Author Topic: what make/brand/model electric coolant circulation pump are being used?  (Read 9481 times)

Offline bigtim44

• NaCl addict
On our new 540 blown alchohol caddy motor (that wasn't ready for speedweek )the enderle injector pump is mounted on the timing cover where the water pump would go, I would like to remote mount an electric coolant pump.
  So which coolant pumps are folks using on their race cars?

Tim
Salty Box Racing #622 B/DT

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
Re: what make/brand/model electric coolant circulation pump are being used?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 05:25:55 PM »
Meziere makes a good pump www.meziere.com as well as Stewart Components www.stewartcomponents.com.  I personally use a pump made by Stewart Van Dyne, but its not electric.  Good luck on your project.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 05:39:09 PM »
The stewart stuff works fine.  Check jayco as well.
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline RichFox

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 06:46:52 PM »
I have had good luck with Teal 1P580D pumps. I use two.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 07:03:01 PM »
I used a dedenbaugh but it always needed to be primed so i switched to meziere and they work fantastic... pricey but they gave me a discount when i asked and the pumps are a work of ark... ya definitely get what ya paid for
kent

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 07:15:36 PM »
Tim,

I started out using a Shogun pump but it burnt out after a couple of seasons. I went to a Meziere electric pump and am very happy with it's performance. Kent is right about their quality.

Tom

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 07:26:50 PM »
I have used many different ones all which worked. A Jabso brass centrifugal was always reliable for 20 gallons. My CSI is good for about 30 to 35 an was easy to make work. My recent purchase was a Stewart Components wihich is rated at 55 and emptied my water tank thru the return lines of the engine in just under 15 seconds. Now that's flow and flow is contact with the head surface. It's built for racing and can be seen on their website in action. It worked perfect for me at this years Speed Week. Also available thru Summitt..........................Good Luck.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline RichFox

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 09:22:02 PM »
Think I'll look into that.  Thanks Tone.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 09:46:24 PM »
Any of those pumps self priming? Or do they need to be mounted below the water level?

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2007, 11:49:51 PM »
I am very pleased with my Meziere. Called their tech support once for a question and went out of their way to help. Its clear they are proud of the pumps they make and talked about hand waxing each one before its boxed, how they over build them and dont outsource explaining that everything is made in house.
They even invited me to come to their plant to show me around and have lunch.
Never experienced this with any tech group from any manufacture.
My 3 cents on Mezrere.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 02:36:25 AM »
On our new 540 blown alchohol caddy motor (that wasn't ready for speedweek )the enderle injector pump is mounted on the timing cover where the water pump would go, I would like to remote mount an electric coolant pump.

Tim

How much hp ya gona make 650, 750, more? Then ask any of the electric pump builders how much PRESSURE not flow they have. After that take your fuel pump off the front of your engine and drive it with a belt along with a water pump that will do the same. Yes you can run a high flow electric pump but if you do it on the dyno and you have a sight tube in the return line you might "SEE" what i mean.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 05:11:54 AM »
Dyno, funny you would say that, that is the question I had when I called Mezieres tech support (rick y mentioned this to me). I even posted a thread here and what I was told (and seems to be true) is that once the water heats up it builds pressure and pressure is not made by the pump.

I am not saying this is true....but my system did manage to make more than 15 psi on a pump that wont make more than about 5-6 at the head.

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2007, 10:58:54 AM »
What Michael says is exactly right, that’s why I went with the belt driven set up.  I moved my fuel pump from the front cover to the back of my dry sump pump.  It made for a tidy package.  My water pump was originally built for a 270 Offy, and with a custom impeller moves about 100 gallons, and I can dial it in by changing the pulley sizes.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2007, 12:32:40 PM »

Tim

How much hp ya gona make 650, 750, more? Then ask any of the electric pump builders how much PRESSURE not flow they have. After that take your fuel pump off the front of your engine and drive it with a belt along with a water pump that will do the same. Yes you can run a high flow electric pump but if you do it on the dyno and you have a sight tube in the return line you might "SEE" what i mean.

I think you hit on our new problem with Hooley's Stude.  We video the gauges and last year the water temp was just getting to 212 at the end of the 5th mile.  This year with 14-15 lbs boost vs. 8 lbs last year the water temp was going from 212 to to 250 in the last mile.  As soon as he shut the motor off with the elect. pump ( a Meziere) still running the water temp went down to 180.  We run about an 18 gallon water tank.  Since it went down to 180 I know we hadn't heated all the water up to 250.

So do we, not have enough flow, enough pressure, steam pockets stopping water flow???

The temp gauge sensor is in the return off the front of the motor by the neck where we fill the water and we use a washer like restrictor in the thermostat housing.  If the water didn't circulate then I would think the sensor would not of had water around it and would have shown cold.

We run the elect. pump due to the blower drive and the mech. fuel injection pump on the front of the engine.

So now I guess we are searching for answers to get the water we have through the engine.  We also plan on upping the water tank to 30 gallons or so, but that isn't going to help unless we can move the water through the engine better.

Any ideas, suggestions??

Thanks,

Sum

Offline RichFox

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2007, 01:33:04 PM »
Maybe loose the "washer like restrictor". Anyway, I say again, Will any of these high dollar pumps self prime, or do they need to be mounted with a pressure head? You know, under water.