Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3267393 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #4935 on: April 11, 2015, 08:43:55 AM »
Video   VIDEO  record this historical moment!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4936 on: April 11, 2015, 12:02:14 PM »
Great Idea, Sparkly.  If recorded I'd be very happy to post it on the website's archive.  Have a fine day, Chris -- and Mark.  What an honor - and fun, too!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4937 on: April 11, 2015, 08:35:10 PM »
Geez – Video . . .

I’m an audio guy – Nick takes care of the GoPro, and he’s in Boulder.

I am now re-upped with the MG3 Club, the Milwaukee and Great Lakes MG Motor Group. 

http://www.mg3club.org/

When I started this racing project, lo these many years ago, so much of my time was spent working on the car that I let many of my social considerations and affiliations fall to the wayside.  But after today, I vow to never let that happen again.

We wound up with about 2 dozen very interested MG enthusiasts here at the Pommy Pigmy Playhouse.  The donuts were probably better than my talk, but it was our first really decent weekend of spring, which I’m certain helped turnout.

To confirm the group was at the right house, I planted a distinctive flower in the front yard . . .

. . . and with Spring planting, one is assured that the “B”s will arrive . . .

One incredible car of note – one of the members ordered and picked up a 1965 MG Midget . . . IN 1965 . . . picked it up in London – and I don’t mean London, Ontario, I mean London, England.  He still drives it, although not a lot.  It has 46,000 original miles on it, and has not been rebuilt . . .

A stunning, one-owner car with a 50 year history, and it looks factory fresh.

My talk was essentially a truncated and updated powerpoint version of the speech I did for the New England MG-T Register in Bennington, Vermont, two years ago.  About half of it was MG’s record setting history, concentrating on Bonneville and including Pat Kinne’s drive in 2004 in the MG Estate wagon - the other half, a short winded version of this long, torrid thread without the beer references – which brings it down to about an hour.

Fordboy traversed the Cheddar Curtain, and was able to provide cover on a few questions . . .

At the end, Club Tech Director, Jim Maslowski, and Club President, Dave Jefferson, presented me with a very nice congratulatory plaque, for which I was tickled pink.

Tomorrow is Cecil Kimber’s 127th birthday.  Part of the marketing strategy with MG in the early 1930’s was encouraging social networking through a shared passion of inexpensive, fun, sporting automobiles.  As the chief of MG, he also encouraged the competitive end of sports car ownership.  Both of these ideals dovetailed very nicely out in my garage this morning. 

So tonight, I raise an Old Speckled Hen to Cecil.  The plan is still working.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #4938 on: April 11, 2015, 09:09:14 PM »
Sounds like a fun event. Thanks, Chris.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4939 on: April 11, 2015, 10:04:05 PM »
Mmmmm . . . . .

DONUTS . . . . . . .
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #4940 on: April 12, 2015, 12:28:17 AM »
Mmmmmmmmm Speckles.      :cheers: Wayno

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4941 on: April 12, 2015, 08:26:46 AM »
Mmmmmmmmm Speckles.      :cheers: Wayno

Old Speckled Hen is very good, no doubt about that!

But given the season of the year, I'm on a bock/doppel bock consumption arc . . . . . . .
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Fordboy

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4942 on: April 13, 2015, 02:12:20 AM »

Under hood has relays and fuses for ignition, starter, high beam, low beam, fuel pump and radiator fan.  The inside of the firewall are turn signal relays from Painless Wiring - which lives up to their name in everything except price.

Digging through the scrap heap, I came across two pretty cool electronics chassis, both of which I've repurposed, one as a cover for the underhood electronics . . .

You guys have Tupperware over there yeah?...........

Just sayin  :roll: :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4943 on: April 13, 2015, 09:01:49 AM »

Under hood has relays and fuses for ignition, starter, high beam, low beam, fuel pump and radiator fan.  The inside of the firewall are turn signal relays from Painless Wiring - which lives up to their name in everything except price.

Digging through the scrap heap, I came across two pretty cool electronics chassis, both of which I've repurposed, one as a cover for the underhood electronics . . .

You guys have Tupperware over there yeah?...........

Just sayin  :roll: :wink:

I tried sourcing a half dozen plastic banana sheaths, but Grummy seems to have cornered the market on them.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4944 on: April 14, 2015, 01:12:33 AM »
It’s a peculiar conundrum.

The more you do things, the more problem solving skills you develop.

The more problem solving skills you develop, the more confident you become.

The more confident you become, the more you’re willing to take on.

And then you find yourself developing new problem solving skills.

Anyway, I’m at the point with the Pom Rod that I want to get the engine installed so I can determine if I need to perforate the hood in order to accommodate the carb.  I don’t want to do this twice, so before I stick it in the car, I want to assure myself everything is up to spec.  And Terry, I’m not questioning your ability to put together an engine – it’s just that it has sat for a few years, and I wanted to be assured the open valves hadn’t let any squirrel waste into the combustion chambers.  I’ve been burnt a few times by assuming things, so I decided to take the heads off.

And I’m glad I looked . . .

Meah, no big deal – clean ‘em out.  By the way, the machine work looks really good on the bores, and all of the mains and rod bolts were torqued to spec . . . Midget approved.  :cheers:

Putting the heads back on, I got the left bank on with no concerns, but as I approached the 55 lb spec on the 2 bolt on the right bank, it went soft.  So now I’ve got to do some sort of insert to finish the project.

Meah . . . better on this than on the K.  

Did I mention I'm getting tired of developing problem solving skills?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:37:56 AM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4945 on: April 14, 2015, 10:54:55 AM »

Putting the heads back on, I got the left bank on with no concerns, but as I approached the 55 lb spec on the 2 bolt on the right bank, it went soft.  So now I’ve got to do some sort of insert to finish the project.

Meah . . . better on this than on the K.  

Did I mention I'm getting tired of developing problem solving skills?

Squirrels . . . . . . . .  just rats with better tails   :roll:      If they continue to be a problem, I'll load up Cosmo and smuggle him across the cheddar curtain.   He will make quick work of any rodents that make the mistake of using your abode for their domicile.   You will need to keep the cats inside though . . . . .  to protect Cosmo . . . . . .

I have a complete set of UNC, UNF and metric Heli-coil sets.    Let me know which one you need to borrow.   You might need to buy a longer length insert though, to take the head bolt torque.   Or use 2 std length inserts.     You will need to check the depth of the hole.

Haven't got Cosmo trained up on installing Heli-coils yet though . . . . . . .
 :cheers:
Fordboy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4946 on: April 14, 2015, 11:05:58 AM »

Valve sizes and proportions are: SO 60's GM . . . . . . .

Glad you are not racing it.    Perfect reason for a blower/turbo . . . . . .

Although . . . . .   it DOES have 5 head bolts per cylinder Vs 3 . . . . .
Fordboy

Offline Podunk

« Reply #4947 on: April 14, 2015, 07:11:34 PM »
Smart move Chris. I was hoping you would pull the heads. It has been 35 years! Can't tell you how good it feels to see a friend getting it on the road.

Terry

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4948 on: April 14, 2015, 08:33:18 PM »

Glad you are not racing it.    Perfect reason for a blower/turbo . . . . . .

Although . . . . .   it DOES have 5 head bolts per cylinder Vs 3 . . . . .
Fordboy

The turbocharged Olds version has 4 additional bolts.

Probably heat sinks . . .

Smart move Chris. I was hoping you would pull the heads. It has been 35 years! Can't tell you how good it feels to see a friend getting it on the road.

Terry

I'll flip you the keys when I get it to Wendover, but on the new shop . . . make SURE the soffits leave no squirrel access!

I also took the lifters out, filled 'em with oil and back primed the block a little bit.  With the remote filter, I should be able to give it a solid oil prime before I turn it over.

35 years this thing's been sitting assembled???  You did a really good job on oiling up the bores.  No corrosion whatsoever.

I'll pull the front cover this week and double check the timing - yeah, I'm getting that anal retentive.

Remind me not to overtighten the cover . . .  :|

Offline Podunk

« Reply #4949 on: April 14, 2015, 08:47:08 PM »
Remember what I said about degreeing the cam.