Landracing Forum Home
November 20, 2017, 11:07:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:
BACK TO LANDRACING.COM HOMEPAGE

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

(Note: Donations are not tax deductible)

Live Audio Streaming and Archives of Past Events
Next Live Event: TBD
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seat, belts and head restraint..................  (Read 8538 times)
Rocky R

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 11:20:48 AM »

Kent,

Our harness keeps me in pretty tight with very little movement. I think one possibility as to why my neck was stiff/sore afterwards had to do with the canopy ripping away from the body. As soon as it did, I remember trying to "tuck in". I gripped the controls with everything I had, worried about my arms dangling outside, and also tried to tuck my head so as not to hit the top of the roll cage when it went upside down. Don't know if I would have actually hit it or not, it was more just acting on instinct.

Sumner
Global Moderator

Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 11:46:43 AM »

Kent,

Our harness keeps me in pretty tight with very little movement. I think one possibility as to why my neck was stiff/sore afterwards had to do with the canopy ripping away from the body. As soon as it did, I remember trying to "tuck in". I gripped the controls with everything I had, worried about my arms dangling outside, and also tried to tuck my head so as not to hit the top of the roll cage when it went upside down. Don't know if I would have actually hit it or not, it was more just acting on instinct.

I can't imagine not being sore at least somewhere after a crash like that.  Maybe Kent has some built-in padding you don't have  evil or engaged his on board compressed air attached to the hose that goes..............well we won't go there.

Thanks for the encouragement on the build Rocky,

Sum

Sumner
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 11:58:05 AM »

Sum,
Feel free to post my sketches.......................Rex

I posted them under a new topic .............................

"The Body" as sketched by Rex" in the build section also:

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,3408.0.html

........................  thanks Rex, you got pretty close to where I want to go with the body,

Sum

1212FBGS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 08:53:14 PM »

hey hey now...thats ballast not padding... I add ballast one bite at a time.....
kent
SPARKY
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008, 09:51:43 PM »

I sure like what the 7th belt does...

Miss LIBERTY,  changing TKI  to noise, dust and RUST!!!

The # 1 issue is: TO KEEP THE REPUBLIC      
   Center for Self Governance            tncsg.org     mrspowell.org

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller
interested bystander

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2008, 09:56:23 PM »

Apparently NHRA likes the 7th belt also, after Force's debacle, as I believe they are now required at the digs from TAFC up.

5 mph in pit area (clothed)
Stainless1
Administrator

Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele Wichita, Kansas

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2008, 11:19:26 PM »

Sum, I can't tell from the pictures, where you are installing the 1 7/8 inch trailer hitchball for your backup restraint system...  shocked  grin

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, MSA Bockscar Lakester with a little N20 
MSA Bockscar Lakester #1000 my fastest mile 245 and change, 84 ci turbobusa motor... but Corey's 233 MPH H/BFL record is still 3MPH faster than mine.
Sumner
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2008, 11:44:44 PM »

Sum, I can't tell from the pictures, where you are installing the 1 7/8 inch trailer hitchball for your backup restraint system...  shocked  grin

Everything I have uses a 2 inch ball  tongue

And here I thought you were posting to give me the dates you would be over here to help me get the motor up and running.  Seriously I do have a couple questions if I could call you sometime.  No speed secrets just some general get it running types.  Don't forget you want me to do something with that "soft record" before you put it out of reach  cry .

c ya,

Sum

JackD

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 12:00:04 AM »

Apparently NHRA likes the 7th belt also, after Force's debacle, as I believe they are now required at the digs from TAFC up.
[/quote
The 7th belt, that is designed to tension against the shoulder straps,
 and keep the harness from rolling up and allowing your lid to compress your neck in an upset, was first used in the car that Kent went on his head with.
Subsequent to that , the SCTA rule was modified for certain seating positions.
NHRA is following SCTA again. wink

"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"
interested bystander

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2008, 12:22:09 AM »

Hate to correct the post by JACKD, but NHRA is recognizing the SIXTH  and SEVENTH belts.  FIVE point is what's been required. I've seen a couple of examples  of the 7 point hat aren't too cool. Dennis Taylor in So Cal sells the best lash-up IMHOP.

5 mph in pit area (clothed)
JackD

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2008, 12:45:50 AM »

They all must be SFI approved and tested before they can be sold, and are manufactured to the same specification.
A search around here will suggest the value if the 6 point harness,
and prior to that, it was popular to put a small bulkhead feature in the base of the seat to keep you from going forward (tunneling), but that put a great deal of pressure on the base of your spine that was not a good idea.
If you ever crashed hard against a single crotch strap, the future of you functionality would be in jeopardy.
 The 7th point originated with a Bonneville car, and the SCTA rule reflects the requirements.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 12:56:05 AM by JackD » Logged

"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
1212FBGS

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2008, 01:34:24 AM »

When i first started racing the car the SCTA tech guys didnt like my harness system.. there was a big scuttle about it amongst all the tech guys when i first showed up. they actually wrote in my log book that "I had an unconventional harness and they didnt recommend it?" but figured it looked safer so they let me race it.  Then we rolled in aug the tech guys impounded my log book... i forgot who it was, but later a SCTA inspector came over and asked "did they really write in your log book that they didnt like your belt system?" I would like to thank Jack Dolan for designing it and Auto Power for building it... It did its job and saved my life... oh and I didnt even get a scratch
love ya jack and wheres my 5 bucks
kent
JackD

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2008, 05:25:03 AM »

Ya, and you ain't gonna get any of my scratch either !
I would rather owe it to you than beat you out of it. wink

Stainless1
Administrator

Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele Wichita, Kansas

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2008, 09:16:42 AM »

Sum, I'll PM you my number, speed secrets  huh wish I had some, but I'll tell you everything I know  undecided

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, MSA Bockscar Lakester with a little N20 
MSA Bockscar Lakester #1000 my fastest mile 245 and change, 84 ci turbobusa motor... but Corey's 233 MPH H/BFL record is still 3MPH faster than mine.
Sumner
Global Moderator

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2008, 10:24:01 AM »

Sum, I'll PM you my number, speed secrets  huh wish I had some, but I'll tell you everything I know  undecided

I got the number, thanks, I'll call,

Sum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: