Author Topic: motorcycle "vintage" class model year restrictions?  (Read 11840 times)

Offline reckon

• New folks
motorcycle "vintage" class model year restrictions?
« on: August 30, 2008, 01:17:46 AM »
this has probably been asked before (I did several keyword searches and could not locate the info)
and I'm sure it's in the rulebook, which will be here sometime next week, but,...

what is the model year cut-off for running a motorcycle in vintage fuel/gas and partial streamliner/VF-VG?

is it 1973? or?

I'm getting a couple of bikes donated, and I have a choice of several models in several different model years (some have multi-valve heads yada yada) so I need to tell the person donating the bikes WHICH ones I want.

any help is greatly appreciated.

"you can fix anything, but you can't fix everything"

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
Re: motorcycle "vintage" class model year restrictions?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 01:30:56 AM »
Reckon, this ain't vintage MX or DT. Here vintage is engines manufactured prior to 1956... :-o
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 01:33:56 AM »
i'm  99% its '56.

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline reckon

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 01:34:21 AM »
wow,....... :-(

see? glad I asked here first.

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 01:41:34 AM »
LOL, yeah, when they say vintage here they mean it. So, you'll probablt need to find some different donors...   :-D

Larry
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline willieworld

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 02:24:19 AM »
recon you dont have to wait to see the records         http://www.scta-bni.org     --the mininums for el mirage arnt in the rule book --if there is no listing for a record at bonneville then the class is considered open --- welcome    willie buchta

bonneville records havent updated yet from speedweek but there is a list of the new records under speedweek 08
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 09:44:05 AM »
I've got a copy of the SpeedWeek 208 records -- but I can't get it to open on this laptop so I can post it.  I'll get it up on the front page of the site as soon as possible -- in the meantime I expect Ed will have the information on the SCTA site soon, too.

Sorry for the delay -- not used to working from the front seat of the pickup as we travel.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline reckon

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 04:31:50 PM »
recon you dont have to wait to see the records         http://www.scta-bni.org     --the mininums for el mirage arnt in the rule book --if there is no listing for a record at bonneville then the class is considered open --- welcome    willie buchta

bonneville records havent updated yet from speedweek but there is a list of the new records under speedweek 08

thanks to all for the info,.......just a slight change of plans,....and I need to choose some different bikes

probably a honda xl125, that I'll modify to run in 100cc MPS/BF,...and a 75 yamaha RD125, that's bone stock that I've already had up to 113mph, that hopefully I can run 125cc production G/F.

this is something I have wanted to do since I was a kid, watching craig breedlove on TV, glad I'll finally get the opportunity to start making yearly treks down there.

I'm sure I'll have a great time, sweat alot, get really dirty, go salt blind, and make some lifelong friends.

see ya there.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 07:28:17 PM »
reckon--i dont think there is a production fuel class  ---willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline reckon

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 09:05:10 PM »
reckon--i dont think there is a production fuel class  ---willie buchta

thanks

gas still works, and like I said, the RD125 will do almost 115mph already, I wonder what it'll do after it goes on a diet   :-o

Offline willieworld

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 09:13:18 PM »
on the salt about 103.5  on a good day    LOL ------------ willie buchta

where do you live in the bay area
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 11:05:07 PM »

In 1973, there was total of twelve SCTA classes for open bikes. All based solely on engine displacement and fuel type. Six fuel classes. Six gas classes. Frame type or frame modifications were irrelevant because there was no such thing as a production class. To set a record you had to be the fastest for your displacement class on gas or the fastest for your displacement class on fuel. Period.

Offline reckon

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008, 10:18:21 PM »
on the salt about 103.5  on a good day    LOL ------------ willie buchta

where do you live in the bay area

I live in santa clara, BUT,.....

I work in morgan hill (coyote valley), which gets to 100+ regularly during the summer, and I work in an un-insulated, non air conditioned metal building in which the average temp during the summer is 96 degrees, doing plastics fabrication: mostly prototype one off fabs for "PORTA-BOTE" (cool folding boats), one of our principal customers.

I regularly am working with a 750 degree strip heater, or 600+ degree hot air welder during the heat of summer, so I stay with the mindset that "I am in training for when I go down to bonneville", and if my boss wasn't THE NICEST EMPLOYER in the galaxy, I'd probably move work somewhere cooler. (he also donates shop time, equipment AND raw materials, so I can make stuff for the speed record builds)

for the "you need to be small to run the little bikes" people out there, at this writing I'm 5'7" tall and weigh 160 soaking wet, and should be down to around 150lbs by race day.

like I said I've been thinking this through for more than 40 years now, and I'm SURE I'll blow a couple of things the first time down there, but I learn and plan well, and as you all say "there's always next year"

I got both bikes yesterday, and I got the fairings donated today: a full set of honda RS125 race plastics, I can't wait to get started on them.
I ran my own custom motorcycle paint shop for many years, and hopefully can get much of the parts/work donated, I'm making calls/getting donations nearly everyday

I was going to start a build thread in the other area of the forum as soon as I get situated.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2008, 10:37:18 PM »
reckon--im also from santa clara or was before i moved to modesto 22 years ago --my shop was on lincoln ave in san jose --i am intrested in your work and you may be intrested in mine  if you would like give me a call at 209 6816876  thanks  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2008, 11:05:54 PM »

In 1973, there was total of twelve SCTA classes for open bikes. All based solely on engine displacement and fuel type. Six fuel classes. Six gas classes. Frame type or frame modifications were irrelevant because there was no such thing as a production class. To set a record you had to be the fastest for your displacement class on gas or the fastest for your displacement class on fuel. Period.

That was then.  Time to hit the fast forward button on your life.  In case you're wondering its 2008.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.