Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1897567 times)

Offline bvillercr

Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 12:38:18 AM »
some good news and some not so good.  First the good news, we have 90% of our coatings finished.

The bad news is...  We went to do a final wash of the block, so we could put the crank in and check clearances when we noticed that KB had not drilled the block for any water holes!!!!  AAAAHHHH!!!  So now we are a little behind, that's racing!  If you look close enough you can see six pensiled in holes where the water holes are supposed to be.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 12:40:40 AM by bvillercr »

landracing

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2007, 12:45:55 AM »
I know why that is, its because you only spent the money on the Stage 8 KB, you needed to purchase the Stage 9 Kit...

Hope it gets done in time,,, If not can I have your rooms??? :)

Jon

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2007, 01:17:27 AM »
What rooms?

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2007, 01:19:02 AM »
We still have a 528 motor that is complete if we need it.

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2007, 01:20:00 AM »
Where are you at In Fresno?  I live in Auberry and work in Fresno.  Running a GT - C car and a motorcycle, 

Carl Johansson
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2007, 02:10:50 AM »
I live in fresno near Bullard High, and my dad and the car are in the clovis foothills.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2007, 11:07:11 PM »
Today we spoke to KB about the water block not being drilled for water use, and even though they were told it was being used for Bonneville their reply was that they didn't know we wanted it for water use.  That being said the guy was very helpful I was told.  So we pulled the sleeves out so we could grind on the inside of the block so water would pass by the sleeves.  Next is to drill the deck for the holes, another day gone by without progress.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2007, 01:46:53 AM »
All deck water holes have been drilled and the sleeves are ready to go back in.  Looks like we will be working on getting the sleeves back in the block on the 4th.  I will try to remember my camera so I can show you all the grinding we had to do; just in case you have to do it in the future. 

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2007, 06:34:55 PM »
This picture shows the water grooves we had to make and the water holes that were drilled.

This one shows the middle studs put in, just in case we need to hold the sleeves down after we put them in.

We finally got all the sleeves put back in and are ready for final cleaning and crank.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 07:34:41 PM by bvillercr »

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2007, 01:30:46 AM »
Only got a few things done today.  Getting ready to put the water tanks back in the trunk.  Will be putting the 496 together this week end.  Will post pictures of the build.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2007, 12:02:10 PM »
We finally found someone to weld our intercooler up for us.  Thanks Carl for trying to help us out in locating a welder.  We are not for away from your location, give me a call and you could come visit our shop.  Location is off of 168 and Sample RD. 

Offline Ervin

• New folks
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2007, 10:39:19 AM »
What did you use to 'coat' your floor pan??? I went by Rick Haynes' shop a couple weeks ago and he showed me salt/rust damage on his car and trailer. He ran in 06, so thats less than a year ago.EVERYTHING needs to be coated and or plated.
 I was just looking for advice on the BEST coating, that you or others would recommend before I subjected my car to the salt?

ERVIN
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 12:01:50 PM by Ervin »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2007, 12:01:37 PM »
POR-15 and spray all metal parts with salt-x, this subject comes up every season. I pressure wash my truck and let it dry. After I spray about 2 gallons of SALT-X on the entire bottom side, including the engine, transmission etc. I also use a gallon of thinner mixed with one Qt. of oil and spray all of the suspension and springs. Both are sprayed on with a Hudson sprayer. When I get home I pressure wash the under side again and then run a sprinkler under it for several hours. When it dries I crawl under it again with a hose and good hose nozzle for another rinse. This usually required a couple of inspections and another rinse or two.

The next day I spray the entire bottom again with salt-X. This product can be purchased via e-mail   www.salt-x.com. Good luck on the salt, the trip, and the clean up.
Glen :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2007, 12:07:36 PM »
What did you use to 'coat' your floor pan??? I went by Rick Haynes' shop a couple weeks ago and he showed me salt/rust damage on his car and trailer. He ran in 06, so thats less than a year ago.EVERYTHING needs to be coated and or plated.
 I was just looking for advice on the BEST coating, that you or others would recommend before I subjected my car to the salt?

ERVIN

Loctite makes a spray that converts light rust into a paintable surface.  I ground away most of the rust and then used the spray.  You need to let it sit for 24 hours before painting.  On the paint I used Glidden alkyd oil based paint.   It has rust preventitives in the paint and is made for metal. 

As far as clean up after the salt, Glens way that he describes is great.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 04:23:13 PM by bvillercr »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2007, 12:30:05 PM »
Isn't that why they call it Bonneville loc-tite. Ask a few that didn't do a good clean up and find the spindles frozen to the pins or worse. The other thing is when you get home don't forget the trailer. Pull the wheels, hubs and do a good clean up as most have electric brakes and require additional attention. While parked on the spray the trailer plug with WD 40 and put a baggie over it. If you have a slide in receiver I soak a sponge in oil and push it into the receiver ( cut to size) I forgot one year and had to put a chain around the ball and attach the other end to a telephone pole to pull it out. A good thing to do is make a check list for prep and clean up as it's easy to forget little things. Just hosing off ain't enough. I am sure others will add to this info list and hopefully Jon can compile it on the web site for easy access.
Glen :-D :?
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah