Author Topic: "The Body" as sketched by Rex................  (Read 13790 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
"The Body" as sketched by Rex................
« on: January 09, 2008, 11:53:40 AM »
Rex took the time to sketch the body for my lakester and got it pretty close to what I what to do.

Above is Rex's first sketch.  Follow the link....................

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar-2/construction%20page-88.html

..................... and you will see his second one and one that I modified to get as close to what I'm trying to do as possible along with written thoughts on the whole thing.

Rex's thanks for taking the time to do these sketches as it has been hard for me to convey what the car will look like even to people who are standing right in front of it.

c ya,

Sum   

Offline Bville701

Re: "The Body" as sketched by Rex................
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 09:18:30 PM »
Lookin good Sum. Looks somewhat similar to Hammonds lakester which has had lots of success. Keep the photos/sketches coming.
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline willieworld

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 09:40:43 PM »
sum  are the panels on the car flat or is it the drawing --i like the idea easier to build    willie  buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 09:43:13 PM »
SUM---that is going to be a #1 bitchin Ride :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 09:58:50 PM »
Nice work Rex, looks like you've designed some '70s Indy Car side pod airfoils (BAD aspect ratio! -  LOL) into the Sumster.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 11:37:25 PM »
Lookin good Sum. Looks somewhat similar to Hammonds lakester which has had lots of success. Keep the photos/sketches coming.

I decided to go with the wide wheel base and everything inside the body and the body not close to the ground from the Hammond influence.  I'll be up front in the car and not out back, but that was one special car and had LOTS of success.

sum  are the panels on the car flat or is it the drawing --i like the idea easier to build    willie  buchta

Willie the picture above they are mostly flat.  Did you go to the link and see the other two sketches??  I'm hoping for no flat panes except for the top and bottom sides of the side pods.  If you follow the link on the post I explain all of that and why I want curves everywhere if possible.

c ya,

Sum

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 10:11:32 AM »
Curves are only necessary on the corners and top behind the driver, flat it good  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 10:17:08 AM »
Curves are only necessary on the corners and top behind the driver, flat it good  :-D

Hey do I see "tail feathers" on that car now??  Have your front tires always been that far out??

Flat would certainly be easier, not far easier, but easier,

Sum

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 10:38:35 AM »
Old picture, but fin is going back on, wheel spacing same since 1984.
fin on blue line
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 11:30:14 AM »
Met #2 in  SA just before Chrismas--look forward to meeting #1

when I was down picking up my new tank---Allan of Alamo Aircraft did not know what it came off of.   33" x 22'  definitely sub sonic. 
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 01:34:04 PM »
O/T, but...

Re: Bock's Car, haven't you caught any flack for the name?

Offline willieworld

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 02:11:08 PM »
hey guys  im thinking of building a streamline sidecar for bonneville 08 was just wondering after seeing drawings of sumners car --i like the looks of the square edge flat panel body as opposed to the round edge round body --what would it cost in aero. to do the square corner flat panel body -- any info will be helpful ----------------------- thanks  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 07:34:55 PM »
Sum, looks great.

I am having some problems in my head with sorting out how the searing will work. It looks to me that the inside of the back half of the front tires will contact the body with steering...unless the wheel is set out enough from the bodywork to prevent contact. You could have a slight "figure 8" look to the sides that will allow clearance.

hey guys  im thinking of building a streamline sidecar for bonneville 08 was just wondering after seeing drawings of sumners car --i like the looks of the square edge flat panel body as opposed to the round edge round body --what would it cost in aero. to do the square corner flat panel body -- any info will be helpful ----------------------- thanks  willie buchta

The square sides shouldn’t make much difference as long as the air is directed over the square or round body without separation the boundary layer. Meaning that a square tube will flow the same as a round tube as long as its respective nose sections can efficiently direct the air over them without disruptions.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 07:36:47 PM by Jonny Hotnuts »
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 12:02:20 AM »
Sum, looks great.

I am having some problems in my head with sorting out how the searing will work. It looks to me that the inside of the back half of the front tires will contact the body with steering...unless the wheel is set out enough from the bodywork to prevent contact. You could have a slight "figure 8" look to the sides that will allow clearance...........

The wheels/tires will be a little wider than the body and I might possibly have to put the small indents you are talking about.  One thing is I have very little turn angle.  If I remember right it might be as small as 7 degrees.  I'll have to run course 2 since it probably won't turn sharp enough to make the turn to course 1  :-o.

c ya,

Sum

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 12:30:39 AM »
Rex took the time to sketch the body for my lakester and got it pretty close to what I what to do.

Above is Rex's first sketch.  Follow the link....................

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar-2/construction%20page-88.html

..................... and you will see his second one and one that I modified to get as close to what I'm trying to do as possible along with written thoughts on the whole thing.

Rex's thanks for taking the time to do these sketches as it has been hard for me to convey what the car will look like even to people who are standing right in front of it.
c ya,Sum

Sum and Rex
do you think that the air intake there just behind the canopy might be in quite turbulent flow and have an unpredictable yield?....

oops , I just checked out your site and the altered versions there and the elevated scoop you have sketched.....however ....Is there a case for maybe ducting air from the leading edge of the side pods where the pressure would be quite high? Hit me.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.