Author Topic: screwdrivers  (Read 10928 times)

Offline willieworld

screwdrivers
« on: February 07, 2009, 11:49:47 PM »
Tonight I am going to talk about screwdrivers. And I probably won't talk about all screwdrivers but I will try to talk about the most common ones. The first picture will be of the straight screwdriver or the straight slot screwdriver. They come in lots of different sizes and colors and shapes. Chances are you used one at some point.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 02:38:22 AM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

Re: screwdrivers
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 11:53:46 PM »
The next screwdrivers you'll see come in a large variety also and these are phillips. These are very common screwdrivers and I am sure that you probably used one as well. They are probably a little tougher than a straight slot screwdriver because they have four contact points instead of two.
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 11:56:07 PM »
On the next picture you will notice that on some screwdrivers there is a place to put a wrench. Sometimes this is a good thing, sometimes not.
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 11:59:29 PM »
In the next picture you will see some screwdrivers called Torx screwdrivers. They look like a star but instead of having 5 sides they have 6. They are seriously tough. Harley Davidson uses a lot of them.
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 12:04:22 AM »
In this picture you will find another type of screwdriver. It's called a pozidriv. It is kind of like a phillips but has a better grip.The screws on most Japanese carbs use a pozidriv screw. And a lot of people strip the screw heads because they try to use a phillips on it.
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 12:12:17 AM »
In the next picture, these are not exactly screwdrivers but they have screwdriver handles and I keep them inside the screwdriver drawer. If you have some you will probably keep them in your screwdriver drawer as well. From left to right are three scrapers, they're used for scraping gaskets or whatever. The next two are windshield rubber tools. These are made for removing and replacing windows in cars, but not the glue in style. The next one is a headlight spring tool. The next one is a brake spring tool for drum brakes. The next to the last one is a door panel tool. The two top ones are scribes or awls whichever you would like to call them.
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 12:16:59 AM »
In the next pic the three plastic handle screwdrivers are made to hold the screw with the screwdriver so if you have a tight spot where you can't get your hand in to hold the screw. The screwdriver will hold the screw for you. They are not made for tightening the screw. They are made to just get the screw started. Then you tighten with a regular screwdriver. The other is a screwdriver that when I seen it I knew that one day I was going to need it to get into a real tight spot. It's been in my toolbox for 20 years and I have never used it one time. But its a cool screwdriver.
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 12:21:33 AM »
Of the next two, one is not a screwdriver but I keep it in the screwdriver drawer. It is a fixture for holding a chisel or a punch. It works pretty good and keeps you from smashing your thumb. The other one is a flexible shaft screwdriver that has an allen on the end. An allen is a hex drive. This particular one I use it for adjusting the points on the older Harley Davidsons that had a hex drive on the points or a small block chevy.
The most common screws are the ones that I have touched on here. There are some other ones that you will run across. Altogether I think there are about 12 or 13 different kinds of screw drives. But the ones I've touched on here are the ones that you will most likely run into. I didn't dwell on the allen to much, because I will write more on them in another section. On all my snap-on screwdriver handles there is a warning not to use a screwdriver to pry with...very good advice.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 12:32:15 AM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 12:34:38 AM »
The last picture is a picture of my screwdriver drawer in my toolbox. You probably won't need this many screwdrivers but I got a thing about screwdrivers. And don't forget, take care of your tools and they will take care of you.
If you have any questions or comments please feel free to email me at willieworld@hotmail.com

Thank you
Willie Buchta
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 02:47:35 AM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta