Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1897496 times)

Offline bvillercr

Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #420 on: August 13, 2008, 05:02:15 PM »
The fuel rails came in and are at the machine shop with the manifold getting prepped for installation.  Fuel pump also came and is already installed.  I'm heading to Precision Auto now and will give an update later tonight.

Offline Geo

« Reply #421 on: August 13, 2008, 05:27:24 PM »
I have been following your build with awe and anticipation.  You have an exciting car and the potential is there.  Glad to see you chasing the big numbers.  We are pulling for you!   Good luck and I will be watching for the report!

Geo

Offline jl222

« Reply #422 on: August 14, 2008, 04:30:30 AM »
  Well its just after 1 am west coast time, left Precision Auto at 12.22 (222) our car # good omen,we need it.
 Troy - Justin -Justin and Cory still there working like mad,listening to hard rock (bang your head our something)
 extra loud, and drinking rum and coke. These guys really do enjoy their work.
 Got the fuel pump and shut off on, new bigger shut off line to tank installed -new electric water temp and helmet seat pad on. Intake manifold all machined for injectors When i left Justin C was starting to weld top bungs in and Justin S was drilling and tapping fuel rails.They want it on the dyno tomorrow,final tune on friday and teach Troy and I how to download and store runs and change things. They want us to email the runs so they can look it over and tell us what and how to change the Fast unit if needed. Times our changing.

JL222

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #423 on: August 14, 2008, 10:40:17 AM »
When I left around 1:30 they had finished welding half of the manifold.  The manifold needed to be heated up so much to weld that the welder kept getting too hot and throwing the breaker.  All of the rails were completed and Justin Sharp relieved Justin C on the welding, it was hot in the shop and welding must have been a mother with the heat.  Not sure how late they worked, will be there today before noon.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #424 on: August 14, 2008, 05:59:40 PM »
bviller,
Two words describe you and they guys working on your car and engine. RACING DOGS!!!!!

Can't wait to see you at the Salt!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Freud

« Reply #425 on: August 14, 2008, 06:51:48 PM »
b'viller...just don't make Jay help you.

See u on the Salt.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #426 on: August 14, 2008, 11:47:23 PM »
Wish we could be there to watch you run.  There's nothing like the rush of being behind the 8 ball and getting the job done.  Especially when there is over 2000hp involved...
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #427 on: August 15, 2008, 08:07:39 AM »
Just got home and out of the shower, it is now 5am.  Had some issues with the fuel rails and finishing them up.  Had a little problem with the ignition, our tuner didn't push the hot wire in far enough to get good contact thus no start.  In the end when we did finally get the timing right the car idled and sounded really good.  The car will go on the dyno later today and hopefull loaded on the trailer by 7pm.  Time to sleep now. :-P

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #428 on: August 15, 2008, 12:49:02 PM »
A few photos of our EFI system. 

Rails are all done.  Just needs fittings and fuel lines.

Manifold is on the car.

The two Justins hooking up the wiring harnesses.

Manifold and system is almost finished.

JL222 and Justin Coffmann working on the initial set up.

Some how we lost a couple A.N fittings so we started the car with only two fuel rails hooked up.  Today the throttle body and the rest of the fuel rails will be complete.  Later today we will put the car on the dyno and get a final tune and some dyno pulls.  I will keep you updated.

Offline comp

« Reply #429 on: August 15, 2008, 01:07:53 PM »
 great pics  :-D

Offline Freud

« Reply #430 on: August 15, 2008, 02:15:02 PM »
Great that you took the time to post.

You have been dedicated to this build site and you are to be commended.

I THANK you for all the people that have enjoyed your contributions.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline jl222

« Reply #431 on: August 15, 2008, 03:45:04 PM »
b'viller...just don't make Jay help you.

See u on the Salt.

FREUD
[/quote

Jay and Arley have had their problems with the top fuel car,but i'll never forget that we finished up the car for 6 months at his shop (por nada) when we got it from Pro Chassis and all the work that he personally did.
 I believe Arley is concentrating on his streamiliner now. It just got to costly to even atempt to run in top fuel (with no sponsers)but they will probably try again knowing Jay and his tenacity.

Hope to see you at Bville JL222

P.S. you don't make Jay do anything.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 03:50:12 PM by jl222 »

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #432 on: August 16, 2008, 11:15:19 AM »
It wouldn't be a normal year if we weren't thrashing!  We had some problems yesterday.  One of our second set of fuel rails was leaking when we fired it up.  Once we think we got it fixed another leak would apear.  We finally welded the ends of the fuel rail to fix it and then the starter started to fail.  After another long day/night/morning we decided to try again today.  We will take out our pain in the but starter and either replace it or rebuild it.  The starter is pinned through the case in just the right spot so buying a new one will make it difficult to position it to work.  Anyway today will not be our departure date.  Maybe tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest, we just don't know at this time.  If at all possible we will be there this meet. :evil:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #433 on: August 17, 2008, 01:17:39 PM »
We took out the old starter yesterday and found that the snout on the casing had broke.  The good news was that my dad had a spare starter to put on.  Well it broke soon also. :evil:  The good news is we got another new starter.  This starter is the replacement upgrade for the old starter.  We are using the stock hemi starter from NAPA.  This one looks to be a gear reduction starter and should hopefully hold up.  We are also going to get a spare today just in case we need one.  We may order a super starter, but it won't be here in time to take it with us to Bville.  We all needed a brake from this car, we are exhausted from the long late hours.  We stopped working last night around 9 and the two Justins needed a break as well.  My dad seems to be doing better than all of us.(truckstop old fart) :-D  Anyway the car is on the dyno and running, but the tune is still too rich on the bottom and we will need most of Monday to do more dyno testing.  Not sure if tuesday will be our departure date but we hope it is.  If not Wednesday at the latest.  Precision Auto owner Justin Sharp and fellow tuner Justin Coffman are seriously thinking of flying in to help us tune this thing on the salt if needed.  They are pretty enthusiastic about helping us go fast.  Anyway that is pretty much all that is going on to date.  We will hit it hard on Monday.  Here is a photo of the engine completed.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 01:20:28 PM by bvillercr »

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #434 on: August 17, 2008, 01:26:15 PM »
Troy,

I think you guys made a great call on taking a break! Sometimes you need to walk away and gather your thoughts. It always seems like when you put all the time in like you guys have done you end up chasing your tail and not be all that efficient(at least for me), you then take a break and come back with fresh minds and everything seems like a breeze to get through. You guys are doing awesome work and please continue to keep us posted.

Scott