Author Topic: Greetings and a question...  (Read 17761 times)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Re: Greetings and a question...
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2007, 03:07:26 PM »
Mike, the 1960 and the 1962 Immerso looks very different, especially the front end follows the cars like the Shadoff and the City of Burbanks
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2007, 03:48:24 PM »
Thank you for the reply, Porkpie.  I've always concentrated on the 30's & 40's and am just being to look at the later years.

Was the '62 car totally new or just reskinned (especially the nose)?

Any pictures??

Mike

"The more things change, the more they change." (not Jack)
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2007, 04:20:52 PM »
Dean Moon provided a number of cars for various film projects.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2007, 04:49:08 PM »
Gee!  I wonder what color Dean Moon's cars were?

Mike
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 04:58:43 PM by 4-barrel Mike »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Mugs914

• New folks
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2007, 05:53:13 PM »
That's what I was thinking looking at the pics, Pork Pie. It looks very close, but the nose isn't quite right. Anyone have any pics of the '62 car? Awsome stuff regardless, Mike! Thanks for posting all that stuff.

Moon's cars were always a treat. When I was a kid I thought it WAS the Jocko streamliner that was used in the movie. Doesn't even look close actually, but what do kids know... :-D
Cheers,

Mike Mulligan

Mulligan Racing Development
Vista, Ca.
Mugsxr4@pacbell.net

Offline aircap

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2007, 10:37:23 PM »
Mike, the 1960 and the 1962 Immerso looks very different, especially the front end follows the cars like the Shadoff and the City of Burbanks

As I suggested earlier about Mal Hooper's old liner - here's the pic from Ugo Fadini's website. The car was small, and simple. Google "shadoff special" for more pix.

http://www.ugofadini.com/shadoffstory.html
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 10:39:09 PM by aircap »
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2007, 01:24:59 PM »
The Mooneye streamliner runs for a lot of advertisment, also they had interest to go with Gary Gabelich as the driver for the wheel driven record, which was never released.
The Mooneye color was yellow, but built later than the movie was created.
The two other Jocko Johnson cars, the first was very similar than the Mooneye, was a kind of white as base color with a red (pink touch) around the front end, also this car was smaller in the size. The second one was the Wynn's liner, was black. Both cars are in Ocala in Don Garlits museum in Florida.

I have a picture of the 62 Immerso streamliner, but not digital, so I can't show them here.
I tried to find one, yesterday, but what I found was the 76 Thunderbird Turbine which set a 267 mph record - this record was broken by the late Don Vesco with the Turbinator - 427 mph.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Mugs914

• New folks
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2007, 07:04:03 PM »
I remember the Jocko streamliner being painted red and used in a series of Budweiser adverts in the late '70s or early '80s before it became Mooneyes.  As I recall Gabelich drove it during the filming at Bonneville. That car was built as an LSR car from the start with Allison power. The other two were built as drag cars. The red and white was built in the early '60s, I think, and the Wynn's car was built in the '70s for Don Garlits.

Were there any more of those Jocko cars built or just those three?
Cheers,

Mike Mulligan

Vista, Ca.
Mugsxr4@pacbell.net

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2007, 12:28:04 AM »
I don't think these are the cars in the movie... but cool none the less.

And I think it was the Moon 'liner that was painted for the Bud spot.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 12:30:14 AM by Dynoroom »
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2007, 02:54:47 PM »
Don't remember what year it was, but I do remember coming alongside Dean on the big end return road just as he was disconnecting the nitrous line. Maybe that's part of the reason you can't run gas with a nitrous bottle on board.

roadtrip

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2007, 04:46:09 PM »
From "Moon Equipped' - Sixty Years of Hot Rod Photo Memories", Fetherston Publishing 1995.

"Built by 'Jocko' Jhonson, this (pic of yellow/black Moonliner) handformed aluminum streamliner was used by Dean Moon as a promotional tool. Originally powered by an Allison V-12 aircraft engine, the Moonliner was converted to big block Chevy power and used only for exibition runs, movies and car shows. The Moonliner was recently (1995) restored by MoonEyes USA."   page 121.

"Dean repainted the Moonliner in red and blue and leased it out to Kirin Mets soda in the late seventies." (pic of car in front of product billboard) "The ad showed Dean driving the car and then a stunt double was hurled into the hand on the billboard after the engine 'blew up'."  page 124.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2007, 05:24:37 PM »
When they used it in the Budwhinner (there's a headache in every can) comercials the chute kept coming out upside down. As I remember hearing it took quite a few "takes" to get it right.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2007, 08:37:37 PM »
Here's a little JOCKO 101:

The first jocko streamliner was fibregalss bodied and had an early Hemi with floatless carburetors and waseiven by Jazzy Nelson- no relation to Jim of Dragmaster fame to an 8.35 Drag race"World Record" ET in the late '50s at Riverside raceway. The body was designed for DOWNFORCE (traction) not speed. Jocko studied a lot of '30s german design work.

The Moon streamliner was/is an aluminum-bodied car and was to orinally use a Ford v-8 tank engine and later a half Allison  and finally raced with the full v-12. Jock experiment with a slider clutch probably before anybody in the car.

The late Emory Cook took the car on tour and it ran competitive Gasoline Dragster speeds for it's time.

The black Garlits car was commissioned by Big Daddy and Jocko went to Florida to build it. Funny car driver Butch Maas drove it at OCIR and he told me it felt like it "weathervaned" on its runs.
Jocko gets angrey when that's brought up.

There may be as many as three re-pops of the original Hemi streamliner and they are of later more recent manufacturer.

None of the above originated as a land speed car.

5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2007, 08:59:37 PM »
P.S. to above post-

Excuse the sloppy typing on my JOCKO 101 post above- I've been timed out before a couple times with longer posts and was hurrying as fast as two fingers can go.

A comment on the original Immerso streamliner- it looked like it was influenced by the Chet Herbert car from the early '50s that was originally slated to have a water-cooled Franklin opposed- six engine -see Tucker-.

The Immerso turbine car that the Ferguson's purchased from the estate is an attractive shape but a little bulky, considering it was used as a serving table at their open house and people could file by on either side for food.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Mugs914

• New folks
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2007, 09:12:51 PM »
Thanks for the info on the Jocko car. I didn't realize the aluminum car was built for the strip. Now that you mention it, I remember reading somewhere that he had designed the first car to make downforce as opposed to drag reduction.

A turbine serving table??? Guess it kept the meatballs warm...
Cheers,

Mike Mulligan

Vista, Ca.
Mugsxr4@pacbell.net