Author Topic: Help to identify car  (Read 12352 times)

Offline Terry

• New folks
Re: Help to identify car
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2007, 09:44:41 AM »
Terry, if you need to do more fotos of those timing tags, make certain the light is not straight on to the tag. Let the light skim across the tag and it will show the stamped characters much better. It's called cross lighting.
To demonstrate this to your self, take a flashlight and hold it at about a 10 - 15 degree angle and you will see what I am explaining.

I may have fotos of that car from B'ville in the year that it ran with the number 69. I remember a roadster with that number. If I find it, the negative would likely be  B/W . Magazines didn't really want color images then but I may have a shot of it on the course. All I need to know for CERTAIN is the year that it ran.

FREUD

Here are the timing tag for you. Thanks for all your help. I'm hoping to find the magazines that the car was in.

I'm not the greatest computer guy, but try to double-click the picture of the tags. They should get bigger to where you can read them. BUt here's what they say. The Bonniville tag says car # 169 and the date is just the yaer, 1971 Thanks to you all. You've made my week forsure, and my moms too!

The first timing tag says. Car Number 169
THIS-- C-Gas Roadster
OWNER--GEORGE GOODRICH
HAS BEEN TIMER AT--144.95 M.P.H
AT BONNEVILLE, DATE 1971

The second one says
CAR NUMBER 69
THIS C-GAS ROADSTER
OWNED BY GEORGE GOODRICH
HAS BEEN TIMED AT 138.48 M.P.H.
AT EL MIRAGE, DATE 7-11-71

Thank again. Terry

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2007, 07:37:58 PM »
Played with the tags, somewhat more readable now.

Mike

Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 10:01:49 AM »
E-Mail me your address and I'll send you the results for the 2 events you have posed the vehicle ran during 1971. JD Tone  gmc6power@earthlink.net   
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline DSR Bruts

• Salt Fever Reliever 1
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, 09:36:42 PM »
Back when I lived in Denver and was a member of the Denver Roadsters (President in 1975), I met George and the white roadster.  I believe he was a member of the Denver Roadsters if I remember correctly in the mid to late 70's, and think that this was the only car he drove.  George was a great guy and always alot of fun.....I drove my '29 highboy alot even in the winter....just ask Norm Francis and so did George.  Lost track after I left Denver in '81.  Anyhow, maybe this will help.
Bill and Ross Brutsman
778 D/STR
SDRC, BNI, SCTA, NSRA, SEMA
De Oppresso Liber

Offline DSR Bruts

• Salt Fever Reliever 1
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 01:50:23 AM »
Just back from a trip to Denver to work and see some friends.  I ran into an old Denver Roadster member who works for Competition Specialties in Denver as an outside salesman.  His name is Rick Suby and he has had roadsters as long as I have known him.....probably around 30 years at least.  George when he moved to Denver lived with Rick while he was waiting for his wife to move to Denver.  Rick recalled that George lived with Rick about 4 months.  His roadster spent its time outside in back of Rick's house next to a shed.  This was the only car that George had at the time, so it was his daily driver.  Apparently George's wife didn't like the job in Denver and they moved back to California.  As both Rick and I remember, it had a big block Mopar motor that was set back quite a bit.  It also had push button torque flite transmission with a console that came up, like a shifter, only with the push buttons on the end like early Mopar's.  It had aggressive "blocked tread" almost off road tires on the rear.  It was a dual purpose car, just like in the old days and he wasn't afraid to race it.

Rick can be reached at Competition Specialties in Denver where he works, and he can probably give you more info.

Have a Great Day!
Bill and Ross Brutsman
778 D/STR
SDRC, BNI, SCTA, NSRA, SEMA
De Oppresso Liber