Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3266968 times)

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #6540 on: January 01, 2018, 07:40:41 AM »

Happy New Year.............in the machine-shop :cheers:

Hi,

Yeah, well, that is inevitable when you race an "orphan" engine, never imported to your continent . . . . .

The only good news is that I have access to a vertical mill and a lathe, and know how to use both.

:cheers:   and Happy New Year (frozen version)

Icyboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6541 on: January 01, 2018, 08:11:14 AM »

As my buddy Fred Gorke is fond of saying "it's merely a bolt on accessory"

Well, doesn't it have to bolt on first?

In both of the examples here, the mounting bolts (studs, whatever) would not pass through their corresponding mounting holes.    Not exactly what I would term "precision".

If the manufacturer had stated that the part would need to be "fitted for precision alignment to your component", OK then, I would expect to have to perform some "fitting".

I think that it is a bit misleading to advertise a "precision lazer cut part", when in fact: It doesn't fit.    This is probably just my anal retentive engineering nature here, BUT, it has to be one, or the other, in this instance.

This is a common complaint from those who buy low production, specialty parts.

A/  Not as much of a problem for me, as I have tools, machinery, welders, etc, and the ability to use them;
2/  More of a problem for Chris, as he has less tools, etc, and therefore less experience with them;
d/  It is a serious problem for the enthusiast with a kit of wrenches and screwdrivers, and little to no experience.

I also realize that this is exactly the situation where we all learned how to "Hot Rod" and modify parts.   Keep in mind, though, that this is not the case with everybody.    We all know guys like the proverbial Jack Yates, Jr.   His modifications and fabrications don't turn out so well . . . . . .

JMHO

There, I feel much better now Dr. Crane . . . . . . . . :roll:

:dhorse:  :cheers:  :dhorse:  and Happy Frozen New Year

Ilikefrozenmagaritasboy

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6542 on: January 01, 2018, 08:27:05 AM »
midget,

OK,

Happy Frozen New Year!!

It's 2018, unknown number of days till Speed Week:

Piston, Con rod update? ? ? ?

:dhorse: :cheers: :dhorse:

Impatientboy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6543 on: January 01, 2018, 12:02:25 PM »
midget,

OK, spent some time disassembling the starter solenoid to investigate moving the B+ post to the alternate location.    It will need the alternate copper contact (different shape) but I suspect that can be found in a Hitachi starter core, or purchased new from a starter rebuilding co.

Anyway, revised placement of the B+ post really simplifies mounting tucked in close to the block.   It looks promising on offer up, compared to the original configuration.    I think we can just revise the angular location CCW to the max height allowed by the starter cutout in the bellhousing, then rotate the starter on the pinion axis to provide maximum clearance the the K cylinder block and the engine compartment/frame (unibody) rail.

We will still need to "neuter" a couple of mounting bosses of the RH lower side of the block, but the whole operation looks easily achievable.    My die grinder and Aluminum "hogging bit" will travel to T & T next year . . . .

:cheers:
Chipsaflyin'boy

OK, here are the photos to go along with the starter issue:

Showing the 2 positions for the B+ post attachment

Closeup shot with the solenoid plunger removed.   Better visual of the 60 degree mounting differential.

Starting the re-positioning process

With the B+ terminal in the new position, the starter assembly can be mounted closer to the crank centerline, on the original pitch center diameter, ensuring proper engagement of the starter gear teeth with the flywheel ring gear teeth.

Fordboy
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 10:36:47 AM by fordboy628 »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #6544 on: January 01, 2018, 12:56:51 PM »
Thanks for getting these posted up.

I resolved this morning to open a Flickr account, which I just did.  I'll be able to start posting up photos as to the happenings in the Pommy Pigmy Playhouse.

I may go back through the diary and repost some photos that the jackasses at Photofuckit pulled, but it would be weeks trying to recreate the entire thing.

Happy New Year!

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6545 on: January 01, 2018, 03:21:52 PM »

Thanks for getting these posted up.

I resolved this morning to open a Flickr account, which I just did.  I'll be able to start posting up photos as to the happenings in the Pommy Pigmy Playhouse.

I may go back through the diary and repost some photos that the jackasses at Photofuckit pulled, but it would be weeks trying to recreate the entire thing.

Happy New Year!

I not sure Flickr is an easier to use Vs Fbucket, but my stuff sure loads faster and sorts easier.   Anyway, I'm not paying P/B the "ransom".

But, I have decided to leave my P/B account alone and dormant.   Sometimes my photos appear here, and on other sites.  If I delete the account then that stuff goes away.   If P/B wants to delete my material, well, I can't do much about that, but I'm not going to willingly delete them.   I will however, duplicate all my material on P/B on Flickr, sort of as a online backup system.

I'll put more photos, etc, up as I go through the process.

:dhorse:  :dhorse:  :dhorse:
Ihatedoingthingstwiceboy

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #6548 on: January 01, 2018, 04:34:21 PM »
I pasted the chrome-plug into my thread with hundreds of blank photos...........and within a minute or 3 all was good :-)
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6549 on: January 01, 2018, 07:04:53 PM »
I just visited both of them - and apparently neither is working any longer.  Thanks anyway.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #6550 on: January 02, 2018, 12:58:27 AM »
... There are vernier scales (kinda visible) in the top 2 photos of the gears...
Kinda' obviously visible! I guess my eyes aren't any better now than they were in 2017... :-(
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6551 on: January 02, 2018, 07:30:18 AM »
Some photos of the K belt drive:

The big issues are going to be:

A/   Reducing the speed of the water pump, which is currently a 'slight' overdrive.   Pulley diameters large enough for meaningful speed reduction approach cam drive cog diameter . . . . . ;
2/   Incorporating a solid, fixed belt tension adjustment;
d/   Accomplishing both while using a readily available, kevlar reinforced, MTD style drive belt.    Preferably stock length, but ? ? ?

One solution might be to gut the stock water pump, making it into another idler for the timing belt, and using a thermostatically controlled electric water pump, ala BMW.   Creating yet another reason to fit an alternator . . . which is crossing over from "likely" to "mandatory".    The ability of an "unsophisticated" battery powered system to "reliably" power ESC & EFI seems less than prudent, even before adding the additional load of an electric water pump.

We will have to tilt our heads on 1/3/2018 and see if anything clever spills out . . . . .

:cheers:  :dhorse:  :cheers:

Nottooworriedboy
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 10:39:26 AM by fordboy628 »

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6552 on: January 02, 2018, 07:44:32 AM »
... There are vernier scales (kinda visible) in the top 2 photos of the gears...
Kinda' obviously visible! I guess my eyes aren't any better now than they were in 2017... :-(

I hear you Jack.    My eyes aren't what they used to be either.    And I've been wearing specs since I was 6 years old and REALLY looked like Egghead Jr.! ! ! !

Somehow, I thought ageing would be "better" than what it really is.

I can only conclude that I willfully disregarded ALL the obvious signs that were around me:

A/   How my grandparents aged . . . . . .
2/   How my parents aged . . . . . .
d/   And how my brothers chose to live, and the price they paid for their "indulgences" . . . . . .

Ah well, you can only play the hand that you are dealt . . . . . .

Bemusedbymyageing and no longer a boy . . . . . . .

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #6553 on: January 02, 2018, 09:43:05 AM »
As per the stainless steel thread galling, use of dissimilar types of stainless steel for the male and female parts seems to be working for me.  The same thing is done for titanium fasteners for the same reason.  In that case I use structural Ti for the bolt and stainless steel for the nut.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #6554 on: January 02, 2018, 09:46:30 AM »
I've got an e-mail in to Don on the water pump - attachment to the spigot on the back of the pump is my chief concern at the moment.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: