Author Topic: Project Hayabusa  (Read 47845 times)

Offline isiahstites

Re: Project Hayabusa
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2010, 06:04:41 PM »
Here is the almost complete table. I am pretty beat from building this and being sick. I still need to add risers in the center of the table to keep it from sagging. The last bike I built on a table like this made the center sag. As the table sits it is level from left to right, however from front to back it is slightly off. I am not sure if it is the table or the floor and I didn't check as I plan on using screw jacks at each end of the table to completely level everything prior to building.

Here is the unfinished upright for the head stock with the motor in place. I will finish the upright later.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2010, 08:33:51 PM »
Scott, your garage floor is usually sloped toward the door for drainage.  Get well and get back on the saddle.  :cheers:

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2010, 06:20:59 PM »
I made it out to the garage today, which I did not think would happen as I have been pretty dam sick for a week. Also got in a little O.T. at work today, got a phone call on my way to the store to pick up some cough drops and I was close so I went in and did a 20 minute inspection/repair and got two hours of  O.T.

Here is the tool of choice today.......oh, and I cut the square tube in half.

This is for 6, I used my silver pencil......the red marker shit on me today.......I makred the portion of the now angle iron to be cut away.

After I finished my cut I had to find the center of the piece for the head stock to mount to.......it needs to be center as the table will have a center line that this will have to match. The entire build will be based off of the center line. I used the 2x4's just a reference point and the reflection of the lazer for the picture.

A hole will be drilled where the lines intersect and the head stock will be mounted at the location. I still need to machine the head and the centering cones.

Here it is on the table with the base plate, which I still need to build.

In case anyone was wondering here are what the four holes in the back of the upright are for.

Changed tools as I ran out of the other.

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2010, 10:07:10 PM »
I cut this plate out and drilled the holes so it could me mounted to any table. I then marked a 3 x 3 square in the center so I could weld the upright in place.

Here is the upright with the plate welded on and ready for mounting.

After I finished the welding I cut the other half of the square tube that will be used for the head stock to mount so that it could mount the same but higher up.

It's job will be to hold a laser pointer that will project a straight line down the center of the table through the neck and the rear axle to ensure the chassis is straight. I mounted a larger laser I have for the picture, I will order a smaller one that will mount to the fixture.

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2010, 10:58:07 PM »
So, have you decided what kind of chassis you're going to build yet?

Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2010, 11:35:01 PM »
So, have you decided what kind of chassis you're going to build yet?

Yep, a tube frame chassis! :-D :-o

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2010, 02:08:59 AM »
I have been really busy lately and have not had much time to work on this project. I have been working on other peoples bikes lately to make some extra cash for this project. I finally sold and shipped my CBR and on Monday I bought a Hayabusa for a commuter. I hope things settle down in the coming weeks so I can make some progress on this project.

Here is the neck that will used.

I did some work for a friend and he gave this harness and practically everything else I will need to wire the new bike. This was huge! My current harness gave me nothing but trouble at the Mojave Mile due to all of the corrosion from the bike being raced at Bonneville.

Offline JimL

« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2010, 10:14:13 PM »
Hey Scott....had the same wire harness experience on an EFI roadster.  I finally mounted the ECM and all the relays in a tupperware box (brought the harnesses in the bottom, then glued/bolted the flap I'd cut).  I could take the lid off to get at stuff and reflash when needed.  That solved all the weird problems for years.

Anyway....I'm going to try wiring my bikes so the harnesses are all "outside", which means I'll be able to pull harnesses and components without having to take apart all the wiring (which means nothing passed through small holes and then large connectors/components added on).  I'm hoping I can do it, in order to make it easier to get the harnesses off for cleanup and service.

See you some time, along the way...
JimL

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2010, 12:25:35 PM »
Put the bike up on the stand. After I tear her down I need to add the center supports to the table to ensure it does not bow during the build process as I need the table to be as flat as possible.

Started tearing her down...........the motors next. Should be real easy with the front wheel out of the way.

Here is the triple tree set-up without my new neck in place.

And here is the new neck my friend made, a perfect fit.

The bearings fit nicely.