Author Topic: glen davis  (Read 7435 times)

cantflyet

glen davis
« on: April 04, 2005, 11:38:00 AM »
hi guys,
 anyone here seen or spoken to or knows how to contact glen davis from the challenge lsr team in australia?

thanks
 craig (ex team member)

landracing

Re: glen davis
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 06:34:00 PM »
As far as I know the car has been sold to a couple people in California. I know that for a fact. As for Glenn Davis im not sure were he was or is off too.

Jon

Offline Dave Cox

• http://www.olddeadcars.com
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 11:51:00 AM »
Hi Craig, I bought the LSR500 car last year. I have some email addresses for Glen, feel free to email me for info.

Dave Cox docauto@hotmail.com

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 11:26:00 PM »
Dave,
 Is this the LSR car that has two Merlins in it? And are you planning to run it?
 Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Dave Cox

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 12:23:00 PM »
That's the one! Likely will run with diesels or turbines (1700hp Turbomecas) first to check out the handling to 400+. We're presently changing to a rear driver configuration, I want to see what the car is doing in front of me rather than feeling what's going on behind, and I get aero stability too (at the cost of some drag, but I can live with that!). It should be a fun toy.

Dave

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2005, 02:33:00 PM »
Dave,
 Will we see you this year?
 Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Dave Cox

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 10:52:00 PM »
not with the big liner, but hopefully with a Honda S600 coupe with a S2000 drivetrain, should be zoomy! Tight squeeze though....

landracing

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 03:33:00 PM »
Dave,

Do you have some pictures of the car in work, and when you shipped and in progress? I would be happy to host all your pictures so we can all see your progress on the car

Jon Amo

Offline Dave Cox

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 06:49:00 PM »
Will do Jon, I'll drop an email when I get back into town.

Thanks

Dave

cantflyet

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 11:19:00 AM »
hi dave, well i never ever thought glenn would sell his baby, must have needed the cash big time....
 i dont understand why you would change the layout of the car as so much reserch and developement went into her.
 turbines!?!?!? i love em but this baby was designed for real engines!(i think im bias as deiter harr and my self built the rear enginge originally from three old spare  ones glenn had sourced) what a beautifull engine....
 anyway my email is lisamthomas@dodo.com.au
  i spent two years of my life as a volunteer on that lovely peice of machinery, dont modify her to much she wont be the same.

craig

Offline Dave Cox

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2005, 11:26:00 PM »
Hi Craig, It's definately going to need some work before it can be run here, the driver's cage is non-existant (all composite, It won't pass tech inspection here). The only changes will be in the steering (mechanical instead of the hydraulic it now has), moving the fuel and water tanks forward and moving the driver to the rear. If the car pencil rolls, I want to have the rear section break off (20g shear pins) and deploy 4 parachutes automatically. None of the center section will be changed, nor will the drivetrain (other than starting with a simpler set of motors and transmissions to wring out the car). Nothing will be altered so the car will again use the Meteors. The suspension and final drives are a thing of beauty! Great engineering went into the car. Visually little will change other than the loss of the 2 side vertical stabilizers and the addition of a single vertical tail (move the CP back). We'll likely even use the front cockpit for the cameras!

I'll drop you an email with Glen's last email addresses, hopefully you can get in contact with him.

Any info you have would be helpful as Glen has not sent the promised technical information on the car.

Thanks

Dave

cantflyet

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2005, 10:19:00 AM »
what a slack penile device glenn is, after all those years he still hadnt caged the cockpit!?!. that was "92-93" when i left and he was talking about doing it then!
 so you like my handy work with the suspension? man i put some hours in on that. geoff lund and i were the bracket kings..
 i read that you bought the car off ebay, how the heck did you find that. would have been one hell of a bidding war? wish i had of known...
 just how much did you end up payin for her?

cantflyet

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2005, 10:42:00 AM »
lundy has all the build pic's. i havnt talked to him in awhile, might give him a call. i dont have much info on the car that would be any use to you, just a tech drawing of the front suspension upright showing geometry and bracket location + a lot of to do lists and some old budget for the month stuff.not much you could use
 i did however keep the orig carburetter, manifold off one of the meteor engines (big brass zenith 2bbl)heavy suckers!

found out the other day that old Harold Clisby died last month, he was an engineer who started clisby airtools in australia. And was the designer and builder of the first and only australian formula 1 engine, the clisby v6 1.5ltr 180 hp @ 11,000 rpm back in the sixties.
 he let us keep "challenge" in his work shop in adelaide for a year

Offline Dave Cox

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 01:22:00 AM »
Hi Jon, just started a new website for the ex-lsr500 Woomera "Challenge" car, go to www.worldlandspeedrecord.com for a few pictures so far. I'll be posting history and progress in the future.

Thanks

Dave

Offline Fabrizio T.

• New folks
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2023, 09:50:12 AM »
Are there any updates regarding this project?Thanks.Fabrizio from Italy.