Author Topic: Nose job  (Read 47327 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Nose job
« on: March 08, 2008, 05:56:44 PM »
Last pic of the car with the old nose:

Me with Sawsall

Almost off

Pop with nose off car

Next week I will have a roller.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
Re: Nose job
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 06:19:10 PM »
JH, you look like you're havin too much fun with that sawzall... :evil:

Look forward to seeing the rest of your work... :-D
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline Geo

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 07:19:27 PM »
Jonny,

Which end are you keeping?

Speaking of keeping... keep your friend away from my car!

Geo

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 08:59:41 PM »
Here is the result of last weekend.
I had a lesson in fish-mouthing bar ends (first time)....I had to hand shape them with an angle grinder, and this sucks....way to much work. I will be buying a pipe notcher in the future. I tacked some plate casters on the front so I could have a roller so its a bit nose pitched up.
I have a few more bars installed sense this pic was taken, and have some lateral support bars to go, but this is the basic idea. I need to finish welding up the pieces.....no rest for me.

In this pic you can see the basic placement of the wheels @ 27" spread and 130" base.

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia

landracing

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 09:02:55 PM »
What's with the residual on the weld spots??? is that some type of oxidation from a dirty metal?

Mig or tig??

Jon

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 09:12:20 PM »
It almost appears to be zinc. If so the metal is electrical conduit and not up to the task. Please check. If the deposit is a soft white and there appeared to be almost a film of white coming off it's zinc plating. It will contaminate the weld and can make a person feel rather flu like.

As for prepping the tubing, if you make two cuts at say 45 degrees so you form a point, then rotate the tube 90 degrees you will see that its almost prepped. Play with the angles and don't cut quite to the center and the grinding will become minimal.

Pete

Offline Mugs914

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 06:01:40 AM »
I doubt this is new to anyone, but I use a hole saw set up in the vert mill to notch tubes. Its easy to set up any angle or offset and if you're really careful (lucky) there is no grinding at all. 8-)

Of course if you don't have a mill handy this is pretty useless info, I suppose... :oops:

Cheers,

Mike
Cheers,

Mike Mulligan

Mulligan Racing Development
Vista, Ca.
Mugsxr4@pacbell.net

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 03:47:26 PM »
How's all that tubing attached to the rest of the car?  It's a unibody, right?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 06:50:12 PM »
The deposits you see are because I am using a flux core mig wire without shielding gas, it does the same thing on all steel I weld with it. The welds look fairly decent up close, I will post a pic soon and can assure you that it is not conduit; it is 1.5X .95 mild.

The car is a unibody-frame hybrid. I have huge support bars (2x4x1/4") integrated into the frame tunnels, they are also a mount for the primary hoop of the cage, connect to a cradle that supports the engine, and where the tubes of the nose attach under the car. The top of the nose section was integrated into a section of the roll cage but will have additionally pieces added soon.

*Andres Segovia

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 07:16:11 PM »
close up pic of welds using flux core wire (cleaned up)
They are ugly but I have never claimed to be a good welder!

*Andres Segovia

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 08:08:22 PM »
I decided that I would try shielding gas; I have always tried to avoid gas because I need portability for occasional work projects.....lets say I had some advice!

The guy at the welding shop sold me a tank (75X25 argon-Co2) and a spool. Needless to say I now kick myself in the azz....makes a huge difference!

I now get it....all the problems I had with inconsistant performance have been answered!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 08:15:11 PM by Jonny Hotnuts »

*Andres Segovia

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 09:20:11 PM »
Jonny:

Your welds look good up close. The thing you'll notice with the gas mix is how much cleaner your welds are with a lot less spatter. Keep up the good work.

I don't regret mentioning galvanized material as it may save someone else. I've never suffered the results but I have talked to others who have and I guess "zinc chills" are no fun.

Pete

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 11:12:15 PM »
     FWIW, over thirty years ago I halved an old galvanized hot water tank with a cutting torch for a neighbor who wanted a couple of troughs for his pigs to feed from.  Had heard stories of messing with galvanized so did it outside the shop door staying on the windward side with a gentle breeze blowing.  Still wound up with a severe headache that lasted beyond the following day.  Have been super cautious with a torch [or arc welder] around galvanized and haven't cut any since.

Zinc might be benificial in other forms but is BAD stuff to breath when burned.  A subject well worth bringing up Pete.

Jonny:  I'm no expert but I've seen a lot of worse looking welds over the years.  Keep the questions and build pictures coming, a lot of us lurkers out here learning from both.

Ed Purinton

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 07:28:37 PM »
THE NEW MOTOR IS HERE!!!!!!
(not really anything to do with the nose but.......)

1507cc
APE Billet crank 5mm (APE)
Carillo H beam rods
Millenium cylinder +30
Wiseco high comp pistons
Ward big valve head
445/443 Megacycle cams
Koenig billet pan
High volume oil pump
S2K injectors
1mm bigger T.B.s
APE Billet Clutch Basket
Billet starter gear
Billet output shaft
and a number of other stuff.......

The motor made 252 hp on bike on race gas. Funny thing is when I got into LSR I opted for small bore motors to save money. Lets just say for what I have in this motor I could of had one hell of a BB! 

*Andres Segovia

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 08:00:32 PM »
Results of Saturday 22nd:

X in the bottom

Plate aluminum

Tank R&R

More stuff to go, waiting on steering shaft placement before mounting the water tank, pumps and regs..

I also milled the axle shaft but left it at my pops so no pics.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 08:02:06 PM by Jonny Hotnuts »

*Andres Segovia