat everything with commercial floor wax from Smart and Final.

You nmay ask where do I get the material????? from the side of the roads where 18 wheelers leave them when they fall off. I also cut up pieces of them to set under my tires on the trailer. Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline DallasV

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 01:31:29 PM »
We don't put anything on our vehicles prior to going to the salt, But when we get home we put lawn sprinklers under the vehicles for several hours and haven't had any problems.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Beltguy

• Beltguy website (links to my other sites)
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 01:47:13 PM »
The vehicle is a Dodge 3/4 ton 4X4 service truck.  Not sure that I could put enough mud flaps on.  If I were going to make them, I would use old conveyor belt.  Might put some on, but that still does not help in the wheel well area.

Re sprinkler.  I have worked with Marlow Treit on a couple of projects and that is what he always preached.  When going home, I have prayed for rain, but it never happens.  We live in a subdivision that where the houses are on wells.  The water rights are for domestic use only (no outside water).  The water cops could get you for washing your car.  In addition we are, again, in the middle of a terrible drought and live in fear of the well going dry. 

I had thought of doing a good wash down using the water in the motorhome, but I think that would make matters worse, since you would not get the salt completely off and the moist remaining salt would really be bad.  I have used the one car wash in Wendover and it is a real pain to wait in line and still not get everything off.

Jim
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 01:49:11 PM by Beltguy »
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Retired Gates Blower Belt "expert"
My tribute to the Phoenix Land Speed Record Truck:
http://www.beltguy.com/Phoenix_LSR_Truck/The%20Phoenix%20LSR%20Truck.htm

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 01:53:03 PM »
Last year we Salt x the truck and trailer before we left. Had the guy at the end of the road wash both as we were leaving for home. When we got home Salt x again, sprinklerd the truck and hosed the trailer real good. Everything seems good. Cant wait to do it again. :-D
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 02:36:19 PM »
   With my driver (push truck/van) first I tape plastic sheeting all over inside the vehicle to minimize the amount of salt I carry into the vehicle. On a daily basis, I use packing tape to tape up seams on body panels. Don't let it bake on! I also stop by my local aviation store and pick up a couple cans of Corrosion X. It's the same stuff you spray inside the wings of your Cessna. Spray it all over under and around your vehicle.
   When you get back home, use the sprinkler deal but then get under the vehicle with a screwdriver and pick out all the small corners that salt gets collected into and the sprinkler doesn't get. Do the sprinkler deal again or haul a hose and nozzle under the vehicle with you and prepare to get wet. After it all dries, do the Corrosion X again. You might want to remove all your wheels and hubs for cleaning because your brakes will suffer and the calipers will freeze up. Don't forget your engine compartment. It really takes a beating. SaltAway is also a good product to neutralize the salt.
Ed

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 03:41:07 PM »
There are several good ideas listed. But don't wait until the last minute to do it. I have used salt-x for years with good results. I also have a mud flap that goes all the way across the under side near the transmision. Any way you can stop the salt like JD and others mentioned is going to help.

I spray the salt - x two times before I leave and take a one gallon spray unit with me. At home I use the sprinklers and wash it several times as well. let it dry good and salt - X it again. The wheels come off and the brakes etc. get another good cleaning.
Oh if you have a trailer, it needs the same work before and after. While on the salt, spray WD-40 on the trailer plug and put a plastic bag over it.

I have found that the blue painters tape to be the best and easiest to remove afterwords. Stay tuned as we get closer you will see lots of ideas on this web site. Also I believe a lot of Bonneville information can be searched out in the archives.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 04:31:21 PM »
Maybe a couple more items. The sprinklers are the best idea. Get some of the revolving fan type at low pressure, volume is the key. Tape up the trans, and differential vents or YOU'LL BE SORRY". Also common sense says don't drive fast through standing water, you can ruin brakes, wheel bearings, starters, alternators and anything else electrical. We've all had it happen. Oh yes and brake lines can easily corrode also. There is no end to it but a little forethough will keep your rig running out there for years.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 07:02:30 PM »
$1472 -- is what it cost me last spring to have the brakes redone.  And so I've started using Salt-X.  Ed, you're correct in pointing out that the sprinkler method can leave salt in crevices and crooks and nannies. 

I've got a garden sprayer that's dedicated to Salt-X, and a one-gallon jug of the stuff is in the trailer - so I can re-apply in case we go through a lot of rain.  It's sort of water-resistant -- won't wash off too easily -- but more is better.

I'm thinking that for my birthday -- Nancy is going to buy me a pressure washer.  If so -- and if there's room in the trailer (with four bikes that's a real question) I'll take said washer to Wendover and trade a few minutes of letting you use it -- for a drink for Nancy.  How's that sound?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 09:46:11 PM »
Good idea on the rotors/calipers. I always did the sprinkler deal along with Salt x before and after the event but I never took the wheels off and cleaned the hubs and rotors. I had to change a rotor and when I got into it I was amazed at the damage to the rotor. From now on the wheels are coming off when I get home for cleaning!

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 09:00:27 AM »
      Several years ago while building the car, I installed a 9000 lb hoist outside of the shop, so that when we return from the salt, we put the car, tow vehicle, and all support vehicles on the hoist and remove all of the wheels and put on a rain coat and hat and power wash everything a couple of times. We follow that up with two spraydowns with Salt-Away. We do the trailer the same way. Seems to work pretty well.
Time will tell.  :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 09:51:09 AM »
one more thing..I'm sorry to say I would never ,NEVER, use a power washer. I will not drive in the salt. My favorite sprinkler is one that has a spinner in the middle which floods the underside of the vehicle when it is located there. Mine in on a 6 foot stick so I can move it. Good Luck.......
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 11:31:29 AM »
JD:

Why won't you use a power washer?  I assume you've got a good reason -- but I can't guess what it is, so would appreciate a comment or two.  They've got some good applications in my mind.  Perhaps not for salt removal -- but why won't you use one?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

dwarner

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 11:37:17 AM »
JD is right. All a power washer can do for you is to drive the salt deeper into the nooks and crannies. Remember, the salt gets up there as a liquid. If you change the dry salt back to liquid form it will flow into areas that were formally untouched.

A sprinkler head that will soften the salt deposits is better, let gravity do the work on the soft salt. I know there are issues that some will face such as the well deal mentioned before will make clean up a challenge.

Good luck to all,

DW