Author Topic: Books and Magazines stories of interest for the LSR minded  (Read 14126 times)

Offline Marcroux

Books and Magazines stories of interest for the LSR minded
« on: September 14, 2007, 08:00:26 PM »
 The November issue of Hot Rod has feature story on the Goldenrod restoration that everyone may find interesting and one very bad mistake in a sidebar that is a real howler! I let you had the fun of figuring it out. ( One small clue, if it did happen it would have been the comeback story of the millennium  :-D) The November issue of Dirt Bike has feature story on building a CRF450 for Bonneville, lots of fun mistakes in it for the detail minded.
  I got a copy of John Stein's book "World's Fastest Motorcycle:the day the Bonneville salt stood still" today in the mail. Have not read it but the pictures look great and it has a DVD it.
  Let not forget Rocky Robinson's book "Flat Out". I read it and liked it alot.  Remember Christmas is coming and it would make a great socking stuffer for you Ack Atack fans.
 Marc

Offline power58

Re: Books and Magazines stories of interest for the LSR minded
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 11:03:59 PM »
Thanks for the reading list. Always on the lookout for motor head books and magazines. Will look over the Hot Rod goofs. I subscribe to Hot Rod
but it is more fluff than good reading. The Rodders Journal and Street Rodder are my favorites right now. Off to Amazon Books to see what they got. 
My inner child pretty much runs the place

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 12:28:27 AM »
The November issue of Hot Rod has feature story on the Goldenrod restoration that everyone may find interesting and one very bad mistake in a sidebar that is a real howler! I let you had the fun of figuring it out. ( One small clue, if it did happen it would have been the comeback story of the millennium  :-D) The November issue of Dirt Bike has feature story on building a CRF450 for Bonneville, lots of fun mistakes in it for the detail minded.
  I got a copy of John Stein's book "World's Fastest Motorcycle:the day the Bonneville salt stood still" today in the mail. Have not read it but the pictures look great and it has a DVD it.
  Let not forget Rocky Robinson's book "Flat Out". I read it and liked it alot.  Remember Christmas is coming and it would make a great socking stuffer for you Ack Atack fans.
 Marc

Thanks, I'll have to check these out.

I might have to drag out the rule book, but the CRF450 would put you in M, right?  I would think a Ninja 500 would be cheaper, and it would save you from re lacing wheels for proper tires.  What do you have to do to get into M with a production bike?  wishing I had my rule book with me :)

Wasn't there a guy building a KX100 for his wife?

Offline JGMagoo

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 12:53:26 AM »
I just finished reading "One Good Run" , a life history of Burt Munro. I can't remember who the author was, I got the book at the library, and have returned it.

I loved the book!!  The story of his early years was great!

I read the article about the Goldenrod in HRM. Good pictures.

I wish somebody would post a schematic or drawing of how the power-train in that thing was laid out. I have looked at various web sites and many pictures and still can't figure it out exactly.

JG
aka Jim McNaul
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Marcroux

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 04:50:47 AM »
 Tim Hana wrote "One Good Run". He also wrote the John Britten bio which is very well written and researched. I recommened it highly to anyone. However one problem with "One Good Run" is it's a dramatic recreation of Burt Munro's life, in other words a novel. (roman à clef for you english majors) So you need to take anything written in it with a grain of salt.  This is written in the introduction of the book by Hana. He recomments "Burt Munro:Indian Legend of Speed" by George Begg for it's meticulous research on Burt's racing. Both books can be found on the Amazon web site.
 Marc

Offline power58

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 08:57:25 PM »
I read one good run first and it was great. Then got Burt Munro Indian Legend of Speed by George Begg and it was fantastic. It filled in some of the missing parts of one good run. George Begg knew and raced with Burt for 25 years. I really liked the technical side, George explains Burts engines and transmission mods. Only buy it from Amazon book since Ebay people want over $35 for it. The book is in the 11th printing and a very good read. The Sep / Oct issue of Vintage Motorsport has a great story on Mickey Thompson "The 400 MPH Man" written by Tom Madigan
a friend of Mickeys since the 50's. Part 2 will cover more of Challenger I and Bonneville.     
My inner child pretty much runs the place

Offline wolbrink471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 11:16:30 AM »
sockjohn

for whomever cares...the article was in the october 2007 issue of dirt bike.

the dirt bike article focused on the AMA 'MPS-P-G' record of 120ish........mps with a p engine ?!? I went online and found the record in the BUB book and it really exists. it was from 2004

i thought the best part of the article was that the author used the 'c' word more than once!!!!

Mark

by far the best thing about the entire issue was the 'roost picture' on pg 20/21 of ben carlson backing the big supermoto aprilla with the number ONE plate in way deep! As most of you know...it is always really cool to see a friend getting press in a national magazine!
more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike at...... www.wolbrinkrace.com

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 11:27:58 AM »
January 1933 Motor magazine, currently on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTOR-ANNUAL-JANUARY-1933-ART-DECO-HOT-ROD-INDY-MUROC_W0QQitemZ130153215933QQihZ003QQcategoryZ10076QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
has an article on "racing" at Muroc.

Shipping seems excessive, though.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 01:09:38 PM »
Re the Summers driveline-SAE paper 660390 has a 3/4 view drawing of the chassis and a top view showing the driveline orientation as well as technical (wind tunnel) data and a few pictures.
It should be available from www.sae.org and I think under $20.00
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline wolbrink471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 02:57:26 PM »
The November issue of Dirt Bike has feature story on building a CRF450 for Bonneville, lots of fun mistakes in it for the detail minded.ohn Stein's book "World's Fastest Motorcycle:the day the Bonneville salt stood still" today in the mail.

Happy Sunday!

I am busy with non-garage chores and cant stop thinking about the article referenced in this post.

more specifically....

the article refers to a 500-MPS-P-G......I understand that organizer provided gas must be used to qualify for 'p' motor.....so we are really talking about MPS-P

A 500 cc MPS-P record exists in the BUB rule book, but it hasnt been updated to match what the magazine guys are claiming on their website.      http://www.f2racing.net

is mps-p really a modified partial streamline bike with a production motor?

is this possible?

i hope there is an answer out there....i am starting to worry about sleeping tonight :-D

Mark

more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike at...... www.wolbrinkrace.com

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 06:43:48 PM »
Strange indeed.  MPS/P what?  The record shows it is held by a Harley.    Leaving one to think it is a pushrod class.   Forgive my ignorance but isn't a CBR450F an OHC motor?   I'm not certain on that but if it is it shouldn't be running in what appears to be a pushrod class.   I'll have to get a copy of Dirt Bike and check it out.

I was at the supermarket and checked out the article.  It did say they were running in MPS/PG.  But their motor is an OHC so it would appear they are barking up the wrong tree.  Or BUB isn't too fussy.   At El Mirage there is no M class for bikes.  They are bunched in with the A class.  APS/G record at El Mirage is 166.970.  The APS/PG record is 129.817.  At Bonneville the APS/G record is 169.890 and the APS/PG record is 111.015.  If they are running APS/G they have their work cut out.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 08:57:44 PM by Nortonist 592 »
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Robin UK

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 05:29:49 AM »
First thing to say is that the bulk of the article is great and clearly shows that Mike Cook and team have done a great job on the car. When it came to Goodwood a few years back, Brian Palmer - who took care of SSC transportation worldwide - helped to unload it and was shocked at what a mess it was underneath.

It's when they try to explain the historical context that they get their knickers in a knot. In particular, there is a side bar where they claim "the straight scoop" from Chyrsler engine man Peter Dawson about why the engines were taken back after the runs leading to stories (according to Hot Rod) that they were either underweight and/or super secret. They say " After taking the record from Englishman John Cobb, the team was hoping he'd come back and make it a race, so they were planning to build more powerful hemis." They go on to say, "Unfortunately, Cobb never came after the record and the match up didn't happen."

For a start they didn't take the record from Cobb and it would have been difficult for him to make a race of it in 1965-66 given that he was killed in 1952 attempting the water speed record in his jet boat Crusader. I thought maybe they'd just got the name wrong but they repeat it earlier in the article and compound the error by saying they were after the "internal combustion engine speed record"  which is also nonsense.

Granted it was a confusing time for the outright record because the jets had arrived by the time Goldenrod was ready to run. Cobb's record had stood since 1947 and was indeed set using internal combustion engines - albeit a pair of aero engines.  By they way, in another article in the same issue of Hot Rod about this year's Goodwood Festival of Speed, they say Challenger was first over 400mph. Wrong again - that was Cobb in 1947 with a return run of 403 when he set the record. But then Breedlove, Tom Green and Arfons upped his record using jet cars (a category created by the FIA after the FIM had ratified Breedlove's record) while Donald Campbell had taken what was by then newly described as the wheel driven record with his turbine engined Bluebird. It was that 403.1mph wheel driven record which Goldenrod was after. Hot Rod don't have to take my word for it, just go back and read any of the articles they published themselves at the time. It's only latterly as others (Teague with a blown motor and Vesco with a turbine) have upped the wheeldriven record that the tag of fastest nornally aspirated car has been applied. That's not in anyway meant as a criticism. The car they produced all that time ago is still remarkable today. SSC and Dieselmax aero guru Ron Ayers cites Goldenrod as the logical start point for anybody designing a multi engined car. Quite an accolade in my book.

Robin

Offline AJR192

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 09:25:54 AM »
I may be wrong, but I thought someone told me that Chrysler took the engines back because The Summers used the smaller scoops on the 13th. And the car wore the red, white and blue paint job for a time because the brothers were in the process of selling it at one time, and the new owners painted the car before the deal fell through. Any history buffs know?

Offline Marcroux

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 09:28:01 AM »
 You got it Robin and it only took a month for someone to write about it. I think Hot Rod mixed up Donald Campbell's career with John Cobb's. A quick google on the internet would have straighten out Hot Rod's factchecker. I don't know were the underweight nonsense about the engines came from. Was Mickey Thompson building his new record car at that time? Maybe this is who they were waiting for to take the record. Also I remenber a story from a Hot Rod annual that said that Goldenrod burn alcohol because it was overweight. Anyone else remenber this?
 Marc