Author Topic: Water/Methanol Injection Article  (Read 76090 times)

landracing

Water/Methanol Injection Article
« on: April 30, 2007, 01:37:42 AM »
The article on the main page of the website on water/methanol injection sounds like a good additive for tow vehicles with the price of gas right now, and I'm sure climbing over the summer. Snow Performance looks like the have an affordable kit just about for any application and the technology is there.

A 1-2 MPG gain a tow rig could gain, over long distance this could add up to some good money. It could pay for itself in one racing year, since gas prices are on the rise and been talk of seeing $4/gallon by summer. Plus the added benefits for the motor. And anther kit for the race vehicle.

Contemplating one of their kits for the Project600 motor...

http://www.landracing.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=68

Jon
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 01:48:13 AM by landracing »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Water/Methanol Injection Article
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 11:41:26 AM »
We are going with one of their kits using the water only on Hooley's blown stude this summer in the blown gas comp coupe class.  They are working with us and we look forward to using their products.  Hooley will be picking the parts up at their location outside of Colorado Springs next week after visiting me.  He and his wife Wanda are coming by to do some hiking and sightseeing.

Snow Performance is a Land Speed Racing friendly company.  Nate Stewart is their tech guy and has spent many years at B'ville along with his dad Mike Stewart who has been the Chief Inspector on the salt.  Give these guys a call and support the advertisers here and in the rule book,

Sum

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 02:23:17 PM »
In the late 70's and early 80's when we were trying to learn about turbos and gasoline, we had a windshield washer pump with methanol that injected into the top of the carb. Experimented with different sized jets on the end of the hose to moderate flow. Am sure could be done in a much more sophisticated manner now. Also had a knock sensor and the ability to change the advance from inside the cab while driving. Not sure we learned that much but it sure was a fun truck. Ended up building three different motors before we got through. Not cheap but education is always worth while, especially when you make good hp.

Offline firemanjim

Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 02:37:48 PM »
I hope you guys are all planning on running in the fuel classes with this methanol squirter...
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline SnowTech

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 02:48:43 PM »
Well hello to everyone.  I just wanted to stop by and briefly introduce myself and Snow Performance. 

I've been involved in LSR all my life as I was born into a racing family.  My father is "Miler" Mike Stewart.  He is most commonly known for being the SCTA's head tech inspector for the past few years.  I started driving the family '28 Ford Roadster back when I first got my license at 16.  I've run for many years at El Mirage and I currently hold the V4/GR record at Bonneville.  I served a four year term in the Army and spent a year in Iraq.  I'm now out of the military and working as the technical support engineer for Snow Performance.

Snow Performance is the water/methanol injection industry leader.  We're constantly striving to design and build the best in water/methanol injection systems.  We have injection systems available for every application imaginable.  We can support any fuel type and any horsepower level.  The write up that Jon posted is a good overview of how water/methanol works as well as the different types of vehicles the system works on.  Whether you're trying cool the air charge on your Roots-blown small block Chevy or decrease EGT's and make more power on your diesel tow rig, Snow Performance has got a kit that will work for you. 

If anyone has any questions concerning any of our products or if anyone has any questions regarding water/methanol injection in general, please feel free to post up and ask.  I will try to be present on this forum as much as possible to help in any way that I can.  You can also email me at tech@snowperformance.net or call me at 866-365-2762.  Just ask for "Nate" in tech support.

Thanks,

Nathan Stewart

Offline SnowTech

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 02:50:04 PM »
I hope you guys are all planning on running in the fuel classes with this methanol squirter...

The system can be run using water only which is obviously still legal for the gas class.

Nate

Offline SnowTech

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 02:52:43 PM »
I am contemplating a similar set-up for my new bike,also.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120093962312&rd=1&rd=1

I'm pretty sure we're going to be organizing a group buy for Landracing.com members here shortly.  If you haven't already purchased this other system I would consider holding out for the group buy and saving yourself some money.

Thanks,

Nate

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 05:10:53 PM »
Thanks for your reply Nate. I was just making it clear that methanol was illegal in Gasoline classes. Many have tried "water" injectors before with success. There are rules in the book to follow and at Bonneville it maybe a lot easier than El Mirage. I'm sure Dan and others will work it out.  The "legal" guys won't have a problem drinking what's left in their tank. :-D...Thanks again
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 05:28:23 PM »
The "legal" guys won't have a problem drinking what's left in their tank. :-D...Thanks again

Most of us would still drink it if you used ethanol :roll: :evil:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 05:32:41 PM »
If you have anything left to confuse tech. you have too much. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 11:19:17 PM »
Snow Performance has a very good reputation here locally. You see quite a few of their systems up at the drag strip, both on cars and on the tow vehicles, and on the local turbocharged imports.

I have a home built system using shurflo pumps and generic spray nozzles from Mc Master and Carr and now also have an Aquamist system which is another top line WI vendor, that actively supports racing and has bonneville experience. They built the WI system used on the Diesel Max streamliner for example, and build the systems used in most of the WRC rally cars. They have extensive experience with the Subaru due to their WRC experience which is why I chose them for my system.

A third vendor that is active in racing (mostly with the Buick GN folks but now supporting other makes) is SMC.

Each of the vendors have their advantages and disadvantages as far as pricing, features, support etc.
I consider all three of those vendors worth investigating if your interested in building up a system for either a tow vehicle or a race vehicle. They seem to do a good job of taking care of their users.

Larry
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 03:04:07 AM by hotrod »

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 01:39:47 AM »
Group buy sounds good.Keep us informed.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline Roadster943

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 05:48:36 AM »
  I would also be interested in the group buy.
Land Speed Racing, The sheer joy of spending every dime you've got racing for nothing but glory. David Freiburger

Offline }{ead$hot Zod

• http://FriedDiesel.blogspot.com
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 12:20:45 PM »
got my stage 3, just not finished installing it yet
1992 Dodge D250 Cummins running biodiesel and waste vegetable oil.

#284 ?/DT

"I don't do use drugs but my truck does"
->Stage III Meth injector.

http://FriedDiesel.blogspot.com