Author Topic: turbo motor build  (Read 88251 times)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: turbo motor build
« Reply #195 on: August 04, 2009, 06:49:35 PM »
Where are you doing the dyno work at??

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #196 on: August 04, 2009, 07:03:33 PM »

Mike

http://www.schnellautomotive.com/

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #197 on: August 04, 2009, 10:12:10 PM »
I thinkn youn need another clamp or two. :-D

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #198 on: August 04, 2009, 10:25:29 PM »
I'm too dumb to even know what we're looking at -- but it seems that there are a few worms and snakes crawling around there that might be heat sensitive.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jl222

« Reply #199 on: August 04, 2009, 10:39:29 PM »

Lookin and soundin good, hope to see you in impound.

JL222 :cheers:

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #200 on: August 04, 2009, 10:48:51 PM »

Mike

http://www.schnellautomotive.com/

I thought that, but driving by perhaps 10 times a week, I couldn't tell from the video.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #201 on: August 05, 2009, 12:33:23 AM »
Mike, have we met in person?
I have been at the NWBR for the last few years but my memory for faces and names last as long as the person is in the room.

We should have lunch sometime and BS about cars.

Portland people are the coolest

~JH

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #202 on: August 05, 2009, 12:48:19 AM »
I don't think we have; I haven't managed to make it to the NWBR.

Lunch sounds good.  PM me when you get back??

Mike

Offline Andy Cooke

« Reply #203 on: August 14, 2009, 05:06:58 AM »
ref you question in the spin thread

"For some reason in the morning the motor wasnt making power through 1-5....but for whatever reason as soon as I hit 6th is came alive. (any thoughts?)"

Was it not boosting, boosting a bit, rev limiting, missfiring, or just not making power?

Do you have a cold start map, low boost, low revs? (I've caught myself out with this one before now)

Do you have any gear dependant maps? Maybe you were stuck in one of them?

Mechanically, I suppose your wastegate could have stuck open, but it seems unlikely.

I'll bet an incar mic would need a bit of bleeping out during that run  :-D

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #204 on: August 16, 2009, 12:28:06 PM »
Was it not boosting, boosting a bit, rev limiting, missfiring, or just not making power?

It started and ran perfect at idle, revved fine and seemed to be tip top. When the engine was about 4K it just seemed sluggish, especially compared to the runs before when the boost came on if felt like a brick to the face.

When letting off the gas between shifts the motor popped (exhaust) a few times.

Hit 6th gear and was like turning on a switch and started pulling like nothing was wrong (except I was only 133 by the second mile and needed more distance to make up the speed).

We noticed a fair amount of salt in the up pipes. I am not sure if this was a result of the spin or other. It looks like the motor was run a good bit with the salt in the intake but was very careful to make sure the intake was plugged every time the car was not running or being towed.

I shut off the motor as soon as the car went around 1/2 spin.....

I dont know if it was a cylinder misfiring due to salt, or the wastegate sticking open (felt like this was the cause by how it acted but.......).

Found once we got it home the motor wouldn't start....applied current directly to the starter....zippo.
Turns out the starter is blown apart internally and the splined starter shaft is missing all its teeth.
When the motor turned backwards it engaged the starter clutch and it must be a gear reduction starter cause it sound like a coffee can full of marbles when shaken!

50$ later and I have a new used starter coming from ebay.
The way I figure it, anytime you can break a part on a race engine and it only cost you 50$.....you had better celebrate!

I am going to see if a slipper clutch (overrun clutch) is available for the busa motor. I know they have them for GP-F1 bikes....maybe I will get lucky and someone is making one for the busa. It would prevent any damage in the future if I (or pops) was to drive backwards @ 200!

I'll bet an incar mic would need a bit of bleeping out during that run

Mostly sobs and whining.

Sooooo close......

~JH

*Andres Segovia