Author Topic: 6 more pages of progress..................  (Read 10200 times)

Offline Bville701

Re: 6 more pages of progress..................
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 11:17:25 PM »
Sum,

Car's lookin' great! Can you please explain to me a little more about your front suspension? I was trying to figure out a way to do this for my project but didn't know how to go about it. How does it work?
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 12:50:48 AM »
Sum,

Car's lookin' great! Can you please explain to me a little more about your front suspension? I was trying to figure out a way to do this for my project but didn't know how to go about it. How does it work?

First we don't know if this suspension works yet as there are no springs in it and the car hasn't touched the ground yet.  Now how will it hopefully work??  The front and rear work on the same principal and very similar to how torsion bars work on come circle track cars.  At the end of axle is a bolt that the end of a lever arm sits on (lower right arrow).  That arm is attached to a round tube that is supported on both ends with bearings mounted onto the front cross member (bottom left arrow).  On the inboard end of the round tube is another lever arm (longer) that is vertical (third arrow to left on bottom).  That lever arm has two sets of holes going up it.  On the right side there is a spring bucket.  On the left side of the lever arm is a shock (top left arrow and missing in the picture).  The spring bucket on the right side (top right arrow) is hooked back through the middle of the spring to the lever arm. The left end of the spring bucket is attached to the frame (top right arrow).  When the axle goes up (hits a bump) the outer lever arm goes up.  That makes the inner lever arm move towards the front of the car and pulls on the far end of the spring collapsing it.  That also compresses the shock on the other side of the lever arm.

Clear as mud???  Did you look at all the pages for the rear and front suspension??  Any more questions??

c ya,

Sum 

Offline Bville701

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 09:23:20 PM »
Yeah I saw the other pages. It sounds like a good idea! I would love to see it work! Are you going to be at Speedweek this year with that car?
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2008, 11:01:56 PM »
Yeah I saw the other pages. It sounds like a good idea! I would love to see it work! Are you going to be at Speedweek this year with that car?

I sure hope to and if for some reason the car isn't ready to run I would probably have it there to run through tech.

c ya there,

Sum