Author Topic: Prepping for some Land Speed Racing  (Read 10890 times)

Offline smcleod007

Re: Prepping for some Land Speed Racing
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 04:57:22 PM »
"Jason told me the 200 MPH Club is very doable this year as long as I pick a class with a low qualifying minimum."

You're going to have to do some  careful checking to find a "soft" record -- since I see what looks like a wastegate exhaust, which I presume implies this bike is turbo-ed.  Three of the four blown records with stock (or exact replacement) bodywork/1350 cc at Bonneville are over 240, with the fourth one at 233+ (in other words, M/PS/BG (or BF) 1350.  Take off the bodywork and go naked and you've got a much softer target for a record.  Note I said record -- I haven't looked up 2 Club minimums in the classes, so a red hat might still be hard to get.

In 1650 cc the story is about the same -- 230+++/240+ with bodywork, and perhaps doable in naked bike -- except M/BG, which appears to be open.  You should be able to get a record naked - but again -- check the 2 Club minimums before you comb your hair to fit under the new hat.

BUT:  Naked bike (i.e. no streamlining in front of the rider means that most of your windtunnel work will have given you answers that you ca't apply very much -- except for the tail piece and hump on the back data.

I'm not trying to throw cold water on your dreams.  You'll never get the hat if you give up before trying.  Knecum, Yacoucci, Noonan, McVicar, Guthrie, and so on -- You've aiming for some good company by going after the records these riders have established.  Good luck.

Hi Slim,

My attempts for the 200 Club will definitely be naked. I think that's how I want to be remembered. At least it makes for a good story. If I don't make it into the 200 Club this year, there is always next year. I'm really looking forward to the thrill of the ride! Unfortunately I never got to test the bike with out the fairing. Since the wind tunnels revenue  is 90 percent scheduled commercial customers I didn't want to take the chance that something might blow off my bike and damage the 15 foot mahogany propellers. There is no way I can afford to fix them in a timely matter.

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2007, 04:26:10 PM »
IF you have a chance to return to the tunnel, don't be afraid to try the bike as naked as the rules will allow.
That data would tell you a great deal Vs the test data that you have already collected. :?

It was a very interesting exercise at the Air Force Academy on some scale models from a major manufacturer with and without fairings. As hard to believe as it was, the naked bike provided the best configuration. Says a lot about fairings. Lots of times what "looks" swoopy is not necessarily so. :-o

Again, thanks for sharing your experiences. There is lots of good input about the exit loss on the bike. :wink:

Regards to All,
HB2 :-)
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2007, 05:43:56 AM »
Cool deal!

I bet the experience of doing live wind tunnel testing will be a high point for many of those students, and might direct more than one of them into motor sports. The first person experience of sitting on the bike in the tunnel is a very rare experience that might pay some big dividends to them some day.

Now that you have good drag numbers at a known speed you can scale the numbers you get using coast down tests at other similar speeds.

For the frontal area all you need to do is back the bike up to a brick wall and take a telephoto picture and then spend some time counting bricks.

That will give you a good ball park figure to work from.

Larry

Offline Freud

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007, 07:18:18 PM »
How did you hook up with Bob and the Can Am data?  I did the foto of that bike that was published in CYCLE Magazine that year and I just looked at those negative this morning..
I don't know if Bob Barker (that's the spelling on the fairing of the bike) ever received one of those shots or not.  Have Jason tell you about our Bonneville NW Reunion that we hold in Portland every February.
I live in South Everett not far from Silver Lake. Send me a PM and include your e-mail address or a fone #.

FREUD
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 07:58:31 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007, 08:07:52 PM »
Go to the Bonneville General Chat and read the thread........ Re: The "Naked" 200 MPH Club  . It will give you an idea of what is ahead of you. Scott has neglected many "honey do's" to compile that data.
FREUD
Since '63