Author Topic: Gas Coupe for small engine classes  (Read 22010 times)

Offline JimL

Re: Gas Coupe for small engine classes
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 11:34:01 PM »
A little more progress on the Prius Gas Coupe, today.  We've fitted up the main hoops, crossbars, floor bars, etc.  The rockers are drilled and we dropped the cage through to see how access will be for welding.  Here's some pics of the basic arrangement; you can see the tubes sticking through the bottom, under the rockers (these will end up sitting on 1/4" thick 2x3 angle iron, that welds and bolts to the rockers with backing plates under the car)..

The notches in the center tunnel (one is hidden under the steering wheel, if you look closely) are for 1 5/8" cross tubes.  There will be fore-aft tubes joining the front down tubes to the main hoop down tubes, just above rocker level.  The cross tubes are designed to provide full cage through the bottom of the car (front wheel drive cars are VERY lightly built through the floor pan).  Diagnonals, rear supports, etc. still have to be made up.  We'll also add a full horizontal hoop ahead of the driver's feet, across the front of the foot wells....again because of the very light build of these modern cars.

I threw in a pic of the Rear Engine Modified Roadster project, hanging over the Prius.  It looks short, but it's about 156" wheelbase.  It has all 1 5/8" tube framework around the perimeter of the cockpit (top and bottom) to open up as much space as possible.

Busy day in Long Beach!

More to come,
Regards, JimL

Offline JimL

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 12:47:04 AM »
Upper cage welded, except helmet restraint hoops.  Photos show the cage in "access position" (dropped through bottom of car).  We'll build the floor tube assembly this weekend, to position the seat etc., then the cage moves straight up and gets the top/bottom floor pan plates and all the lower tubes (plus rear down diagonals).  The floor cage welds into the main cage, after the main cage is fully placed.

It looks like we'll narrow the front track 1.3" per side, to allow for MR2 axles (there are two choices of trans and axles, to allow anything from 1.5 liter 4 cyl up to 3.65 liter V6).  This will help move the tires deeper into the front fenders and still have some steering (that was a tough spot on the '04 Bonneville Prius....it wouldn't turn).

Regards, JimL

Offline JimL

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 02:48:53 AM »
Lower cage tubes fitted, seat position determined, driver fit is good.

Still have to fab forward firewall bar (across front of cage, ahead of pedals) and rear supports (to rear suspension boxes; multi-layer strong points).  Also helmet side bars and more braces.

Offline JimL

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 03:08:17 AM »
More work tonight.  We remade the shoulder bar (and right side tube) to match the rule book.  This gained Terry some elbow room on the left side.

We've confirmed that the Prius hubs/knuckles will accept 1st generation MR2 axles.  That is convenient, because those axles will fit the 2000 Celica GTS, close ratio 6-speed trans.

More to come.

JimL

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 12:01:51 PM »
Jim,
Progress is looking good! You trying for this year?

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline JimL

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 11:19:02 PM »
good evening, Rex.  This is not a "this year car" (I don't think; up to what Terry can do). 

It is about to get "interesting" as we've got to move the engine/transaxle and steering rack straight up.  This will allow proper CV joint axle angles.  The rear suspension is a trailing arm beam (stock) that will have the hub locations moved up (to lower the rear).  We didn't do this on the '04 project Prius, and had wheel well intereference and rear-toe-in that was not ideal.... this car will benefit from those lessons learned.

At this point, the plan is to add another bar across the front of the cage (a horizontal hoop, ahead of the driver's feet).  This will allow pedal mounting independant of whatever happens to steering rack connection angles.  My goal is "non-intrusion of controls" in event the front end gets crushed.  Also, by not mounting to the firewall, the pedals and steering can be relocated for shorter driver's (if necessary) in the future.

Terry wants this to be a useful long-term car....one that can run different engines and transmissions, and be serviceable and easy to work on.  It certainly is a slippery shape, and pretty narrow as well.

His cage work is really sanitary, and the tubing fits are unbelievable (makes the welder happy...THANKS ROGER!!)

Regards, JimL

LittleLiner

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2009, 05:55:50 PM »
Knock, knock!!  Anybody home?   

It's been a long time since you posted anything about the project.  I am about to figure out my own cage layout and would love to see how you have progressed since the last post.  I am hoping to be able to borrow some of your ideas for my cage.

Thanks

Offline JimL

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2009, 12:01:33 AM »
Just noticed the post....Terry has been up to his ears in "job work", so the car project is on coast, at the moment.  I know he has done a little more on the suspension stuff, but I haven't seen the car since he moved it home.  Hopefully this winter I can get some pics and add to his build story.

JimL

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2009, 01:47:26 AM »
It looks like we'll narrow the front track 1.3" per side, to allow for MR2 axles (there are two choices of trans and axles, to allow anything from 1.5 liter 4 cyl up to 3.65 liter V6).  This will help move the tires deeper into the front fenders and still have some steering (that was a tough spot on the '04 Bonneville Prius....it wouldn't turn).

The driveshaft shop can make front axles in just about any combination of CV joint/axle length you need if you run into problems.
Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010