Author Topic: Seat, belts and head restraint..................  (Read 17451 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Seat, belts and head restraint..................
« on: January 07, 2008, 12:29:20 AM »

Finished the seat.............................

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar-2/construction%20page-85.html   

.................got the belts installed..................

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar-2/construction%20page-86.html 

...............and made some lateral head restraints..............

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar-2/construction%20page-87.html     

........................................It's been a good week,

Sum

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: Seat, belts and head restraint..................
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 01:19:38 AM »
Damn lucky you're skinny Sum!! Looking good! Keep at it.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 01:28:50 AM »
Sum, you vehicle looks very nice.  Keep up the good work, and the pictures coming.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 10:26:08 AM »
Damn lucky you're skinny Sum!! Looking good! Keep at it.

Rex

Hey the car is almost 4 foot wide almost anybody can fit into that  :-).  I got your drawings, did you get my return e-mail.  I got what appeared to be an automatic return from you saying you were on vacation.  What's the deal with that???  Save the vacation days so you can retire earlier and get to work on your lakester.

I'll post your drawings on my site and here if it is ok with you.  Let me know and do you by any chance have them in jpeg format I'm not sure I can deal with the pfd you sent them in.  They are good and pretty close to where I'm trying to go with the car.

c ya,

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 06:15:29 PM »
I think the head restraint distance is ok, but the size isn't. When you look at a crash impact you don't have much padding between you and a hard surface. The contact surface is very small. And the forces are very great.

If you look at what John Force racing implemented after Eric Medlen's accident it's obvious that the surface area was greatly expanded. Look at the crush distance between this photo and yours.

Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 07:16:43 PM »
sum I think for what were doing your restraint are good... we want to keep the distance the head moves and decelerates to a minimum... when the brain moves and crashes inside the skull, damage occurs...but you don’t want the helmet to touch the hard padding cuz your vision will blur when you run off course on to the crunchies

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 11:03:39 PM »
sum I think for what were doing your restraint are good... we want to keep the distance the head moves and decelerates to a minimum... when the brain moves and crashes inside the skull, damage occurs...but you don’t want the helmet to touch the hard padding cuz your vision will blur when you run off course on to the crunchies

I'm trying to keep the distance to a minimum without touching for the reason you mentioned.

Thanks for the input Dean.  I should be closer to the sides then what Force is in this picture.  I like the ISP pads, but wanted this to be adjustable for different helmet sizes and drivers (I'm sure Kent will want to get in the car sooner or later  8-) ).  I think it will be way better than the SCTA minimums that allow 2 inches and your head could accelerate to a higher speed before impact in 2 inches vs. 1/4 to 3/8 inch before impact.  Almost every car on the salt has the padding I'm using on their cages/roll bars that they can hit.  Doesn't make that the best though and the ISP padding might be in my future.  I guess everything is a compromise.

c ya,

Sum

Offline rustyT

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 11:58:30 PM »
Sum.
After looking back on these pictures,I thought it was tight in that thing when I got in there without the seat,Im thinking we may have to widen it a little,ok, alot  :-D The new additions since I was there last looks awesome,keep working,Im going to try to get back over this weekend,hopefully it will quite snowing so I can make good time. Oh ya,good news,I found out my license is back up too 8 points,only four more and she will be good as new :evil: Talk to you soon.
                                                 Phil.

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 01:46:05 AM »
Let  Landspeed racers NOT be influenced by the work on Force's cars after the tragic Medlin happening. The system that many LSR racers have used since the Mickey Thompson  (if not before)  days- keeping the driver/rider's head confined in CLOSE proximity to the cage - with appropriate padding, of course - I FIRMLY believe is more appropriate than what Force's advisors have done- they are trying to somehow make the brain survive the estimated 45 cycles(hertz) per second vibration that ocurred with the tire puncture that caused the tragedy.

A pretty unlikely ocurrence with landspeed racing.

Also unlikely is that any kind of head containment can assure survivability in a situation like Medlin's. (He wasn't the first- only the highest profile).
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Rocky R

• Author/Land Speed Racing Site
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 11:21:38 AM »
Sum,

Chassis is looking great. Love all the detail and pictures... Mike added additional padding to the cockpit of the Ack Attack in 07. When I got in it for the first time, it fit so snug I couldn't move my head freely and felt too confined. He removed and reshaped the inserts till there was just enough wiggle room where I could isolate my helmet away from the padding, but still had only minimal head movement.

I'm so glad he added the additional padding. In our crash we tumbled twice with the hatched ripped off before I hit the salt. In the days to follow I still had a sore/stiff neck. I could only imagine what it would have been like had there been more room for accelerated impact.

Keep up the good work.

Rocky

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 11:37:43 PM »
Sum,
Feel free to post my sketches, I am not sure if I can make them Jpg, I'll try.

Took several weeks of over Christmas/New Years so company want me to put out the "not in office" message. Did get all of the wiring except the injection ECU wiring done on my roadster. Tested it and didn't even make smoke!! I have started doing some prelim. design work on the lakester, once I get into full speed on it, probably late this year I'll probably start a build diary to show progress. If it goes like my roadster it could be a long one. Plan to do some fairly detailed drawings for a start and because I am a "pre-CAD" engineer they will be in my standard "pencil CAD"!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 12:44:00 AM »
Sum,
Feel free to post my sketches, I am not sure if I can make them Jpg, I'll try...........................................Rex

I got them converted to jpeg.  I'll try and post them Wed.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you have in mind for your lakester and seeing the roadster in person,

Sum

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 04:25:24 AM »
rocky
Why was your neck sore? I have seen cages where the head is pretty limited for movement but they lacked sholder and upper body restraint so when you take a multiple g impact and the body moves but the head stayed in place you can elongate the neck and sustain injuries. The sholders need to be tight... ive seen door slammers where the belts are mounted high and tight on the racers neck so when he slams into the wall the funky ass Kirkey seat moves with the body and the belts practicly cut the drivers neck off...cool stuff....Sum your doin right with a tight cage, and it will get tighter with your suite on... if it still isnt tight enough you can have someone stick a air hose up your butt and blow you up till it is.... just fart when ya want out... hey dont laugh, it works for me.!...217mph crash in the bike liner and then my 293 crash in the car and no scratches or bruses....why do ya think i put in that on board air compressor....ok i'll stop now..
kent

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 06:59:02 AM »
Part of the problem for the lay down crasher is the straight, point to point belts that try to hold a curved bod to the seat that was shaped so carefully.
Another strap across the chest, from arm pit to arm pit, and a suitable release in the center, will hold you, and your delicate mass (that is different from your ass) firmly in the shape of your seating protection.
All the consideration for head protection (Hans device for example and progressive foam) is good, but if the rest of your back is broken, you will not do very well. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 10:26:39 AM »
Part of the problem for the lay down crasher is the straight, point to point belts that try to hold a curved bod to the seat that was shaped so carefully.
Another strap across the chest, from arm pit to arm pit, and a suitable release in the center, will hold you, and your delicate mass (that is different from your ass) firmly in the shape of your seating protection.
All the consideration for head protection (Hans device for example and progressive foam) is good, but if the rest of your back is broken, you will not do very well. :wink:

Jack I considered the other chest strap, but at least in my case don't feel it is necessary.  The 7th belt that goes forward in the car seems to hold the whole belt assembly very tight and I'm not able now to move in any direction more than a 1/2 inch of so if that.  I won't put it out of mind though,

Sum