Author Topic: Bub Report  (Read 123456 times)

landracing

Re: Bub Report
« Reply #105 on: September 07, 2007, 12:56:08 AM »
Glen the SCTA timer doesn't put up with that crap... People can correct me if I'm wrong, but if a participant at speedweek failed to pull off the course or powered to long, they were warned, and if the action continued they were asked to put it on the trailer...

Not being able to find a rider, or see if he/she is off course to send the next vehicle, seems to me was a lack of course stewards, BUB participants you can correct me if I am wrong.. The scta has one ever mile to make sure people are clear of course so you can continue the meet.

This is something that is very crucial to the meet, need to get off course as fast and safely as possible, if not you are holding up the meet, and if you are it's not acceptable... Put it on the trailer...

Jon

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #106 on: September 07, 2007, 01:04:07 AM »
Wildbro, I will agree with you to a certain extent. There were quite a few riders who didn't need to be on the long course. Most were done by the 2 mile. I know, I sat there and watched them, waiting to run at the 2 mile. I also sat there at pre stage watching the FIM bikes and long course bikes run 3 times while I sat in line. As I saw it that was the problem. FIM and long course was given priority. If they want to run a meet that way that is their option, but, I don't think the FIM bikes will support the meet, I dunno. We were told at Mondays rider meeting things would change, they didn't as I understand,I dunno cuz I left. The whole system was a cluster Fiat as I saw it. Which I don't understand as Dennis has been doing this for a long time. Maybe he has oldtimers. So, besides a whole new top end we're talking a hard look at WOS. I gotta go!

Jon, I agree completely. There was no supervision of riders. AKA, FIM.
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2007, 01:38:27 AM »
Mr. Amo,
Can that page of stuff that described the suitable running procedures be rescued and printed again ?
I did in answer to a question about the conduct of the first BUB meet.
I guess I can type it again, it is still as valid as ever.
Jack  :|

I FOUND IT !
It is under Web site suggestions at the end of the list of forums.
It was started by RHT and is worth reading again from the beginning, or in the case of some, for the first time.
You can also do a search on here titled "course".
Jack
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 03:33:37 AM by JackD »
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Flyboy

• Graduate National Test Pilots School,
    • http://WWW.SKYDANCERLE.COM
« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2007, 11:01:10 AM »
A great highlight was watching Marty Dickinson, now eighty years old, mount his Vincent with the cameras clicking away and then make a couple 140 mph runs! I bet he has a couple stories to tell...
One Fast ZX-14
Three World and Four AMA Land Speed Records
One Fast Cessna Turbo 210

aswracing

« Reply #109 on: September 07, 2007, 11:18:15 AM »
I just got home. We went to the awards dealie last night and then drove all night.

I'll tell you what, that pre-stage fiasco found the limits of my patience. I went from being the nicest guy, totally supportive, understanding, patient, to being a total asshole. I lost it and got in the list keeper's face big time when I realized people were making multiple passes on the same day and we'd been waiting for two days for a pass. Then on Thursday morning, as soon as the list keeper showed up, I ripped him a new one again, let him know in very clear terms that if they pulled that shit on me again that day I'd be all over his ass and they'd have to throw me out to get me out of his face. I paid my entry fees just like everyone else and I was not about to let them do that to me again.

There were people who literally ran 3 and 4 times in a single day while others waited for days. I think some people were on the list multiple times. There may also have been some shenanigans with bike numbers that helped mask the fact that they appeared on the list multiple times. I don't know how they were doing it, I just know that system is a total, complete, cluster Fiat and they need to fix it.

It kind of set a bad mood for other things as well. I got so spun up that when I went to impound after qualifying, and they told me I was not allowed to change the oil in my bike (it's a nitro bike), I went ballistic on the tech guy as well. I was just totally, completely, fed up with any and all bullshit by that point, I had zero patience with any more of their incompetence. An argument ensued as to whether or not oil was a "part" (the rule book says you can't change "parts" between qualifying and return runs). I eventually won the argument, but not without spreading a lot of ill-will. Probably wasn't the best of time to try to pull that kind of crap on me, I had a short fuse for anyone wearing a red "Staff" shirt. Even AMA Ken wasn't exempt from my wrath.

Anyway, the course was much worse on Thursday, when I brought the nitro bike back out, than it was on Sunday when I first ran it. I'm 48 years old and got my first motorcycle at age ten, and in 38 years of riding I've never been so scared as I was on my qualifying pass. That bitch was just all over the place, I thought I was going down at 200mph a couple of times. Between the soft salt and the ruts and the breeze, it was just almost impossible to control the bike. I only managed 197 and scared myself shitless doing it. The backup pass was worse, but I took greater care, and slowed to 188. This same bike with no changes was solid as a rock last year on a 207mph pass at WOS. Clearly I don't have it set up right for a rutted, tractionless course. But I survived and put a weak record in the books.

There was a woman on a turbo 'busa, Leslie(?) Porterfield, who went down at speed shortly thereafter, while we were tearing down my bike in impound. I don't know anything about the crash except someone told me she had broken some bones. I do know she had run as high as 194 earlier, so she's not some shrinking violet, she was going for it. I don't know anything about her bike, I just know that my bike wasn't
t safe out there at anything over about 150 and I felt damn lucky to bring it home without wrecking it. How the hell a guy like Noonan goes out there and runs 230's and 240's in those conditions, I don't know. He's better than me, that's for damn sure.

The poor traction is the reason Ack went down too. Fortunately Denis was smart enough to hold the Bub 7.

I'm gonna clean things up and put the motors back together and maybe Susan and I will make it to WOS next week, but only if we hear the courses have dried considerably. It's just not worth it to tow clear out there and spend all that money for mushy salt.

aswracing

« Reply #110 on: September 07, 2007, 11:27:35 AM »
Oh, I should say too, the absolute highlight of my week was that I finally got to meet Jon Minonno, as well as check out his bike, which is an incredible machine. Jon is amazing, he is the consummate racer, and he's both knowledgeable a friendly, unlike most assholes like me.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 12:14:37 PM by aswracing »

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #111 on: September 07, 2007, 11:29:25 AM »
Glad you Susan and Dan made it home safe. Congrats on your records while at the BUB meet.

I had originally planned to attend this meet with my bike this year and it turns out it may have been a blessing in disguise with a few of the problems I had. After all I have heard about this years event it has left a big question mark in my mind on whether or not I will attend the BUB event in future years. I really hope they will be able to make some changes to make things flow a little better for next years event.

Scott
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 11:44:35 AM by isiahstites »

Offline Pete

• New folks
    • pete2dakar
« Reply #112 on: September 07, 2007, 11:30:02 AM »
I went from being the nicest guy, totally supportive, understanding, patient, to being a total asshole.
It's just that red hair thing kickin' in. Don't worry about it... :wink:

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #113 on: September 07, 2007, 11:48:50 AM »
It's kinda like I have been saying, isn't it.

The oil change is just 1 example of little individual Kingdoms that are like individual War Lords.
It seems they just make s--t up.
One dog barks, soon they are all barking, and trying to be louder than the rest.
Only one knows why, soon forgets the first bark, and the others just want to be heard.
It isn't getting any better, but the racers are learning.
The first timers are in awe of it all , and don't know what to expect.
As one of the money only racers mentioned, no tear down, no sweat, no problem. :oops:
Jack
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #114 on: September 07, 2007, 11:50:41 AM »
No worries, Aaron.I would have erupted lots earlier that you, my patience has been waning as my age increases. Glad you are home safe.
I watched Noonan do the same thing as he made a 200++ run into a rain storm one year. He literally disappeared from view about 50 feet away from the starting line.
Guess I should be glad I was not ready with my bike---
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #115 on: September 07, 2007, 11:52:50 AM »
Oh, I should say too, the absolute highlight of my week was that I finally got to meet Jon Minnono, as well as check out his bike, which is an incredible machine. Jon is amazing, he is the consummate racer, and he's both knowledgeable a friendly, unlike most assholes like me.
Next time you get a chance ask him about burn protection that the "All Cow" folks haven't figured out yet. :wink:

aswracing

« Reply #116 on: September 07, 2007, 12:05:41 PM »
After all I have heard about this years event it has left a big question mark in my mind on whether or not I will attend the BUB event in future years. I really hope they will be able to make some changes to make things flow a little better for next years event.

The really ironic thing about this is that I'm a huge supporter of the event. I really, really, really want it to be successful and continue happening. I think it's just cool as hell to have a motorcycle-only event, and Denis is my hero for sticking his neck out there and putting it on. That's exactly why I sponsor an award and have made it a point to be there every year. This event is my number 1 salt flats priority.

Delvene is one of the nicest people you could ever meet. I haven't talked with her at all about this pre-stage fiasco. I figure I need to calm down and repackage it into a more constructive thing first. Bitching is easy, solving problems is quite a bit more difficult, and I want to be part of the solution instead of part of the problem. She deserves as much. I'm just using this board to vent.

aswracing

« Reply #117 on: September 07, 2007, 12:10:17 PM »
Pete, FMJ, thanks for checking in.

Jack, we actually did talk about that. Y'know, it's damn easy on one of these methanol or nitro bikes to hurt a piston and end up pumping large amounts of flammable liquids out the breathers, because so much of that stuff gets past the rings anyway, that when you create lots of blow-by with a hurt piston you're likely to shower the rider. We did it last year at the Bub meet, the only difference is that ours didn't catch on fire while Jon's did.

I've since put a good sized catch can on it but after talking with Jon I'm looking for ways to make it even safer. It really opened my eyes as to how dangerous it is.

I certainly don't think the solution has anything to do with cloth panels or perforations on the leathers. That's just silly.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 12:12:25 PM by aswracing »

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #118 on: September 07, 2007, 12:39:27 PM »
The point was and is the oil change prohibition never was part of any sane rules including the more restrictive FIM.
It is a matter of good judgement and safety that has nothing to do with competitive advantage. :wink:

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #119 on: September 07, 2007, 12:54:18 PM »
..................... I figure I need to calm down and repackage it into a more constructive thing first. Bitching is easy, solving problems is quite a bit more difficult, and I want to be part of the solution instead of part of the problem. She deserves as much. I'm just using this board to vent.

Yep this is a good place to vent. I think I'll add your name to my list of people that I don't have to know what they are thinking  :wink: .  You will go on the list next to my good buddy Kent  :-).

Great report and it sounds like you had an incredible ride.  You have my respect,

Sum