Author Topic: Yet Another Blast! Project - 600cc M-PBG  (Read 21482 times)

Offline frogpirate

• Ken Morton Vancouver, WA, USA
Yet Another Blast! Project - 600cc M-PBG
« on: December 21, 2007, 12:49:25 PM »
Well, I finally scored a 'donor' bike so I can start building our LSR Bike. Class will be 600cc M-PBG to start with, then we may move on to MPS-, A- , APS- over the next few years, hopefully using the same motor. The plan is to add fuel injection utilizing a MegaSquirt ECM, possibly a Buell XB Throttle body, and various GM sensors, then to add a turbo, and finally to stretch the rear swingarm about 5" (keeping it to class allowence of 10%).

As you can see, it is a relativly stock '01 Buell Blast, complete with VERY LOUD bodged exhaust, and genuine Buell touring screen. I'm thinking that screen is going to have to go!

Yeah, it's LOUD. At least that's what my wife said when I fired it up in the garage after getting it home last night! I'm going to look for a stock pipe to put on so I can ride it while we are sorting out the EFI.

If the Blast doesn't work out, I can always steal my wife's EX250. Right Jon? :-)

More to come as we make progress. I hope to be able to make BUB in '08.

Ken
OBScene Racing
"On the other hand, with a single thumper, run it till the valves float, then SHIFT." Dean Los Angles

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Re: Yet Another Blast! Project - 600cc M-PBG
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 01:16:09 PM »
ummm Ken... if you use the spell check function you will see the correct spelling is "be-last"...LOL
kent

Offline willieworld

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 02:13:04 PM »
frog nice bike  --that is B-LAST --i have some xb9 injection parts --let me know if you need anything  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline frogpirate

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 06:33:07 PM »
Hoho, Kent you are a card!

Willie - thanks. Do you happen to have a throttle body you'd part with?

I just took it for a spin around the block - boy is it LOUD. The kids at the local grade school liked it though.  :evil:
"On the other hand, with a single thumper, run it till the valves float, then SHIFT." Dean Los Angles

Offline willieworld

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 07:25:20 PM »
yea i have a unit from a 03 xb9  you are welcome to it willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 07:30:12 PM »
I always thought Kent was a large rodent with big balls
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 07:39:22 PM »
Hurray for Ken!

Many people dream of doing a project.
Many people say they are going to do a project…..with good intentions but for what ever reason it doesn’t happen.

But few actually do it.
I had a feeling that you were not just a talker.
Welcome to the club.
Great looking donor.

BTW:
Get prepared to kiss your wallet goodbye!

-JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 08:15:52 PM »
Hey I resemble that!
Kent

landracing

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 08:29:47 PM »
If you are looking for a better ECU then Megasquirt, I have a Haltech E11V2, box just came back from Haltech, and is in perfect working order.
Lots of data logging, lots of inputs and outputs, Fuel and Ignition control....
PM me Ill give you a great price on it, ready to ship.

Jon

Offline willieworld

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 11:50:14 PM »
ok where is that update or you haveing to much fun riding --we took sheris blast to el mirage it ran 85 mph it was totally stock --would have went faster but it was up against the rev limiter  will mail inj tomorrow   willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 08:06:09 AM »
I managed to get my stock blast to 97mph at maxton. I planned to do a project out of it but decided I needed more then another 20mph so I bought a busa!  :-o I still have an '07 blast stocker for a pit bike and commuter when the busa is in race trim. It really is a fun bike in traffic! Very flickable!  :-D
Good luck with your project, can't wait to watch it happen!
Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline frogpirate

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 05:39:32 PM »
uh, um, well I haven't gotten much done over the holidays. There was a paper-work mix up that I wanted to get cleared up before I got too far into this (now resolved - the bike has been titled in my name). I know it's probably not that important for a race bike, but it makes me feel better. I want to be able to test the FI system on the street before we modify the rest of the bike too much.

And then, I got a little side-tracked:
http://www.candyassllamas.com/oh-no

I'm gathering stuff for the F.I. conversion now. Ron Pavlack (Chalkdust) was kind enough to send me a turbo to try out, but I think it's going to be too large, so I'll be sending it back to Ron. I think it has roughly the same displacement as his CB160. :-)

Ken

Offline frogpirate

Progress!
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 07:59:15 PM »
The first project I want to do is to change from carburated to EFI. There is a nice package tray under the seat that is a great place to put the MegaSquirt ECU, power relay's and fuses. Unfortunatly, it is plastic and attached the the rear 'fender'. If we ever (heaven forbid) crash and want to replace the plastic, we'd have to remove all the EFI wiring first.

I decided to make a new underseat tray out of sheet metal, and seperate it from the rest of the rear fender. First, I made a sketch of what I wanted.

I'm a big believer in mocking things up before commiting them to final material. In this case, poster board was the material of choice. In take one, I found out that the seat latch was in the way, or my tray was just a little too long!

Whoops, won't quite sit down.

There is that pesky little latch. Sure glad this is made of easy to change poster board!I shortened the tray by 3/4" and tried it again. Since I can shorten this with a rotary cutter and a bit of tape, it took all of 5 minutes to make this change.

That's better, it sits flush now.

And now it clears the latch, and I can operate it to unlatch the seat. Once the tray sat down OK, I folded the flaps over to go around the sub-frame tubing. Originally, I had planned on welding these tabs to the sub-frame, but now I don't think that is necessary. As you can see, it lines up with bolt holes in the back and front so it will be held in place with the same hardware as the rest of the rear fender.

Finally, I had to cut away the old undertail from the rear fender. What I needed was a cut-off saw; what I had was a Dremel with a 1/8" drill bit. 247 holes later, and a little sawing with a Xacto saw and I had a very rough hole. A little trimming with a utility knife, files, and finally coarse sandpaper and it's not so bad.

I still have to transfer this to sheet metal. I may just find a local tin shop to bend this up as I don't have a sheer or a brake. At least I can hand them a full size ready to go pattern!
Ken

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 08:03:58 AM »
why dont you buy what we call a hand knife and have a go yourself even if you cut the blank and dont bend it yourself it will save you money in the long run,All the metal work on my bike was done with a hand knife and a cheep nasty 24"hand bender some of it you wont be able to do because of limitations with the equipment but its good fun trying and when you do manage to do it its all your own work.and thats priceless.
All the best and good luck Oz

Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 10:30:38 AM »
I've bent up a lot of stuff like that on the edge of the work bench.  Just clamp between two pieces of metal and hammer it up in steps with a body hammer.  It can come out quite good looking.  Make it with 20 gauge steel and you can cut that with cheap hand tin snips and it will be plenty tough.

Looks good though,

Sum