Author Topic: Bub Report  (Read 123457 times)

aswracing

Bub Report
« on: September 02, 2007, 11:18:57 PM »
Greetings from my room at the Stateline ;)

It's a good event, a nice sized turnout. This event gets bigger every year.

We pulled in yesterday at 1:30 or so and the closest trackside spot was probably a quarter mile from the the tech/registration/impound area. Second row was only fractionally closer. Third row didn't appear to me to have enough room for a truck/trailer setup. So a quarter mile away we parked.

Registration was only open for pre-entries, so we did that, it went quickly, and then got tech'ed, which was also painless. We were sipping Fat Tire well before 4:00. Denis cleared the salt about 5:00 though.

Rick at ERC wasn't open for business on Saturday, so we pushed the gas class bike down to him this morning, only to learn he wasn't going to open until 10:30. Pushed it all the way back. Rider's meeting was at 11:00, so shortly before that we just took the truck & trailer down to the fuel truck figuring we'd get fuel, attend the meeting, get in line, and go. But there was a long line to get fuel. We were in that line probably a couple hours.

So finally we get in line, and despite the separate course for the RWB's, we were in it most of the day. We finally got to go about 3:00.

We staged both bikes at the 2 mile (a 1350 M-PG bike and a 2000 MPS-PF bike). Sent the gas bike with my wife Susan riding, then the fuel bike with me onboard.

The gas bike has run 167ish multiple times, but she only managed 158. When I talked to her, she described lots and lots of wheelspin. Said it was in the limiter easily and moving around a lot.

On the fuel bike, well, it was a handful keeping it hooked up and going straight. Several times I had to back out of the throttle ever so gently just to keep control. Then I'd roll back into it until it scared me again. About halfway through the timed mile I had a big gust of wind that moved me over. I had to back out a bit and counter steer and give it some english and roll back in.

Anyway, I went through with a 203.8. I had a conservative tune in the bike and really had it set up for a 210ish speed. So the conditions didn't kill me all that much. I have to admit, though, I was a bit surprised by the conditions, after the all the talk about the course being fine. The pits are absolute mush. It's a mess. The drive between the boat ramp and the pits is rough and slow and much of it is wet. The course is smooth but there's just no bite.

So after we met up again at the 7 and got all loaded up, we had to make some decisions. Both of us actually qualified on our records, despite being well below the capabilities. Susan's class record was 146 something and my class is open.

But we were short on time, with a scheduled 5:00 shut down. Turning around the fuel bike is complicated and time consuming, it needs an oil change and refueling (nitro). The gas bike is relatively straightforward. So we talked about it on the way to impound and decided we'd run the gas bike only, and maybe park the fuel bike for a few days until the course improves.

We checked in at impound and then moved some ballast from the fuel bike over to the gas bike, hoping that'd help her get some more bite. I really didn't want to move to a taller gear, the bike was already a handful, I wanted to get it to hook up instead.

We got sent back to the 7 mile at about a quarter to five for backup passes. A storm was brewing in Wendover, we could see it, and it was getting windy. She returned into a 21mph head wind according to the time slip and could only muster 150. But the wheelspin was much better. Anyway, the average was 154, so we put it in the bank, pending a tear down which we'll do at the end of the event.

So we're going to screw around with the gas bike for a few days. It should go much faster. I'd like to get some good non-wind influenced data before deciding on a gear change or whatever. But there's much more in it.

Then if the course gets any better, maybe bring out the nitro bike again on Thursday or Friday, maybe even put some more juice to it.

I have lots of pics but no way to upload them. Long story.

I'll try to report in daily and give a little update if anyone is interested.

I didn't get a lot of other people's times because they're only read off periodically, but I did notice Jason turned a 223 on his first pass, and I believe that was unfaired. He must be hooking it up a lot better than me.

landracing

Re: Bub Report
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 11:56:19 PM »
Thanks for the report Aaron, I am on the other side of the spectrum at the moment.. So good to hear some reports... Ive have changed thumbs up my ass waiting on my Haltech ECU... Wiped chassis down about 3 times, lubed chain about 7 times, cleaned rims a few more times, and go by a kick the wheels a few times... Just waiting on the part...We hope to be there Late Tuesday night in hopes to get a run in on Wednesday...

Jon

Offline peglegcraig

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 12:03:52 AM »
A big thank you for the Bub Report :-D We plan on driving up on Tues and watching, visiting and learning. Hope things continue to improve for everyone and that Jon gets his parts and can join in the fun.

aswracing

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 12:14:35 AM »
We'll be pulling for you, Jon.

Sorry I can't give real reports with results like Jon, just not enough time, with running 2 bikes. But I'll at least try to check in with what's happening with us.

I went to the Econo Lodge and uploaded pics, here's a few:

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 12:17:55 AM »
Thanks for the update Aaron, I am pulling for you guys to do well. Please tell Dan I said hello and thanks for all of the tech support.

Scott

aswracing

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 12:29:41 AM »
Thanks, Scott, and I'll tell him.

A few more:

An XBRR (factory Buell race bike)

How many here know what this is?

aswracing

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 12:33:13 AM »
Just one more ...

I started land speed racing in 2000, as part of the collective effort known as "Team Elves".

Since we started, these are the members and supporters of Team Elves that we've lost.

Hans Idzerda was a fine Dutch gentleman and good friend who recently lost his battle with cancer. God Speed, Hans.

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 12:46:29 AM »
Great pics Aaron! I also wanted to thank you for pulling those pistons out of your bike so we could get mine going, thank you! I finished the motor today with the exception of a few small things.

Scott

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 12:50:51 AM »
Thanks for the report and pics,Aaron.Hope you guys get some decent runs in. I am having withdrawals.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 12:55:33 AM »
I have heard from a few on the salt that Jason McVicar has the conventional (naked) top speed at 223 and the sit on top speed at 241.  Again, that is nothing official. 
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"
      Texas           "Clothed" (by accident)

Offline Snail

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 09:59:39 AM »
Thanks Aaron.  I think I've finally cried myself dry over my broken motor.  Keep an eye open for Panchop and the Dead Jesters.  He's running an old Kawi, APS-BG 1K, with a drag bike fairing.  #492.  His first season, might need a word of encouragement.

Big congrats. to Jason, he's fast!!

When and if, time allows, (stay focused)...more reports, please.  Tell Susan hi.

landracing

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 11:07:34 AM »
Ack Attack streamliner pencil rolls during a return run at the BUB meet, it may have been in the measured mile. Rocky went high 290's down run and went to return and reported got into a bad wobble, went on its side and started pencil rolling. Rocky is OK. Dont know the extent of damage yet.

Jon
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 11:15:30 AM by landracing »

Offline peglegcraig

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2007, 11:11:29 AM »
Umm, It looks like an Aermacchi to me. I always wanted to have one of those.......
 Glad to hear that Rocky is OK, Hope the liner is OK too.
 Rain, Rain, go away.

Offline Freud

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2007, 11:16:47 AM »
Has anyone noticed how much we rely on Jon and his reports?
Maybe I'm the only one that is slobbering on my keyboard.
Lets keep those cards and checks arriving for the site.
FREUD
Since '63

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2007, 01:34:23 PM »
Umm, It looks like an Aermacchi to me. I always wanted to have one of those.......

I would confirm this......
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 01:47:27 PM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)