Author Topic: Banter...  (Read 19065 times)

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Banter...
« on: January 16, 2009, 02:31:01 PM »
Like I said..just get the money.. :cheers:

The funniest thing I remember from several years back was a members signature line that said something along the lines of

180+++ Maxton record holder in a 3000cc blown or nitrous class (I do not recall) and I am sure he was proud of his phenomenal "record" he set.

Running at an SCTA and running for points is the same as running for points at an ECTA meet other than at SCTA meets you cannot run up in class..

We can agree to disagree..

The cool thing is that an event where you are racing for points is it still gives another racer the chance to enter your class and get a record as well before they are perhaps too high for the novice or one time a season racer.

I hope to see some great speeds come from Jason, Bill, Trilly, Jody, Guy etc..again my personal feeling is not to allow running up in classes and to verify actual vehicle displacement as we are aware of racers that have set records at Maxton with nitrous and with big bore engines that are larger than the entered class allows.  This happened at Bonneville one time with a "Stock Busa" and now the SCTA inspectors do a better job of making sure that the class limits are not being "pushed"

I made mention of the 50cc bike running in an "Unlimited" class, not running up one class say 75cc?..I can read and write, I don't need help so please do not misconstrue my words as I have written them.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 12:12:22 PM by John Noonan »

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
Class jumping, cheating and other misc banter
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 03:09:02 PM »
I'm not sure I understand your hypocritical stance on this John. After all, didn't you enter the ECTA 200 mph club while "running up in class"? If you're so against this practice then why would you reap the benefits of it?

And if someone did in fact bring a class legal 3000cc bike and only ran 188 but that was a record then why shouldn't they be proud of it? They still would have ran faster then anyone else that tried. Maybe they're on their way to faster speeds does that mean they can't be proud of how far they got even if there is more to come? And if it was a 1650 or 2000 cc couldn't they be equally proud? If they built the bike from the ground up (yeah I know i'm sure it was a stock busa) I'd say anyone has a right to be proud of that speed. I just really don't understand why people spend so much time judging other people. If it's your accomplishment you have the right to be proud. If you played by the rules and didn't cheat then you deserve to be proud of anything you successfully do.

Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 03:35:40 PM »
I'm not sure I understand your hypocritical stance on this John. After all, didn't you enter the ECTA 200 mph club while "running up in class"? If you're so against this practice then why would you reap the benefits of it?

And if someone did in fact bring a class legal 3000cc bike and only ran 188 but that was a record then why shouldn't they be proud of it? They still would have ran faster then anyone else that tried. Maybe they're on their way to faster speeds does that mean they can't be proud of how far they got even if there is more to come? And if it was a 1650 or 2000 cc couldn't they be equally proud? If they built the bike from the ground up (yeah I know i'm sure it was a stock busa) I'd say anyone has a right to be proud of that speed. I just really don't understand why people spend so much time judging other people. If it's your accomplishment you have the right to be proud. If you played by the rules and didn't cheat then you deserve to be proud of anything you successfully do.

Debbie

Blah Blah Blah...

I am done..you can continue to twist this in to an anti Noonan rant however call it what you will I could care less, I would love to see engines opened up/inspected/verified..a record book for the racers to look at after a trying season of racing for a record to be proud of and mention to the racers that were not so lucky to get a record..also mention to the volunteers that make it happen.

I would like to hope this event will continue from here on out and not end up like Muroc..

I want it to be a proper event with timing and safety to all.

I entered the 200 ECTA  club by running on a 211mph record and was fortunate to get it..stop twisting words..I made mention of the 50cc bike and running Unlimited..

Deb,

I have an honest question for you:

Would you be as proud setting a record on a 50cc vintage bike at 37mph in a 3001cc fuel class or setting a record over 200mph with Nitrous on your bike in the same engine class your bike actually has?  Real question..just looking for your honest simple (non long winded) answer.  Yes or no..?

And again look at my first response:

I started to say something and then realized about the Org being new and stated to just get the Money..I see you may have missed that?  (~~~~insert some childish icon here please)

J

Your turn.. : )

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 04:50:33 PM »
hmmm that's all very bizarre. I do recall the retiring of the unlimited classes but at the time of retirement the APS/UF record was at 249.307 set by Lee on Rich's bike during the September 2004 meet. That was likely a mistake made in impound (  :roll: ) where the class wasn't in the book so they assumed it was an open class rather then the reality that if the class isn't in the book marked as OPEN then the class its self doesn't exist. The database has it right as seen in the runlog on the ECTA results page.

Ironically it appears that Scott did you a favor by pointing that out. Had you not run again you easily could have gone home to find out that you didn't in fact have a record or possibly even entry to the 200 mph club. BTW, classification is still a function of impound. Any mention of it in tech is usually as a courtesy or even a warning. As in, you can run this class but if you try to take the record I will personally contest it since you and I both know you are not legal! ;)

And now leading this back into the forum in which we are posting... this is one of the complications of running a meet. If there is trouble getting the proper volunteers there is much difficulty in running an adequate impound. Those that do it for the ECTA do a darn good job & we thank them for it but that being said, nobody is perfect including our volunteers. Many of us at the ECTA would love to have the world class impound that the SCTA has but we simply don't have the manpower.

I am eager to see how the LTA will be set up. With any luck the ECTA's hardships and downfalls have been conveyed to them so that they may strive to do it better then us! ;)

Regardless of how they do it, I am very much looking forward to seeing what this new venue and a 1.5 mile track will bring to us all! :cheers:

Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 05:08:15 PM »
I think the message is clear - organisers must make robust rules and then have the people and weight to impose them fairly.  Whatever the distance you get to run, it is good to see new events planned in the USA.  Gives me excuses to vistt more of the Country at some time.

Malcolm
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 07:49:29 PM »
As I recall Slim won the Super Bike Shoot out prize for 600cc ??? bikes on a whiz bang pit bike at 37 mph ... wasnt a record but it was definately legal for the CC of the class and he took home the money ... He may do it again at Loring.
Joe

Offline 2fast4u2c

• http://www.TigerRacingProducts.com
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 08:25:17 PM »
My motor is 1397cc and I have several /F (nitrous only) records at Maxton in larger motor classes that I was allowed to run up in and I'm proud of them all.  I've never run below 1650cc class.  This is an adult icon  :cheers: This is a FRO icon  :mrgreen:  This is the "why can't we all get along" icon  :-D
Sometimes you adult members just amaze me.   :oops:

Guy 
#3135   very far from #4 or #45

And Deb you are still my Cone Queen.  All hail the queen.  :-)
300mph or Bust in 1 mile!!!

Tiger Racing

racin jason

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 08:39:35 PM »

The cool thing is that an event where you are racing for points is it still gives another racer the chance to enter your class and get a record as well before they are perhaps too high for the novice or one time a season racer.

I hope to see some great speeds come from Jason, Bill, Trilly, Jody, Guy etc..again my personal feeling is not to allow running up in classes and to verify actual vehicle displacement as we are aware of racers that have set records at Maxton with nitrous and with big bore engines that are larger than the entered class allows.  This happened at Bonneville one time with a "Stock Busa" and now the SCTA inspectors do a better job of making sure that the class limits are not being "pushed"

I made mention of the 50cc bike running in an "Unlimited" class, not running up one class say 75cc?..I can read and write, I don't need help so please do not misconstrue my words as I have written them.

I'm not sure i understand your point John. I have modified my original post to say "displacement classes" from the original wording "class" IE: singular

From your reply to my post it appears that you support running up one class but do not agree that a racer should be allowed to run up to the unlimited class?

Isn't that like being kind of pregnant? Sort of cheating? You are either in the correct class or you aren't.

Futhermore, I have never posted that you could not read or write. I will admit to sometimes finding it hard to follow your personal agenda, logic and train of thought.

In my original post I was making a direct comparison between setting records against soft SCTA El Mirage minimums versus running up displacement classes and setting records. My point is what's the difference between the two? This was not a personal jab at anyone who does this. If there is anyone at fault it would be the persons involved in setting the minimums that were too low. Reading the record book and using the existing classes to win a championship is a smart way to win. Others may not agree but if it's in the book it's fair game. The trophy is the same size whether you won it racing on minimums and sandbagging or ran against what some would consider "Real records"
Playing chess or racing take your pick!

As far as cheating is concerned i am all for calling cheaters out. Prove the offence and let us know who's cheating so tech and the competitors can have a close look at the vehicle before it runs and takes a legal record out of the book. Rumours and hearsay are just that. Talk is cheap.

We should start another thread with who's been caught cheating and Tech can run over the vehicles with a fine tooth comb. Better yet maybe we should have a three strikes rule?

So who got their knuckles whacked for cheating in 2008??? Mr Pot say Hello to Mr Kettle!

Now back to the original topic.

In conclusion, I support LTA allowing the practice of running up in displacement classes. This is self leveling and the soft records will eventually be eclipsed by "qualified records" as the organization matures and hopefully prospers.

See you in August!

Jason McVicar

« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 09:48:33 PM by racin jason »

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 09:09:10 PM »
I think there are two distinct classes of records.

Sure, if you run on an open record or faster than the last guy you have a record.

There are a lot of records out there that don't get any respect from me. Setting a record and putting it way out of reach is what everyone should be aiming for.

Look at the motorcycle classes. For any given class bigger engines should go faster. Fuel is on average 10+ mph faster than gas. Partial streamlining is 15+ mph faster than naked.

Bonneville in the A-G class - unstreamlined on gas.
500 cc 165 mph
750 cc 171 mph
1000 cc 169 mph
2000 cc 171 mph

Scott Guthrie's 500 record is fast. The other records should be much faster.

500 cc A-G 165 mph
500 cc A-F 170 mph
500 cc APS-G 169 mph
500 cc APS-F 166 mph
All belong to Scott Guthrie. On fuel with partial streamlining and only 1 mph faster?

Don't even get me started on push rod and vintage classes. 500 cc M-VBG? A booming 60 mph. And you complain about the time it takes for the 50cc guys to run. This record and a ton just like will be on the books forever because nobody will ever run the class.

So who has gotten their knuckles whacked this year?Huh?  Mr Pot say Hello to Mr Kettle!

Well, actually nobody has because this is 2009 and nobody has raced.  8-)

In conclusion, I support LTA allowing the practice of running up in displacement classes. This is self leveling and the soft records will eventually be eclipised by "qualified records" as the orginization matures and hopefully prospers.

That's one way to look at it. Running up in class makes money for the organization. Past that it fills holes that don't need to be filled.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Roadsters.com

• Roadsters.com
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 09:15:12 PM »
I tuned into this thread late and haven't read back from here, but noticed a mention of cheating and thought I'd share a story.

Back in 1995 I was helping Chauvin Emmons at his shop. One day we were talking about Bonneville, and out of the blue I said to him, "What do you think about the guys that cheat?"

He laughed and said, "They're fools. They're cheating themselves. Anyone that cheats and gets a record knows they cheated to get it. They're fooling themselves."

Dave Mann
http://www.roadsters.com/

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 09:15:48 PM »
To set Joe's comments - and the record (so to speak) straight:

I ran 31.233 mph on my pit bike at the Street Bike shootout sponsored by Super Street magazine a couple of years ago at Maxton.  I ran the 80 cc Honda in the "under 600 fuel" class.  As I was the only entrant in the class - I was  awarded the prize for the fastest speed of the class.  There was no mention, at any time, of a record.  I ran according to the rules set down by the sponsoring organization, was the fastest under those specific rules, and was the recipient of the prize.

No record was broken or set during the course of my run.  I did get quite a laugh from the spectators, though. . .

But I digress from the topic at hand, as have many of the members of the Forum.  Hey, it's Friday night.  Give us some room to relax, okay?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 09:37:12 PM »
Friday Night,, sitting here having a Bud light Lime and reading the John and Scott duel....

Loring is going to be fun...

Charles
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 09:38:43 PM by Cajun Kid »
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline joea

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 10:14:01 PM »
ahhhhhh..........I so love this stuff.............

each year....we get to know one another.....more and more.....

:):)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 10:30:11 PM »
Time for some Rodney King???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMfr2CgIPhg

:mrgreen:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

racin jason

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 10:38:50 PM »
Hey guys let's not kid ourselves. This stuff is very important.

There are 6,800,000,000 people(six point eight billion for our metric friends!) on this planet and LSR is so important to those people that a total 500 of them built cars and bikes and raced at Speedweek in 2008.

Outside of our little group not a whole lot of people give two hoots what we are doing in the middle of desert or salt flat. If we can't agree between ourselves how are we going to get the other 6,799,999,500 people alive interested in LSR? :cheers:

Good night!