Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1898014 times)

Offline jl222

Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #240 on: December 24, 2007, 07:03:18 PM »
    David
  we run gas,when the engine was at idle it registered lean, 18 or 19 i believe but it was fouling the plugs.Someone in this post said we might have problems getting a correct reading do to the mounting of the sensor to close to the end of the header ''reverse air flow exhaust pulse''. Any how we installed it at the lenght from the port that was suggested. Maybe they were thinking collectors instead of single pipe. No mention of either in instructions,we will be calling tech.
    I hoped we could look at this meter during a run to check if it was lean,if not continue on,instead of partial run, check plugs get back in line.
       Good luck  JL222

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #241 on: December 24, 2007, 11:37:20 PM »
    David
  we run gas,when the engine was at idle it registered lean, 18 or 19 i believe but it was fouling the plugs.Someone in this post said we might have problems getting a correct reading do to the mounting of the sensor to close to the end of the header ''reverse air flow exhaust pulse''. Any how we installed it at the lenght from the port that was suggested. Maybe they were thinking collectors instead of single pipe. No mention of either in instructions,we will be calling tech.
    I hoped we could look at this meter during a run to check if it was lean,if not continue on,instead of partial run, check plugs get back in line.
       Good luck  JL222

John I'll about bet anything that you are getting reversion up the pipe. 

We had that problem with Phil's car in the picture.  You can barely see the sensor in the collector (left arrow).  We were getting erratic and lean readings.  I later moved it up into just one tube (right arrow).  Here is how I diagnosed the problem.  With the car running and data logging and also showing the air/fuel on the laptop computer I slid a longer pipe over the end of the collector and that extended it a couple feet.  The readings went down to rich where we thought they were and weren't erratic anymore.  We then moved the sensor up into the one pipe and still got good readings. 

So with the car idling slide a short length of pipe over the one tube and see if things straighten out.  If it does the other option for you might be to run a siphon tube that is getting gas close to the head but the sensor is down the siphon pipe.  Another benefit of this is it greatly reduces the temperatures on the sensor which can also be a problem.  We run a heat sink on the sensor in Phil's car and in Hooley's car also.

Good luck and what I'm really interested in finding out is if you can make the mechanical fuel injection work with the high boost.  If so I hope you might share a secret or two with us.

C ya,

Sum 
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 11:46:50 PM by Sumner »

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #242 on: January 06, 2008, 05:47:33 PM »
Our next crew chief is rapidly getting accustomed to the engine compartment.

Now she is ready to drive fast.

Offline rustyT

« Reply #243 on: January 06, 2008, 07:44:28 PM »
bvillercr
With  those little arms and hands she could get to those hard to reach nuts and bolts,if shes looking for work,we are all tired of those scraped knuckles and elbos,so let us know. :-D :-D

Phil.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #244 on: January 06, 2008, 09:40:22 PM »
She is a cutie and I'd say not camera shy,

Sum

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #245 on: January 07, 2008, 04:52:27 PM »
not usually shy, but is more than one handful.

Offline jl222

« Reply #246 on: January 07, 2008, 05:53:10 PM »

I got 1st dibbs Phill,and Bvillercr is right on about a double handfull.

JL222

Offline rustyT

« Reply #247 on: January 08, 2008, 12:12:03 AM »
bvillercr
I think we will wait a few years,if she hangs out in your camp,maybe she can later help us get through tech without the hick-ups,who knows,maybe she could talk us into paint and a few new parts :-D
Oh, by the way,I know all about the hands full thing,I have a 15 year old daughter of my own,holy crap man!!!
                                                  Phil.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #248 on: January 08, 2008, 03:34:23 AM »
Ah 15.... yes I remember those days... hell I was dumber than a stump all ya had to do is ask my daughter she'd tell ya... its funny, now she's 21 and 3rd year of collage...and it seems my iq has risen some, I’m not nearly as dumb as she thought I was..... in a couple of years I just might be a genius.....
kent

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #249 on: January 31, 2008, 04:56:16 PM »
getting ready to fire it up again after the changes we made.  I will keep everyone informed as usual. :-D

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #250 on: February 03, 2008, 11:47:02 AM »
We started the engine sat. after a few changes.  We changed the barrel valve from a blown gas to an unblown fuel valve, we rebuilt our airiation tube larger for helping out at idle, and we also put in another blow off valve on.  We made some changes to the fuel delivery on start up, but that didn't work well so we changed it back.  Once the engine started we had to tinker with the barrel valve a little and it sounded and responded much better.  Just when it started running pretty good, it ran out of gas!!  Luckily I had brought up some gas for my dirt bike and we used it.  All in all we were pleased at the changes that were made.  We had 15 psi at 3800 and next time I will video it and post it. :-D
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 06:37:24 PM by bvillercr »

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #251 on: February 06, 2008, 06:35:30 PM »
Here is some information on how we keep track of our boost temperature efficiencies.  There is more of an explanation under the technical forum.  This chart is at 70 degree ambient temperature.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #252 on: March 25, 2008, 10:03:36 PM »
Our old hood was just too bulky before with the old set up.

Now that we have more time to work on the car we can work on the little things that need to be fixed.

Now we need to fill the void.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #253 on: March 27, 2008, 09:53:02 PM »
Bought some material to cover the void and we are thinking of leaving the intake uncovered at the windshield.

Offline AJR192

« Reply #254 on: March 27, 2008, 10:48:05 PM »
Is that work of art sitting in your living room?????