Author Topic: Midwest Lakester Build !!  (Read 49380 times)

Offline 17dracing

Re: Midwest Lakester Build !!
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 04:00:30 PM »
Quick update  !!! Body is now painted ,will have pix posted soon !!!  Few parts to finish welding on the chassis and it to will be ready for paint !!! Then the fun begins !!!! Putting it all back together !!!   Thanks for everyones support on landracing.com   !!!!

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 07:19:50 PM »
Looking good 17. Hey Rex, I used Aircraft Windshield in Los Alamitos. They formed my screen from PETG. It basically has the properties of Lexan but is optically better. Wayno

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 08:56:10 PM »
If you set a pace at Bonneville that even comes close to the speed that you're putting this car together, you're going to walk away with hats and hardware.

I see your work ethic, and I am ashamed of myself!

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 02:54:39 AM »
If you set a pace at Bonneville that even comes close to the speed that you're putting this car together, you're going to walk away with hats and hardware.
I see your work ethic, and I am ashamed of myself!

he's not of this earth , he was sent here to shame us....... I think there's a gonna have to be a "Witchin'".......maybe a dunking chair .

Good work 17 you're an inspiration to us all. :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline 17dracing

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 04:16:04 PM »
Quit it you guys !!! Your going to jinx us !!! Well I learned everything I do from my Pops !! He used to build pro street cars in about 3 weeks from pretty much scratch , to have them ready for a car show that would be coming up SOON !!! Don't let the few months fool you !!  I have a ton of hours in this car , just ask my wife and kids !!! I think they are still here somewhere  !!!!  I do need a little help though ? What gears should we take along ?   5500 rpm's max with a 32" tall tire !!! We are running a 9" ford , just to stay away from the 10 or 15% hp. loss from a quick change . We are going to start out with a 260 ratio . And we will be taking a few other pigs just in case my head is not on right !!!  My motto is " TO GET SOMETHING DONE YOU MUST FIRST DO SOMETHING !!! "

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 07:07:15 PM »
I do need a little help though ? What gears should we take along ?   5500 rpm's max with a 32" tall tire !!! We are running a 9" ford , just to stay away from the 10 or 15% hp. loss from a quick change . We are going to start out with a 260 ratio .

Go to Sumner's site, here's the link

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/bville-spreadsheet-index.html

He's got a pile of spreadsheets that you can punch your numbers into, and it will give you a really good idea exactly what you're going to have to have in order to be competitive.

He requests that you send him a dollar for the sheets - it will be the single most cost effective investment you will spend on this sport.

On top of that, his lakester build diary is a fascinating read.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2008, 07:17:40 PM »
he's not of this earth , he was sent here to shame us....... I think there's a gonna have to be a "Witchin'".......maybe a dunking chair .

"Who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?"

But if he floats like a duck, that means he's made of wood, and then we have to burn him at the stake. 

Sorry, Doc, I can't set fire to a fellow Midwesterner!

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2008, 09:39:49 PM »
....that gearing looks like about 35mph per 1000rpm ....... you could probably use a shorter diff early on until you really want to push things along .
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline 17dracing

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2008, 01:28:38 AM »
Ok as promised I have some pix. of the body !!!  It is now almost 2:00 am and we are done for the night !!!( Back to where I said we have tons of hours in this build ) Well here are some pix.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2008, 10:22:35 AM »
Elvis Cadillac Pink and Banana Yellow - you won't lose THAT one in the parking lot!  Very nice!

Back to the drive train, and specifically the transmission.  What tranny and gearset are you running? 

Offline 17dracing

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2008, 01:09:30 PM »
Tranny is a 3 spd. out of a 1955 chevy truck ! Super short ,fits great !We are going to use 2nd and 3rd gear only .Using Hyd. clutch . Not sure what gears are in it yet ! But we will find out and change them if needed, soon as we get our motor done! Waiting on our dome pistons to get here !!

Offline 17dracing

« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2008, 10:42:21 PM »
Well it's back on the ground !! Working on some small stuff now !!! The car is not really pink ,it is redish orange and a deep yellow . We had way to much lighting on it in the last pix. Have to run to the speed shop tommorow to get more goodies !!!! But here is another pix to check out !!!

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2008, 10:54:32 PM »
Well it's back on the ground !! Working on some small stuff now !!! The car is not really pink ,it is redish orange and a deep yellow . We had way to much lighting on it in the last pix. Have to run to the speed shop tommorow to get more goodies !!!! But here is another pix to check out !!!

phew....I didn't want to say anything , I mean people's reason's for choosing colors can be , shall we say "complex" , and I'll be the first person the say that yellow things look good on the salt.......but that "pink" had me worried.....

It looks great , you've done well and I'm sure I ain't the only one to say I'm eagerly waiting to see the results on the track........

Offline 17dracing

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2008, 11:37:51 AM »
Yes ,we are not pink lovers here at all !!! This car has been a blast to build !!! We are ready to get it running though !!! I have a tube chassis 1970 Monte Carlo drag car to build still ,and I just bought me a 1979 Malibu to go drag racing with this year !! Oh yeah, I haven't even started on it yet !!! I would love to have the lakester running by Maxton mile in April !!!  "It's the little things that eat the time on my watch " !!!

Offline 17dracing

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2008, 11:43:11 AM »
Our view looking out !!!  Like looking through glass !!! No distortion at all !!! Some times I just get lucky !!!!!