Author Topic: Hood Scoop Opinions....  (Read 40856 times)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Hood Scoop Opinions....
« on: February 09, 2009, 10:05:17 PM »
Yes we all know there are formulas for calculating hood scoop openings, but there is a tradeoff in aero vs. hp in pressure recovery. Not to mention airflow needed at lower speeds but higher power output.
Given you need a hood scoop on your car what made you choose the type you run and show us any pictures you might have of the development of your inlet system.

Lets see where this leads us....
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Hood Scoop Opinions....
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 10:50:40 PM »
Hey Mike, I'll start
We use a NACA Duct on the side of the car.  Goes into the airbox at the bottom, through a filter and into the TBs.
No  aero drag, very efficient scoop, pressure in the box.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 10:52:28 PM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 11:32:26 PM »
When we built the car with the twin centrifugals we really didn't have much choice of where we could put the air intake.  We did have someone build a hood for us and it blew off the car at about 265.  The next year we built one ourselves.  We took a pro stock scoop and cut in half long ways, and then only used about the first six inches off the front.  Here is a couple pictures.

first the air intake

you can see the resemblance of the pro stock front

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 11:39:19 PM »
Stainless, I've seen some of the posts you've made regarding the NACA duct on your lakester. Can/would you share some of the development you went through to make it work for you. Most NACA ducts don't work very well in low speed automotive use. I know NACA ducts require very sharp edges & very specific ratio changes in depth vs. width. This is a great option if you can use it on your car but I'm also looking for information on scoops that protrude into the airstream.
Michael LeFevers

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 12:05:25 AM »
Boeing did all the R and D on the scoop  :roll: and its transition to a 3 inch duct.  It came from a burned engine pylon that was being repaired.  Since it was surrounded by burned skin, it could not be reused and was condemned into my trash can.  We built a panel to put it on the car, just trying to put fresh air in the motor area. It was almost impossible to paint, any time paint was sprayed across it the paint would just shoot out the back.  We decided we needed to build a closed induction system.  While most believe the NACA is ineffective at low speeds, we have recorded pressure in the airbox at WOT starting about 190 MPH.  The pressure rises with speed.  We had attempted to double the air by using 2 ducts, thinking we could get more pressure, lost all the pressure, guessed it was running out the other side.  The key to the duct efficiency is the wing, stop by to look at it at WoS. 

Sorry, it an innie not an outie
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Bville701

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 12:12:19 AM »
When we built the car with the twin centrifugals we really didn't have much choice of where we could put the air intake.  We did have someone build a hood for us and it blew off the car at about 265.  The next year we built one ourselves.  We took a pro stock scoop and cut in half long ways, and then only used about the first six inches off the front.  Here is a couple pictures.

first the air intake

you can see the resemblance of the pro stock front

That's a good idea. Did it take a lot of work/ time to make?
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline jl222

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 12:18:57 AM »
  We and Procharger also believe that we get ram air from the 222 cars front scoop.
  All the latest prostock cars have giant scoops along with nitro dragsters and unblown nitro dragsters.
  It seems that air being sucked into the engine would take some of the drag away from the protrusion especialy if it was part of the frontal area anyhow.

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 12:48:19 AM »
Bville701

It was'nt easy but not to hard and a lot easier than for the twin blowers. Look in build diarys starting about pg 6 under [getting ready for Bonneville] to see assembly.

JL222

Offline Bville701

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 12:54:24 AM »
Thanks I will take a look.
Ryan LeFevers

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 01:25:48 AM »
Bville701

It was'nt easy but not to hard and a lot easier than for the twin blowers. Look in build diarys starting about pg 6 under [getting ready for Bonneville] to see assembly.

JL222

page 4 you can see how much room the twins took, page 7 shows the single blower intake build.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 01:46:01 AM by bvillercr »

Offline Bville701

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 12:01:01 AM »
I guess no one else runs any hood scoops?    :roll:        :-D
Ryan LeFevers

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 12:17:12 PM »
"Dyno"

I had thought about running a NACA duct on my Roadster but in talking to some guys very knowledgible in aerodynamics I learned that they are only effective on long flat surfaces like on Stainless' car.

Last lear at Bonneville I was going to test 2 different air intakes. One a hoodscoop with a bellmouth that extended in front of the grill shell. The other ducted air throught the radiator (actually picked up the air in back of the one core radiator) into a plenum. Best laid plans, lost the transmission on the first run. Well, there's always this year!

I'll look for some pictures.

Tom
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 12:30:44 PM by 836dstr »

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 12:51:14 PM »
Here is a link showing how I built the one for the Studebaker.   http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/hooley/hooley-construction-2005-1.html   I always say that it is the ugliest piece I ever made but it works.  It fits directly to the Enderle injector when the front end is on the car.

John
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 01:39:07 PM »
Michael, Have you looked at any of the SAE papers on air inlets?  Just for fun I typed in"Air Inlet' and got about 200 hits. Most local library's can get them for you.
Tony
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 01:53:06 PM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 02:22:49 PM »
Actually I was trying to get more people involved with some tech conversations. Hood scoop ideas seemed like a good topic. I've got a couple more too. Just wanted to get so ideas flowing.

Thanks for the library idea Tony. Thats one I hadn't thought of.  8-)
Michael LeFevers